Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Next Generation of HDDVD Players

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

When are the next gen HDDVD players due to come out? Any price drops?

I want to believe in BR, but every piece of news that comes out about it is discouraging. I'd like to see what steps HDDVD is taking to improve their product.
Old 05-26-06, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Q next year, I'm hearing.

Doesn't matter because there will be firmware upgrades between now and then for current players. We'll see what those do to fix things.

Also, there is an HD DVD drive in the newest toshiba laptop.
Old 05-26-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It most certainly does matter. The A1 doesn't have everything some of us want, and firmware can't change that.
Old 05-26-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't seem to be any public plans as regards 2nd gen so far. BTW I think the Toshiba notebook reference above is priced over $3000 which might be a little steep for some people.
Old 05-26-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
It most certainly does matter. The A1 doesn't have everything some of us want, and firmware can't change that.
I was thinking the same thing. Firmware can't do a lick for hardware upgrades.
Old 05-26-06, 11:40 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
BTW I think the Toshiba notebook reference above is priced over $3000 which might be a little steep for some people.
BTW the Sony BD notebook is $4,000.
Old 05-26-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs
BTW the Sony BD notebook is $4,000.
Old 05-26-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah the notebooks are crazy money.
Old 05-26-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
So then you will also be bypassing the 1st gen Blu-Ray players, which are even less equipped than the 1st gen HD-DVD players?
Old 05-26-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Only in some ways... The major problem with the first gen Tosh seems to be the lock-ups many have reported. It's probably a little premature to claim the Samsung suffers the same issues.
Old 05-26-06, 01:58 PM
Banned

Only in some ways... The major problem with the first gen Tosh seems to be the lock-ups many have reported. It's probably a little premature to claim the Samsung suffers the same issues.
Which is something the firmware CAN fix.

Such as? The only thing i can think of is 1080p.
Old 05-26-06, 02:08 PM
Banned

Don't seem to be any public plans as regards 2nd gen so far. BTW I think the Toshiba notebook reference above is priced over $3000 which might be a little steep for some people.
It's under $3000

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=466265
Old 05-26-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$2999 You're right, under $3000. Just.

BTW how do we know what can be fixed with a firmware upgrade? Region coding would certainly seem to be something that could be "fixed" this way, but the length of time it takes for the device to recognize and play the disc type? How dat?
Old 05-26-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW how do we know what can be fixed with a firmware upgrade? Region coding would certainly seem to be something that could be "fixed" this way, but the length of time it takes for the device to recognize and play the disc type? How dat?
It depends on what is causing it to take so long. We already know that the initial startup time is being caused by the Linux OS "booting." If the version of the firmware that shipped in the player is poorly optimized, then it should be possible to reduce that time by as much as 50%. As far as the time it takes to read the disc, it may be that that portion of the startup can't be improved much, but then again, maybe it can.
Old 05-26-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree, it's all just speculation, which is makes some of the posts claiming firmware will fix all these bugs all the more ludicrous. BTW do we really "know" that the linux os is the cause of the slow boot up? Perhaps it is just one cause. Considering it is the os it would take one hell of an update to alter that aspect significantly!
Old 05-26-06, 03:30 PM
Banned

I agree, it's all just speculation, which is what makes the posts claiming with certainty all the bugs firmware will fix all the more ludicrous. BTW do we really "know" that the linux os is the cause of the slow boot up? Perhaps it is just one cause. Considering it is the os it would take one hell of an update to alter that aspect significantly!
It's not ludicrous since we're told that it's being worked on AND that these things are possible. Plus a firmware has already been updated for Japan.

It's ENTIRELY possible and it's definitely being worked on.
Try again.
Old 05-26-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Are these "problems" widespread or just a bunch of vocal victims? I haven't really seen or heard aside from load times that there is anything amiss. Maybe I don't fixate on each and every report of a problem.

Rest assured, Sony boys, your G1 BD players will have issues too.
Old 05-26-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Firmware is being worked on, but to fix what? As to what can be fixed, who has specified this information?
Old 05-26-06, 05:14 PM
Banned

Firmware is being worked on, but to fix what? As to what can be fixed, who has specified this information?
Your reading comprehension skills are for shit. Either that or your immense love for BD is impairing them.

How many threads are you going to go into and ask questions that have been answered already?

There are threads over at AVSforum that answer these. People have had direct contact with Toshiba. There is a VP at Microsoft who is also working with them. There is also a firmware upgrade that already came out in japan as well.

Please try doing some research yourself next time if you are so very interested.
Old 05-26-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Such hostility towards some simple questions. Should we take it you don't know then, and are just guessing? Yes, I'm aware there has been a firmware update released for the thousand players in Japan, but aren't too sure how that helps anyone in the US. BTW, unless you hadn't noticed, this isn't AVS, so these questions certainly haven't been answered. Please provide more information.
Old 05-26-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Are these "problems" widespread or just a bunch of vocal victims?
The latter.
Old 05-26-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Are these "problems" widespread or just a bunch of vocal victims? I haven't really seen or heard aside from load times that there is anything amiss. Maybe I don't fixate on each and every report of a problem.

Rest assured, Sony boys, your G1 BD players will have issues too.
I haven't had a single issue with my player. No freeze ups or any playback problems. I'm sure they can speed up the boot time a bit with the firmware, but it will never match a regular DVD player.
Old 05-26-06, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Such as? The only thing i can think of is 1080p.
Well there is also High Definition audio. The HD-A1 is only capable of two channel Doby TrueHD and no DTS-HD at all. I am sure future models will have that ability. Assuming the format survives the Playstation 3s attack.
Old 05-26-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Your reading comprehension skills are for shit. Either that or your immense love for BD is impairing them.
Please tone it down a bit. I get that you're a vocal HD DVD supporter, but there's an awful lot of hostility in a lot of these threads now, and I'd like everyone to do their part to keep this a sunny, happy place with rainbows, unicorns, and gumdrop waterfalls like it was a couple months ago.
Old 05-26-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy 345
Assuming the format survives the Playstation 3s attack.

I swear it is absolutely impossible, IMPOSSIBLE for you to post anything without blowing Sony's horn.

If I were you, I owuld put more energy worrying if the PS3 launch will be a success or not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.