Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD software pricing

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD software pricing

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Source? Price hasn't been announced. I don't even think Sony has decided yet what the retail will be.
Rumors are floating in the past few days of a $600-$700 price tag.
Those rumours are based on a misquoted, mistranslated, taken-out-of-context interview with the VP of SCEE, and with price figures incorrectly converted disregarding indirect taxes in Europe. Summary: worth shite.

Plus rumors abound that some places will only be selling PS3 as a bundle with other stuff, much like they did with 360. I have read $1000 bundle pricing. It really hinges on the pricepoint. Google "Sega Saturn" for more info.
Huh. You use rumors when they fit you, but disregard official information when you don't like it. Go figure.

As I said, at this point, I don't believe this particular rumor,
Then why run with it in the first place?

but a lot could happen between now and then.
That's a sword that cuts both ways.

Don't forget, if you believe everything Sony says, you'd be playing PS3 right now.
And if you believe everything Toshiba says, you'd be using HD DVD since october 2005.

Between now and November, anyone looking to upgrade to a HD format will have the choice between a $500 HD player and a $1000 BR player, both of which will deliver a near identical movie experience.
Of course, the question is how many people we're talking about.

If you think for a second that the majority of buyers are going to go for that higher priced player, you're nuts.
That was uncalled for. Imagine if I said: "If you think for a second that the majority of buyers are going to go for a player with substantially lower available content, you're nuts"... but I won't say that.

You criticize Blitz6Speed for disregarding player price as a factor, and then you tout player price as the only relevant factor. Really, that's fanboyism at its worth - playing up the advantages of your chosen product, and downplaying its disadvantages. Tsk tsk tsk.

When PS3 launches, most people in the market for a movie player won't care if it plays games.
Many of those people have things like families, which sometimes include children, who have in the recent years developed a penchant for playing video games.

No one looking for quality ever bought the PS2 for the DVD playback capabilities. I doubt that the PS3 will be as good as the stand alone models.
We'll see.

Additionally, I have doubts we'll see PS3 this year.
And I have doubts we'll see 200 HD DVD titles this year.

How you can say something that has yet to hit market and be independently criticized and compared against another product yet to hit the market is clearly superior?
Blu-ray is superior in capacity, interactivity and content support. Now what is HD DVD superior in?

How does HD fall short on price? Even if PS3 is $500, then at best they are equal, assuming there is now price drop on the players before November.
Because with the PS3 you get a free DVR and video games console. Oh, and 1080p output.

The way I see it, to the average consumer, in most respects HD and BR with be near identical performance wise. The two big factors will be price which HD has a huge advantage and selection which gives BR the edge. Which will the average consumer care more about?

My guess right now will be price.
That's right, your guess. Blitz and others think it'll be the movies. You could be right, or we could. But calling someone nuts just because his guess is different from yours is not very nice.

Studio support will follow if HD takes off.
And studio support won't follow if HD fails to take off. Your point? Unless player price suffices to provide enough traction for HD DVD in the next six months (which are pretty low on sales volume anyway), it will be steamrollered by PS3 in the holiday shopping season.

I've long said that on paper, BR is a more attractive product, mostly due to the larger capacity. Cost cannot be denied as a huge factor.
It cannot be denied as a factor. Whether it is huge or not, that's subjective (ie not objective).
Old 04-06-06, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sony is so clearly beaten on economics in both Blu-Ray and PS3, of course some will totally dismiss it as a factor. HD is totally outclassed when it comes to potential library. What will the masses care about most? Time will tell.

I think the person that said "what is better a cheap player with few discs or an expensive player with lots of discs?" said it best.
Old 04-06-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I think the person that said "what is better a cheap player with few discs or an expensive player with lots of discs?" said it best.
And, faced with that choice, I think the vast majority of the HDTV-owning public (that excludes us all) will decide neither. They'll wait for either the cheap player to get more discs, or the format with lots of discs to get a cheaper player.
Old 04-06-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Grubert
Those rumours are based on a misquoted, mistranslated, taken-out-of-context interview with the VP of SCEE, and with price figures incorrectly converted disregarding indirect taxes in Europe. Summary: worth shite.
But, you're the one who posted it. Here is the whole quote again:

Q. There is a question that gamers are asking, and it's the price of this console. We're seeing figures circulating on the web... 500 dollars according to rumour. Are we close to reality, or far off?

A. Listen, if we take the Blu-ray/HD side, we're looking at Blu-ray players for 1,000 euros and more. Therefore, [the PS3] will be extremely cheap from that point of view. When we look at the gaming side, today it is true that games consoles have a price clearly below 500 euros. I'd say that we'll be in that price range. It'll be expensive for the video games part, but it'll be extremely cheap if you look at the set of technologies it contains.
Now, 500 euros ~= $615. I understand there are different tax structures, but look at what else was said:

"it'll be expensive for the video games part"-- this means it will be more expensive than the XBox 360.

I think $600-$650 is a good quess between the Xbox (~$520) and the Sony BR player ($1000).

Another problem will be the supply. Right now, you can buy an XBox from Amazon.com for $671.22 (fully loaded). I assume the prices are high because it's still hard to find one. What will happen when the all the hard core PS3 gamers buy up all the PS3s? The actual street prices could inflate even more.

I don't know about others, but I'm not going to go through all the trouble to actually find a PS3 to buy when at best (although extremely unlikely) it will cost the same as an HD-DVD player. And the HD-DVD player won't be in short supply and therefore won't have an inflated price due to lack of supply.

I would guess that this Christmas, we're going to see PS3s selling for $800-$1000 on places like eBay due to short supply.
Old 04-06-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by awmurray
But, you're the one who posted it.
I posted the accurate translation (done by me), which is hugely different from the bastardized, distorted version that's been doing the rounds.

Now, 500 euros ~= $615. I understand there are different tax structures, but look at what else was said:

"it'll be expensive for the video games part"-- this means it will be more expensive than the XBox 360.

I think $600-$650 is a good quess between the Xbox (~$520) and the Sony BR player ($1000).
Enough with that nonsense. He's said a price range

(Console price)
Old 04-06-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=Grubert]
Enough with that nonsense. He's said a price range

(Console price)

Last edited by awmurray; 04-06-06 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-06-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

May I just point out something that seems to have escaped both sides of this argument? Euro price does not necessarily equal US dollar price. Even if the 500Eu price is final and correct, that does not mean it will come out at $600+ here to match through currency conversions. Could still be $500. (more likely $550, I'd guess) Europe often gets screwed on pricing like this, and it has nothing to do with tax structures. And Japan is usually higher still for game machines, just because they can.

It'll be funny to look back on this 2 years from now. You'll be able to pick up a BD player for $300-400, but the PS3 will still be at least $400. All this discussion is based on first month pricing of a brand new technology.
Old 04-06-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
May I just point out something that seems to have escaped both sides of this argument? Euro price does not necessarily equal US dollar price.
This is true. I'm just saying that Sony has said all along that the PS3 would be expensive (compared to other consoles).

It's going to be quite difficult to price the PS3 in line with the XBox 360 because of the BR drive ($200-$300 each) in the PS3. The XBox 360 has a DVD drive which costs < $20 each.

Sony's gamble is that BR takes off and the drives get cheaper.
Old 04-07-06, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Back to topic (which, by the way, is "Blu-ray vs HD-DVD software pricing"), a new studio has de facto announced pricing for HD DVD titles:

There are three Universal titles (Serenity, Doom and Apollo 13) up for preorder on amazon, with a list price of $34.98.
Old 04-07-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Grubert
There are three Universal titles (Serenity, Doom and Apollo 13) up for preorder on amazon, with a list price of $34.98.
How do you preorder them?

There are 30 HD-DVD titles listed including Serenity, Doom and Apollo 13, but it says they're not available for preorder yet.

BTW, here is the Blu-Ray list on Amazon
Old 04-07-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts
There are two entries for each of these titles. These are pre-order-able:

Serenity
Doom
Apollo 13
Old 04-07-06, 11:54 AM

There are 30 HD-DVD titles listed including Serenity, Doom and Apollo 13, but it says they're not available for preorder yet.

Blu-Ray has a way better line-up, imo. HD-DVD has nothing that I'd buy :/

Total Recal, awesome..
Old 04-07-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by T1000

Total Recal, awesome..
These are just launch titles. You can't base a decision around that. Give it a year and then we'll see where they each stand.

The titles available at DVD launch weren't too impressive either.
Old 04-07-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by T1000

Total Recal, awesome..
I'd rather spend $500 to watch HD-DVD's lineup than $1000 to watch BR's.
Old 04-07-06, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'd rather spend $500 to watch HD-DVD's lineup than $1000 to watch BR's.
Me too. Just saying I prefer BR's launch titles.
Old 04-07-06, 06:24 PM

But, you're the one who posted it. Here is the whole quote again:

I don't know about others, but I'm not going to go through all the trouble to actually find a PS3 to buy when at best (although extremely unlikely) it will cost the same as an HD-DVD player. And the HD-DVD player won't be in short supply and therefore won't have an inflated price due to lack of supply.

I would guess that this Christmas, we're going to see PS3s selling for $800-$1000 on places like eBay due to short supply.
I agree to a point.

But, to be fair we all have an advantage here. If you truly wanted a PS3 for whatever reason (most people are buying it for videogames afterall), there is no reason to track one down. Pre-Order ahead of time at a respectable place who will fullfill it.

Anyone at this site or such others who complains in 6 months that they didn't get one (you know it will happen). Well... It was no one's fault but their own. Especially after what happened last year. People should know better.

But, your point works for the mass public who doesn't visit sites like these or knows nothing about it.
Old 04-07-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by AllHallowsEve
If you truly wanted a PS3 for whatever reason (most people are buying it for videogames afterall), there is no reason to track one down. Pre-Order ahead of time at a respectable place who will fullfill it.
Pre-ordering 6 months in advance at respectable places didn't help many people get a XBOX 360 at launch. There are some who finally go their pre-orders filled just last month (4 months after launch). High demand and short supply can be a killer.

The PS3 will probably be even tougher to get on it's release day. You won't be able to easily find them on store shelves until March at the earliest.
Old 04-08-06, 07:03 AM

LOTR on HD-DVD??!!
is this bollocks???amazon states theres no studio producing the title
Old 04-08-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by Spyderz
LOTR on HD-DVD??!!
is this bollocks???
It hasn't been officially announced. Amazon has a lot of "placeholder" titles in general.
Old 04-08-06, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Coral
Pre-ordering 6 months in advance at respectable places didn't help many people get a XBOX 360 at launch. There are some who finally go their pre-orders filled just last month (4 months after launch). High demand and short supply can be a killer.

The PS3 will probably be even tougher to get on it's release day. You won't be able to easily find them on store shelves until March at the earliest.
I was lucky, but that did happen. Your right. Stay away from shops who didn't fullfill last time as it could happen again.

I am pre-ordering two from different spots just to better my odd's. If I happen to get two, I will just sell one to a family member as several want one anyways.

That's another problem you will face. People buying 10 and 20.
Old 04-08-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The format wars are over before they began IMO, since all PS3 games will be made in BR discs, movies for that format will also be made. Seems pretty simple to me?
Famous last words.