Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will DTS be standard on all HD-DVD/Blu-ray titles?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 04-08-06, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done a search of the HD forum but couldn't find an exact answer for this question. I know both HD DVD and Blu-Ray DVD's will have DTS options. I just want to know is DTS standard on all HD DVD and Blu-Ray DVD's or will it be available on selected titles??
Thanks.
Jezza
Old 04-08-06, 09:32 AM

As far as I know Sony Blu Ray titles will feature DD and DTS sound.
But we will have to wait untill Sony makes official statements about that.
Old 04-08-06, 09:56 AM

No... DTS will not be standard on all HD DVD or Blu Ray releases, as you stated in you own quote, the players must have the option, but it is not requred on the software.

fitprod
Old 04-08-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Some studios/directors have their preferences and I'm sure they wouldn't build into the format a "mandatory" format that a director or studio wouldn't want. Just as with DVD, the players will be required to decode the streams, but the discs won't be required to provide them.
Old 04-08-06, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If both DD and DTS are lossless, who cares which one is chosen? They would both be bit for bit identical to the master. The incessant argument over which is better is rendered moot when it comes to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.
Old 04-09-06, 04:53 AM

Excellent point. What will the DTS snobs do now???
Old 04-09-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrell
If both DD and DTS are lossless, who cares which one is chosen? They would both be bit for bit identical to the master. The incessant argument over which is better is rendered moot when it comes to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.
I'm no technical expert on this subject, and I could very well be wrong, correct me if I am, but I thought the reasoning behind so many people preferring DTS over DD (myself included) was NOT just about higher bitrates, but how it was mixed, mastered or whatever- in this case DTS, and actually sounding on disc. Side by side comparisons in movies like LOTR show big differences in sound that I don't think are exclusively a result of bitrates? Bit rates or not the proof is in the sound for me.

Last edited by woofman; 04-09-06 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-09-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At certain frequencies Dolby Digital actually combines channels to save space, DTS never does this. It does come down to the encoding and mixing, usually the DTS is mixed with a much richer LFE channel.