Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

XBOX360 HD-DVD add-on = $199

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

XBOX360 HD-DVD add-on = $199

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
No sir. Sorry. I need pictures

That purple cable is interchangeable. The connection to the 360 is proprietary and nothing like any standard A/V connection.
Old 05-11-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, at least the 360 will have an HDMI option. Still think $200 is a bit pricey, but if you already owned the 360 for gaming another $200 for high def movies is probably an easier pill to swallow than a standalone. Not sure what the standalones will go for though by the time this is released.

I forgot the 360 was using that really multipurpose AV out that could be used for almost anything. I think the PS3 is still using the old PS1 AV out that is probably limited to Component.

Last edited by darkside; 05-11-06 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-11-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by darkside
Well, at least the 360 will have an HDMI option. Still think $200 is a bit pricey, but if you already owned the 360 for gaming another $200 for high def movies is probably an easier pill to swallow than a standalone. Not sure what the standalones will go for though by the time this is released.

I forgot the 360 was using that really multipurpose AV out that could be used for almost anything. I think the PS3 is still using the old PS1 AV out that is probably limited to Component.
AFAIK HDMI out / cable hasn't been confirmed by Microsoft, although (again, AFAIK) it can be done.
Old 05-11-06, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It can only be done if the out on the 360 is capable of passing a digital signal. Currently, all the options available are analog. IF the 360 can add an HDMI to its out, then that is a one-up on the PS3.
Old 05-12-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn, I just wish they would tell us if they were going to have an HDMI option or not...Then I can go pick one up
Old 05-12-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm so confused. You either have it or you don't. Whether you use it or not is irrelevent.
Funny, women say the exact opposite.

M$ has claimed that the 360 will have HDMI when/if it is relevant. This suggests that it has the capability internally, but no cable has been sold, yet. It is possible that the add-on drive could have the HDMI output, or that the funky output just needs the proper adapter. This is also why it would likely be an expensive cable. Like most video games, it doesn't have standard outputs so you are stuck with the proprietary cables that hardly anyone makes. The choices are usually Monster (overpriced) or junk.
Old 05-12-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
It can only be done if the out on the 360 is capable of passing a digital signal. Currently, all the options available are analog. IF the 360 can add an HDMI to its out, then that is a one-up on the PS3.
But wouldn't the $499 PS3 possibly also have the same capability?
Old 05-12-06, 02:12 PM

Someone with some more know-how than me would have to look at schematics of both machines, to answer either way. If the output on either unit cannot pass a digital signal then a proprietary port to HDMI converter is not possible. Just like a HDMI to component adapter "is not possible."
Old 05-15-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lik-sang.com is selling a HDMI cable for the 360....not sure how accurate this is.
Old 05-15-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
lik-sang.com is selling a HDMI cable for the 360....not sure how accurate this is.
They aren't really selling it, at least not yet. It is just listed as "Temporarily not available". But, it does get my hopes up!
Old 05-15-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Someone with some more know-how than me would have to look at schematics of both machines, to answer either way. If the output on either unit cannot pass a digital signal then a proprietary port to HDMI converter is not possible. Just like a HDMI to component adapter "is not possible."
HDMI to component is not possible because of HDCP. Choice, not technological skill.
Old 05-15-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
HDMI to component is not possible because of HDCP. Choice, not technological skill.
Exactly. It still remains to be seen whether or not the proprietary a/v out on the 360 supports HDCP. I believe that MS said it would support HDMI "in the future" when the 360 launched, but nothing is official yet.
Old 05-15-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
But wouldn't the $499 PS3 possibly also have the same capability?
The difference being that M$ stated the 360 would likely have HDMI someday. Sony says buy the $599 PS3 if you want HDMI.
Old 05-16-06, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The difference being that M$ stated the 360 would likely have HDMI someday. Sony says buy the $599 PS3 if you want HDMI.
If I understood the question correctly, he is asking why the cheapo PS3 can't have HDMI through a proprietary cable (since it doesn't have HDMI out). I believe the answer is that it could if the proprietary output outputs digitally. That seems unlikely as it would be a redundancy to the higher end version PS3. But, I don't know that we have seen enough specs to know that yet.
Old 05-16-06, 07:32 AM

Exactly. That's actually the best way to put it for both PS3 and XBox 360. If their IO ports support HDCP then an HDMI adapted cable is theoretically possible.
Old 05-21-06, 09:26 AM
Banned

http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/05/09/han...rive-engadget/

According to this link the drive won't have HDMI. With the likely price drop that means that the Xbox 360 Premium version with HD-DVD capability is the same price as the Playstation 3 $500 version. Neither will support Wifi, neither support HDMI, both have only 20 gigabits of harddrive space. Yet I believe the Playstation 3 will be a higher value do to the higher graphics quality.
Old 05-21-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy 345
http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/05/09/han...rive-engadget/

According to this link the drive won't have HDMI. With the likely price drop that means that the Xbox 360 Premium version with HD-DVD capability is the same price as the Playstation 3 $500 version. Neither will support Wifi, neither support HDMI, both have only 20 gigabits of harddrive space. Yet I believe the Playstation 3 will be a higher value do to the higher graphics quality.
Jimmy,

Of course the drive itself won't have an HDMI output, it's only an optical drive. We have known since its announcement that it will use a USB 2.0 connection to send the data to the 360 for decoding. If there is an HDMI output, it will be from the 360 itself, using the proprietary A/V connection.

As many posters have alluded to in the past, value is subjective. It sounds like the PS3 is the machine for you - more power to you. The problem I have with the PS3's pricing is that it forces consumers to pay a significant premium for something they may or may not want (blu-ray). If the format war were settled and blu-ray was the standard, the PS3 would indeed represent an excellent value. However, as it stands now, Sony is asking people to pay a $200 premium for an optical drive that might not be worth a dinky-bird in two years.

I haven't seen anything from the PS3 that looks better than the 360. If developers can figure out the cell processor and start churning out games that really do look as good as Sony has promised, I might consider a PS3. Time will tell.
Old 05-21-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yet I believe the Playstation 3 will be a higher value do to the higher graphics quality.
Now if only a PS3 developer would demonstrate this so called higher graphics quality we would have something.
Old 05-21-06, 09:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by darkside
Now if only a PS3 developer would demonstrate this so called higher graphics quality we would have something.
All the Playstation 3 demos look superior to all the Xbox 360s launch titles. Therefore they already have.
Old 05-21-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All the Playstation 3 demos look superior to all the Xbox 360s launch titles. Therefore they already have.
I followed E3 rather closey (and very neridly) and I didn't see a single video of IN-GAME footage that looked better than the 360. If I missed something, I'd love to see it - link please?
Old 05-21-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not only havge I not seen anything to prove that, I haven't even read any non-biased media pieces declaring that to be true. Did you see a closed-door demo others did not?
Old 05-21-06, 11:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BobDole42
I followed E3 rather closey (and very neridly) and I didn't see a single video of IN-GAME footage that looked better than the 360. If I missed something, I'd love to see it - link please?
Name one Xbox 360 launch title that looked graphically equal to the playable demos for Resistance Fall of Man or Heavenly Sword.
Old 05-21-06, 11:29 AM
Banned

Name one Xbox 360 launch title that looked graphically equal to the playable demos for Resistance Fall of Man or Heavenly Sword.
How about actually answering the questions posed to you? It will go a lot further to proving your point than responding with another question.
Old 05-21-06, 11:36 AM
Banned

How about actually answering the questions posed to you? It will go a lot further to proving your point than responding with another question.
Oh come on. Like did you have behind the doors demo a real question. Of course I didn't. I saw the same thing everyone else did. The Playstation 3 demos I saw were similar to Gears of War or some of the better second generation Xbox 360 but superior to all the Xbox 360s launch titles. Nobody can seem to think of an Xbox 360 launch title that looked better then Resistance Fall of Man.
Old 05-21-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good lord, I just realized this is the 360 HD-DVD add-on thread - why the hell are we talking about the graphics on PS3 games??! I apologize for opening the can of worms when I responded to Jimmy's post and mentioned graphics - I wasn't paying attention to which thread this was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.