Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Columbia House's response on offering HD-DVDs

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mbs
Originally Posted by Drexl
They will probably only offer Blu-Ray discs, since Columbia is part of Sony, right?
Yep, Sony owns BMG who in turn owns Columbia House.
I sent Colubmia House an email from the member customer support section of their website. I asked them when they were going to start offering HD-DVDs for use with my soon-to-be HD-DVD player. Here is the response:

Originally Posted by CH
Re: Service Questions~ (KMM42590085V7626L0KM)

Thank you for your e-mail message.

Account # xxxxxxxxxxxx

Unfortunately, the HD DVD's are not available at this time.

Since we continually add new selections to our
inventory, please watch future printed materials
as well as our website for updates.

If we may be of further service, please let us know.

Sincerely,
Customer Service
Old 05-14-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
I dunno -- that sounds pretty non-committal to me. Every once in a while, I'll have to write a "no, we don't have that" type of message to one of my clients, and I use almost that exact same wording, but it doesn't mean that I think I'll be able to offer anything anytime soon or even ever.
Old 05-14-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I expect a letter like that asking them about carrying just about anything. Very form letter.
Old 05-14-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What's more, they could have thought you were asking about high definition discs in general, not the HD-DVD format in particular.
Old 05-14-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
What's more, they could have thought you were asking about high definition discs in general, not the HD-DVD format in particular.
Well, I specifically asked about HD-DVD and mentioned that I was getting a Toshiba HD-DVD player.

Never know what's going to happen, of course, but the fact that they don't automatically say they'll only be carrying Blu-Ray is promising (to me anyway).
Old 05-14-06, 08:27 PM

that's a stock computer generated response. You would have got the same email if you asked about a specific DVD they don't carry.
Old 06-02-06, 12:01 PM

This is going to be a big factor for me in choosing a HD format (right behind studio support). If CH only stocks Blue-Ray then thats gonna sway me big time over to that side. Being able to get cheap disks is huge. I would not have my 500+ DVD collection were it not for the fine folks at Columbia House.
Old 06-02-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Copper Blue
This is going to be a big factor for me in choosing a HD format (right behind studio support). If CH only stocks Blue-Ray then thats gonna sway me big time over to that side. Being able to get cheap disks is huge. I would not have my 500+ DVD collection were it not for the fine folks at Columbia House.

Be careful - just cause they stock something does not mean it can be had cheap. BMG and Columbia House have been known to have things like video games, etc to supplement DVD or VHS or CD and they were not cheap. The key is when will they allow BD or HD-DVD to be 6 free now buy 3 later or something along those lines - they may not do that for a long time - maybe never if they do not see enough demand to buy in bulk quantities.