Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

XBOX360 HD-DVD add-on = $199

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

XBOX360 HD-DVD add-on = $199

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know if there gonna release games on hd-dvd? Wouldn't the space but most excellent for some real next gen graphics and long ass games? Whatever probably stuck with DL DVDs which are so lame;-)
Old 05-10-06, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Case01
Whatever probably stuck with DL DVDs which are so lame;-)
Was that english?
Old 05-10-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Stick with me, kid. I'll learn ya.

Hey...look. Right now the Toshiba is $487 on DDD. Next month they have the 20% off sale. That'd be a VERY sweet price to jump on if you can get in on it.
I thought the 20% sale only applied to in stock DVDs. Not games, not accessories, not preorders, certainly not brand new HD technology. Time will tell, of course.
Old 05-10-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Case01
Anyone know if there gonna release games on hd-dvd? Wouldn't the space but most excellent for some real next gen graphics and long ass games? Whatever probably stuck with DL DVDs which are so lame;-)
There is absolutely zero chance of games being released on HD-DVD, simply because such a small percentage of the installed user base will actually own the HD-DVD drive.
Old 05-10-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
lol, it's not useless. There's nothing missing from the $299 model that won't allow you to use the HD-DVD add-on.
Really? We don't even know how it works yet, so that's a fairly major assumption to be making. For all we know it's possible the HDD is integral to the function of the HD decryption system.
Old 05-10-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Really? We don't even know how it works yet, so that's a fairly major assumption to be making. For all we know it's possible the HDD is integral to the function of the HD decryption system.
Well, we know that you would at least need the high def connection that does not come with the regular console...unless MS is gonna include it with the drive.
Old 05-10-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Well, we know that you would at least need the high def connection that does not come with the regular console...unless MS is gonna include it with the drive.
That's just cabling, which is external. It's not like the output is missing.
Old 05-10-06, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
That's just cabling, which is external. It's not like the output is missing.
Well, I guess so, but its just that its something else that you HAVE to buy in order to get the component connection.

That said, probably alot of people who have the regular console bought the hd pack for the 360 if their tv has it.

So, does anyone know if MS is able to sell an HDMI output for the current hardware? Or will the current hardware never be able to support it (without some crappy analog to digital conversion first)?
Old 05-10-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,266 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
So, does anyone know if MS is able to sell an HDMI output for the current hardware?
Todd Holmdahl said:

We’re poised to hit the sweet spot of the HD market at launch and as the market matures, and we will provide an HDMI for our customers when it makes sense.
Whether or not he's correct, I have no idea. When the console was first released, the message board squabbling over schematics seemed to indicate that he's not.
Old 05-10-06, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiky
I thought the 20% sale only applied to in stock DVDs. Not games, not accessories, not preorders, certainly not brand new HD technology. Time will tell, of course.
I know last time that people were using it on other things like dvd stands and whatknot. Pre-orders were the only exception, so I was told.
Old 05-11-06, 03:54 PM

I for one would like to see them offer the add-on at a lower price without the HDMI cable and then have an HDMI add-on later when the studios feel the desire to turn on the copy protection that requires HDMI.
Old 05-11-06, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by prayformojo
I for one would like to see them offer the add-on at a lower price without the HDMI cable and then have an HDMI add-on later when the studios feel the desire to turn on the copy protection that requires HDMI.
Don't think there is such a thing as an "hdmi add-on." It's either there or it's not.
Old 05-11-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't think there is such a thing as an "hdmi add-on." It's either there or it's not.
sure there is. Any HDMI output would have to come from the 360's a/v output. People could use the component output until down-conversion became an issue and then purchase the HDMI cable later. This assumes, of course, that the 360's a/v out is capable of passing HDMI.
Old 05-11-06, 04:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BobDole42
sure there is. Any HDMI output would have to come from the 360's a/v output. People could use the component output until down-conversion became an issue and then purchase the HDMI cable later. This assumes, of course, that the 360's a/v out is capable of passing HDMI.
I'm so confused. You either have it or you don't. Whether you use it or not is irrelevent.
Old 05-11-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dude. You think $100 is the cost of an HDMI cable!??!?!
huh? MS probably wants ~$40 for the HDMI a/v out (which is in line with the pricing for the HD component a/v out). They could release the drive for $100 and sell the HDMI cable for $50.
Old 05-11-06, 04:15 PM
Banned

huh? MS probably wants ~$40 for the HDMI a/v out (which is in line with the pricing for the HD component a/v out). They could release the drive for $100 and sell the HDMI cable for $50.
I seriously doubt they're including the HDMI cable.

And where the hell are you shopping that an HDMI cable costs that much??
Old 05-11-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I seriously doubt they're including the HDMI cable.

And where the hell are you shopping that an HDMI cable costs that much??
I never said an HDMI cable should cost $50. I paid $28 for mine from monoprice.com.

But we won't be able to buy a cheap HDMI cable for the 360 add-on, we will have to buy one from MS. It's not just an HDMI cable, it's the whole proprietary a/v output, including the digital audio output and the analog outputs.
Old 05-11-06, 04:21 PM

Unless there is a way to hook up the HDMI directly to the 360 in a way that does not use some sort of analog port, then it can't happen (legally). The closing of the analog hole is the entire purpose behind the HDMI connector, and the idea that studios will be ablt to constrict high resolutions to said port while downrezzing over the analog ports.
Old 05-11-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm so confused. You either have it or you don't. Whether you use it or not is irrelevent.
You don't have an xbox 360, do you?

The add-on will connect to the 360 via USB 2.0. The 360 will do all of the video processing and output the signal through its (the 360's) a/s output. The 360 has one universal a/v output, that can be configured for a variety of different types of signals, depending on the pin-out configuration of the adapter. You can't just use any HDMI cable - you need MS's proprietary a/v output (or an even more expensive one from Monster or the like).
Old 05-11-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Unless there is a way to hook up the HDMI directly to the 360 in a way that does not use some sort of analog port, then it can't happen (legally). The closing of the analog hole is the entire purpose behind the HDMI connector, and the idea that studios will be ablt to constrict high resolutions to said port while downrezzing over the analog ports.
Exactly. Does anyone know if the 360's a/v out can pass a digital signal?
Old 05-11-06, 04:30 PM
Banned

You don't have an xbox 360, do you?

The add-on will connect to the 360 via USB 2.0. The 360 will do all of the video processing and output the signal through its (the 360's) a/s output. The 360 has one universal a/v output, that can be configured for a variety of different types of signals, depending on the pin-out configuration of the adapter. You can't just use any HDMI cable - you need MS's proprietary a/v output (or an even more expensive one from Monster or the like).
No sir. Sorry. I need pictures
Old 05-11-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No sir. Sorry. I need pictures
http://www.thg.ru/game/20051123/imag...teur_video.jpg

Old 05-11-06, 04:32 PM
Banned

Ahhh...so you're talking about having an HDMI adapter?
Old 05-11-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ahhh...so you're talking about having an HDMI adapter?

Exactly - which would be the only way to get HDMI from the 360. The 360 Premium system comes with the HD a/v adapter while the Core system does not. MS sells the HD component adapter for $40. They could sell the HD add-on for $100 or $150 and include no adapter. We could use the component adapter for now, and buy the HDMI one when we need and/or want it. There is NO way for MS to build HDMI into the add-on. The add-on is only an optical drive.
Old 05-11-06, 04:40 PM
Banned

Exactly - which would be the only way to get HDMI from the 360. The 360 Premium system comes with the HD a/v adapter while the Core system does not. MS sells the HD component adapter for $40. They could sell the HD add-on for $100 or $150 and include no adapter. We could use the component adapter for now, and buy the HDMI one when we need and/or want it. There is NO way for MS to build HDMI into the add-on. The add-on is only an optical drive.
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

see? Now if you said an adapter, it would've been completely clear!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.