Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Site having problems?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Site having problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-22, 05:10 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 393 Likes on 259 Posts
Site having problems?

For the last 2 or 3 days when I come here I'm able to get to the website from a fresh page (Firefox), but as I'm navigating the site I end up with a Secure Connection Failed page (An error occurred during a connection to forum.dvdtalk.com. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR) and can go no further. If I close the page altogether and bring it back up from scratch, I can bring up the site (after waiting a few seconds), but within 2 or 3 clicks away from the initial page, I'll get the same Secure Connection Failed page and can go no further. It only happens here (no issues anywhere else) and it's really annoying.
Old 06-23-22, 05:20 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Site having problems?

I've even gone as far as deleting all DVDTalk cookies and logging in from scratch (thinking it may be a corrupted cookie). No change in behaviour.

I've tried cleaning junk files altogether (CCleaner). No change in behaviour.
Old 06-23-22, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,325 Posts

Doing some quick reading, it sounds like an issue with your instance of Firefox rather than DVD Talk's.

It might be worth trying out some of the steps suggested here. I read on another site that disabling "DNS over HTTPS" got everything working for other folks with this issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
IBJoel (06-24-22), Sdallnct (07-07-22)
Old 06-23-22, 08:31 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

I looked at that link. It appears as though that article assumes you're having trouble across your website browsing, and suggests making changes that will affect your entire browsing experience. My problem only happens here at DVD Talk. It doesn't happen anywhere else. I really don't want to make changes to my settings that will affect everywhere I go, since this is the only place it's happening.

Any other ideas that don't require I make changes that will affect everywhere I browse when it only happens here?
Old 06-24-22, 05:17 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Last night after the last error I got, I followed through a link in the error message "More (somethingorother, I don't remember now)", which landed me at a page which listed this as an option:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...nection-failed

...which then provided a link to security products as a possibility:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...virus-products

...which then provided instructions to try unchecking Encrypted Web Scan, which I did. So far it seems to have solved the issue.

It just seems weird that it was only happening here. It does go on to say:

The error occurs on one particular site only

In case you get this problem on one particular site only, this type of error generally indicates that the web server is not configured properly.

But since there is nothing I can do about that but let you know the problem exists, my only alternative is to make a change in my AV settings that affects all websites when this is the only site with the issue.
Old 06-24-22, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Respectfully, though, you seem to be the only person experiencing this issue, which would not be indicative of the problem being on DVD Talk's side.
Old 06-25-22, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

Are you unwilling to try a different browser? You seem married to "it's this site doing something to ME"
Old 06-25-22, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

What you’re describing isn’t happening to me on Firefox, and no other user has reported it.

I’m sorry you’re having to deal with this annoyance, but as far as I can tell, it’s not a problem on DVD Talk’s side.
Old 06-25-22, 07:30 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

While it seems odd that something like this should happen in the first place, I have apparently located a potential culprit and it seems I have eliminated the issue here. In Bitdefender, there is a setting entitled Encrypted Web Scan that "Checks the safety of encrypted web pages." It goes on to say "Encrypted web pages can use certificates issued by untrusted certificate authorities or even stolen certificates from legitimate sources."

I'm not saying Internet Brands is doing any of that, I'm only saying that toggling that setting off resolved my issue. DVDTalk works normally now. I tried toggling that setting back on and the issue started up all over again, so I turned it back off. I wish I would not have had to eliminate that feature across all website domains but if DVDTalk works now, then so be it.

Last edited by kd5; 06-26-22 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-26-22, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
What the hell does that have to do with anything? Firefox is one of the major browsers in existence. I don't like Chrome and I won't use Edge. So why do I have to be the villain for using Firefox?

Jeez buddy. Find someone else to snipe.
Settle down. Just spitballing.

If you didn't want suggestions shouldn't have asked for help in the first place.
Old 06-26-22, 07:55 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Forgive me for having an issue and hoping for help with it. I'll know better next time. I appreciate your attempt to help, Adam. It seems I've resolved my own issue (after a fashion).

If a plea for help attracts anything but assistance, then I respectfully bow out of this discussion. I deleted my posts addressing snark, they were unbecoming of me. I apologize for my thin skin.

I'll find my own answers from now on.
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (07-15-22)
Old 06-26-22, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I’m happy to help in any way I can, and you’re always welcome to PM me directly if you’d prefer that to posting in the Feedback forum.
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (07-15-22)
Old 06-28-22, 04:32 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Just so you know, Bitdefender just had an update (required rebooting), out of curiosity I re-enabled that Encrypted Web Scan option, so far I haven't had any issues here. Apparently I wasn't the only one having problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by kd5:
Adam Tyner (06-28-22), IBJoel (06-28-22)
Old 07-11-22, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 409 Posts

I’m having trouble loading some threads. Especially the Mass Shooting thread.

About 90% of the time it won’t load th thread. I don’t get an error, just if I scroll down it’s blank. It looks like it’s trying to load, but never does.

Mostly I use my iPad (latest software loaded). But same issue on my iPhone,

Ive tried different browsers, doesn’t seem to help.

Any ideas?
Old 07-11-22, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I’m having trouble loading some threads. Especially the Mass Shooting thread.

About 90% of the time it won’t load th thread. I don’t get an error, just if I scroll down it’s blank. It looks like it’s trying to load, but never does.

Mostly I use my iPad (latest software loaded). But same issue on my iPhone,

Ive tried different browsers, doesn’t seem to help.

Any ideas?
That was happening to me over the weekend too using my phone. I assumed it was my internet just being slow. No issues on my work PC today.
Old 07-11-22, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 409 Posts

I have a fast internet connection. And most threads load fine. I’m wondering if maybe iOS is more sensitive to bigger threads?
Old 07-13-22, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I have a fast internet connection. And most threads load fine. I’m wondering if maybe iOS is more sensitive to bigger threads?
I was having the same issue with the Abe Assassination thread in the politics forum last week and it only had about 30 posts. I assumed there was an issue specifically with that thread because I hadn’t had that issue with any other threads.

I just checked the thread again and it seems to be loading just fine now.
Old 07-14-22, 08:17 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kd5
Just so you know, Bitdefender just had an update (required rebooting), out of curiosity I re-enabled that Encrypted Web Scan option, so far I haven't had any issues here. Apparently I wasn't the only one having problems.
I didn't want to say anything because I got ridiculed for it the last time, but a couple of days after I made that last post, it started all over again. This is the message I get, it doesn't happen anywhere else I go on the internet:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to forum.dvdtalk.com. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Learn more…
I disable Encrypted Web Scan in Bitdefender and the site loads fine, but that means I have to disable it everywhere unless I want to keep toggling that option on/off every time I come here.

I have no idea what's going on except that the problem only happens here.
Old 07-14-22, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Received 759 Likes on 501 Posts

This claims it's a client side problem in the user's firefox browser.

https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/..._of_file_error

YMMV
Old 07-15-22, 07:42 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

^ Well, this is weird. I unchecked DNS over HTTPS (one of the suggestions), re-enabled Encrypted Web Scan in Bitdefender, closed/re-opened the browser, and DVDTalk opens just fine. As an experiment, I rechecked DNS over HTTPS, left Encrypted Web Scan enabled, closed and reopened FF, and DVDTalk still opens just fine. I don't get it.
Old 07-16-22, 04:32 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

^ Right after I said that I got the same dreaded End of File error. Unchecked DNS over HTTPS (in Firefox) again, left Encrypted Web Scan (in Bitdefender) enabled, and I'm not having the problem. It seems Bitdefender wasn't the issue, it was the DNS over HTTPS setting in Firefox. At least for now anyway. I've been surfing DVDTalk with no issues. I hope that solves the problem.