Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What will you do if your preferred HD format fails?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With how fanatic BR lovers are, I can clearly see them bursting into flames if their format doesn't succeed.

With that being said, I will put my hair on the line. If BR becomes the winning movie format over HD-DVD I will shave my head and post before and after pictures for proof.

Dual-format type winners would mean that I wouldn't do it. I will only do it if movies are stopped being put out in HD-DVD because BR is what everybody goes for.

Any other people want to back up their talk or are you going to chicken out and take a walk?
Old 03-26-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Switch to the other one? What choice would you have.
Why is anyone so loyal to a company that they would be fanatical about a format? The only reason I buy any of this stuff is to own the films. Its the content I want and honestly both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD seem to do a pretty equal job of presenting that content in HD from the information out there so far so I couldn't care less if one fails and one wins. I may wait for the dust to settle a bit before I take the plunge, but I have no favorite hardware company. Toshiba and Sony are equally crappy from my experience with their hardware.

Anyone that buys a Blu-Ray player because they love Sony and not the films available on Blu-Ray is an idiot and the same holds true for Toshiba and HD-DVD.

Shaving your head over a format war makes about as much sense as Sony fanboys by the way.
Old 03-26-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Commit suicide.
Old 03-26-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is how the Nazis started... fanboyism.
Old 03-26-06, 03:20 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, I guess compared to some people, I just don't give a damn. My "preferred" format may be BluRay (only because of greater studio support), but I could care less if HD-DVD wins. I just want 1080p (though my TV only does 720p natively).

While I said I "prefer" BluRay, as I have said elsewhere, if dual format players get off the ground, I think both formats will survive and prosper (think DVD-R and DVD+R).
Old 03-27-06, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Switch to the other one? What choice would you have.
Why is anyone so loyal to a company that they would be fanatical about a format? The only reason I buy any of this stuff is to own the films. Its the content I want and honestly both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD seem to do a pretty equal job of presenting that content in HD from the information out there so far so I couldn't care less if one fails and one wins. I may wait for the dust to settle a bit before I take the plunge, but I have no favorite hardware company. Toshiba and Sony are equally crappy from my experience with their hardware.

Anyone that buys a Blu-Ray player because they love Sony and not the films available on Blu-Ray is an idiot and the same holds true for Toshiba and HD-DVD.
Great post, Darkside. This sums up my views on this war in a very consise nutshell.
Old 03-27-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
This is how the Nazis started... fanboyism.
And Microsoft Windows.
Old 03-27-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
honestly, my preference is that they would release a dual format player so I could buy that and not have to deal with adding 2 more dvd players to my already overly crowded A/V rack(I can't get rid of my current dvd player as I'm not giving up my Oppo yet)
Old 03-27-06, 01:05 PM
Banned

Like most others, if my preferred format fails (Blu-Ray), I'll just switch. I'm going to own a PS3, so its not like I won't have a Blu-Ray player regardless of the outcome. If Blu-Ray fails for movies, it will still be used for games. So all the Blu-Ray movies I own will still have something to be played on. It just means that I'll have to purchase a HD-DVD player instead of a Blu-Ray player.
Old 03-27-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Really looking forward to a dual format player that solves this problem for me once and for all and the more I think about it the more I want to wait for that option to be affordable. I guarantee there are going to be situations on releases that get a Blu Ray and HD DVD release where one or the other will be better or have an exclusive the other is missing that I will really want.

You have to think that each company is going to push for stuff like this to try and sway consumers especially on major releases that are multi-format.

I just know there is no way I would be completely satisfied with just one format or the other.
Old 03-27-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't really see any of the formats having a clear technical superiority. I still can't believe they didn't unite into one format.

If I were to support one, it would be HD-DVD, not because I love Toshiba, Microsoft, or Warner Brothers, but simply because I dislike Sony.

That said, I don't think I'm going to be buying any standalone players. To date, I still don't even own a DVD player.
Old 03-27-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
That said, I don't think I'm going to be buying any standalone players. To date, I still don't even own a DVD player.
You get the hell off our forum, you dirty spy!
Old 03-27-06, 09:06 PM
Banned

Regardless of if I'm right or wrong, I am going to shave my head anyway like I always do when it gets too shaggy. I also won't be getting a player until tax time next year so I can see how stuff turns out. On the other hand, if the HD-DVD drive for the 360 has some sort of change for output, I could see myself spending the $200 for it.

I'm just getting tired of the HD Talk forum in general since most of the threads seem to turn into the same 'this format is better than that. let's discuss it while Jeeves brings us martinis'.

I'll be excited to read some of these threads once the merchandise is out there. Until then, I'm reverting to the stone age.
Old 03-27-06, 10:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
cry like a little girl.
Old 03-28-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chemosh6969
...I'm just getting tired of the HD Talk forum in general since most of the threads seem to turn into the same 'this format is better than that. let's discuss it while Jeeves brings us martinis'.

I'll be excited to read some of these threads once the merchandise is out there. Until then, I'm reverting to the stone age.
If you don't like this forum you certainly don't have to visit it. I, on the other hand, have learned a lot from the discussions here on everything from the compression codecs to the new sound options and how we will deal with them using our old surround receivers.

The give and take concerning which format will ultimately win out is just for fun. My guess is that both formats will survive and succeed, albeit much more slowly than DVD did. But if one fails, I will happily adopt the other. The problem is waiting for that to happen; it is hard to resist the temptation to jump in since I already have an HD display. But the early word is that the first gen players will have some issues. And that's useful information for me. Sorry you don't agree.
Old 03-28-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i will go to a star wars prop shop... buy the latest Darth Vader outfit.... have a sandwich.... go to the middle of the road and say... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 03-29-06, 09:12 PM

Blu-Ray will be supported as long as Sony has the PS3, and maybe with the PS4 too.
Old 03-30-06, 01:02 AM

I thought the name of the format was ...Blu-ray!

In any event, like just about everybody else here, I'm waiting for a reasonably-priced Universal player, so I don't really care which format "wins".
Old 03-30-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess Im in a small (ok very small) but I dont want a dual format player...I want a clear cut winner. If double and triple dips are bad now, when there are dual formats, that just increases exponentially. That being said, since this seems to be the logical road that this war will lead to, I dont really care which one wins. Im not a big Sony fan (just because they always seem to be in the middle of these format battles), but if BR wins then yay for them, and the same goes for HD-DVD. Time will tell.
Old 03-30-06, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A clear cut winner just doesn't seem to be the norm lately. SACD and DVD Audio had no clear cut winner (well both are clear cut losers to CD) and multiplayers ended up being the way to go and the same is true of DVD-R and DVD+R with multiburners winning out in the end.

I honestly see this one being close enough that multiplayers will be the norm in a few years.
Old 03-30-06, 11:39 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going just wait a year or so before each format gets stablized, then make a decision before buying anything
Old 03-30-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
SACD and DVD Audio had no clear cut winner (well both are clear cut losers to CD)
You mean MP3. CD is also beginning to lose to MP3.
Old 03-30-06, 02:49 PM

Maybe be a little disappointed for 10 or so minutes. Then move on in life.

I don't want to end up three generations later like my Uncle. Still rattling on about BETA.

Yes, it was better visually. But, it's 30 years later.
Old 03-30-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Keep watching what I already have
Old 03-30-06, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lizard
If you don't like this forum you certainly don't have to visit it. I, on the other hand, have learned a lot from the discussions here on everything from the compression codecs to the new sound options and how we will deal with them using our old surround receivers.
I knew someone would say this. Like I said, the 5% that isn't "the threads seem to turn into the same 'this format is better than that. let's discuss it while Jeeves brings us martinis'" is not the problem.

It's cool to learn things from the parts of threads that are informative before the my format is better than your's.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.