Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

NRA ad showing up

Old 08-09-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 62 Likes on 23 Posts
NRA ad showing up

Iím assuming this is a Google ad and that the site doesnít intend to make money running ads for a domestic terror organization. Just pointing it out so it can be corrected.

Old 08-09-19, 11:36 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: NRA ad showing up

Seems related to this: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feed...ents-site.html
Old 08-09-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry, it looks like the mobile image upload function isnít working. Hereís a link to a screengrab.

https://imgshare.io/image/7xao8
Old 08-09-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I had forgotten all about the fact we could upload images directly. I've been still using postimage.
Old 08-09-19, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Sorry, it looks like the mobile image upload function isnít working. Hereís a link to a screengrab.

https://imgshare.io/image/7xao8
Here's a quick explainer on google AdSense. Any and all ads you find objectionable can be reported by clicking on the blue X in the upper left. But basically, if someone in that thread mentioned the NRA, gun rights, or other keywords targeted by Google for that ad placement, you have a higher likelihood of encountering it.
https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/6242051?hl=en
Old 08-09-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the response Joel. My concern isnít seeing the ads, but rather supporting a company thatís willing to help the NRA spread their message in exchange for ad dollars. I would think theyíve become controversial enough that any non-far-right-wing organizations using AdSense would want to block their content. I guess not in this case?
Old 08-12-19, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the response Joel. My concern isnít seeing the ads, but rather supporting a company thatís willing to help the NRA spread their message in exchange for ad dollars. I would think theyíve become controversial enough that any non-far-right-wing organizations using AdSense would want to block their content. I guess not in this case?
That's a little bit of a loaded question (no pun intended). While almost no company is going to block something pre-emptively, the more people that report the ad, the faster it will go away.
Old 08-13-19, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Hey Max, I spoke to our ad team. To make sure this get blocked, we'll need the following: First, open the ad's link/URL in a new tab. Copy that. Then click on the AdChoices button (the blue triangle) and that should tell you which ad network is making the ad. If the triangle links you to a new page, scroll to the bottom and it should tell you (probably Google). Our ad team blocked "NRA", but if it was a related, but non-NRA site, that might not work.
Old 08-15-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks Joel. I appreciate the follow up and am sure Iím far from the only one here glad to know the site isnít willing to serve as a platform for that organization to spread its propaganda. Iíll make an effort to click on any ad thatís of interest to me going forward to help support your AdSense program.
Old 09-16-19, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

The NRA ad is back

Old 09-17-19, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
The NRA ad is back

That one's Google (or another ad-filler). The blue X in the upper right will let you ban it.

If you'd like us to look into it, open the ad's link/URL in a new tab. Copy that. Then click on the AdChoices button (the blue triangle) and that should tell you which ad network is making the ad. If the triangle links you to a new page, scroll to the bottom and it should tell you (probably Google).

Our ad team blocked "NRA" before, but looks like this one is "fight for 2a", so it wouldn't have been effected.
Old 09-24-19, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I visited the site on my phone last night which doesn't have my account logged in.

Literally every page of the site had NRA or Trump positive adds. What's up with that? If those groups are getting any kickback or benefit from our usage, I feel we have a right to know.
Old 09-24-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm glad I stay logged in. I don't see anything like that. Maybe members get different ads.
Old 09-24-19, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I'm glad I stay logged in. I don't see anything like that. Maybe members get different ads.
Maybe? I never visit from other devices and run addblocker.

But I can promise you those adds aren't due to my browsing history on my phone. If that were the case, I'd get nothing but video game and sports adds. I don't even look at political news on my phone.
Old 09-24-19, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I visited the site on my phone last night which doesn't have my account logged in.

Literally every page of the site had NRA or Trump positive adds. What's up with that? If those groups are getting any kickback or benefit from our usage, I feel we have a right to know.
Different users definitely get different ads. I just checked on my mobile and I got ads for the show "Gold Rush" (which I've never seen) and Best Buy (which I haven't been to in years). Without you posting screenshots, I can only give you limited information. There isn't just one catch-all ad. There are multiple ad services, some by Google, some directly from our sales team, and some third-party, that all have different targeting mechanisms and algorithms to decide what ads to show whom. So again, any ad you take issue with should have a blue X in the upper right. Click that and you'll be able to express your displeasure and get more info about who is hosting it.
Old 09-24-19, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Different users definitely get different ads. I just checked on my mobile and I got ads for the show "Gold Rush" (which I've never seen) and Best Buy (which I haven't been to in years). Without you posting screenshots, I can only give you limited information. There isn't just one catch-all ad. There are multiple ad services, some by Google, some directly from our sales team, and some third-party, that all have different targeting mechanisms and algorithms to decide what ads to show whom. So again, any ad you take issue with should have a blue X in the upper right. Click that and you'll be able to express your displeasure and get more info about who is hosting it.
Difference being both Gold Rush and Best Buy are related to the topic of this message board.

So the answer is basically it's a strange coincidence that SO many of us get NRA and Pro Trump ads when on this site? Nothing systematic about it at all?

No fucking way I'm clicking on anything within those ads, for fear that I'll just see more. I will simply decide to no longer visit the site if I feel my clicks are going to the benefit of those organizations.
Old 09-24-19, 03:21 PM

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

No fucking way I'm clicking on anything within those ads, for fear that I'll just see more. I will simply decide to no longer visit the site if I feel my clicks are going to the benefit of those organizations.
They're not getting any benefit. Those organizations pay money each time their ad appears. Since you're not interested, they're basically wasting their money every time you see the ad.

The only way they're going to benefit is if you click on the ad, go to their site, and sign up for an NRA membership.
Old 09-24-19, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Boy, sometimes the "triggered" jokes write themselves.

I haven't had any issues (content, redirection, or otherwise) with any displayed ads for weeks now, so kudos to IBJoel and anyone else involved for that.
Old 09-25-19, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Difference being both Gold Rush and Best Buy are related to the topic of this message board.

So the answer is basically it's a strange coincidence that SO many of us get NRA and Pro Trump ads when on this site? Nothing systematic about it at all?

If you're in the politics forum a lot, that's probably why you see them. If you don't click the blue X and say it doesn't appeal to you, you'll likely keep seeing them (especially next year). But Dave is right, ads are paid-for and if you don't send them money, they don't get any money.
Old 09-25-19, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

That one's Google (or another ad-filler). The blue X in the upper right will let you ban it.

If you'd like us to look into it, open the ad's link/URL in a new tab. Copy that. Then click on the AdChoices button (the blue triangle) and that should tell you which ad network is making the ad. If the triangle links you to a new page, scroll to the bottom and it should tell you (probably Google).

Our ad team blocked "NRA" before, but looks like this one is "fight for 2a", so it wouldn't have been effected.
These are NRA ads, plain and simple. I clicked on this one and it took me to a stupid, but official NRA survey site

[img]blob:https://forum.dvdtalk.com/214612ac-6593-427d-a37b-ae5e63ab7460[/img]
Old 09-25-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're in the politics forum a lot, that's probably why you see them. If you don't click the blue X and say it doesn't appeal to you, you'll likely keep seeing them (especially next year). But Dave is right, ads are paid-for and if you don't send them money, they don't get any money.
As I mentioned, I only saw the ads because I visited via my phone which didn't have me logged in. It had no history of browsing or viewing this site and is a completely different browser than what I use at work daily. There is zero connection to "How great is Trump" polls and "Beto wants to steal your guns!" lies.
Old 09-25-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 136 Likes on 98 Posts

Googleís ad system tracks you even if youíre not logged in. It knows keywords related to what youíre looking at here. It knows keywords related to what youíve looked at elsewhere. Itís able to correlate data even if youíre using a different web browser or device altogether. If someone uses Googleís ad system to target people of a certain age in a certain location of a certain demographic, it could target you, even if itís a false positive. It might key off an interest in politics, not getting as specific as perhaps it should.

Itís a drag for publishers, but thatís just the way a massive chunk of the digital ad market is these days.
Old 09-25-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Google’s ad system tracks you even if you’re not logged in. It knows keywords related to what you’re looking at here. It knows keywords related to what you’ve looked at elsewhere. It’s able to correlate data even if you’re using a different web browser or device altogether. If someone uses Google’s ad system to target people of a certain age in a certain location of a certain demographic, it could target you, even if it’s a false positive. It might key off an interest in politics, not getting as specific as perhaps it should.

It’s a drag for publishers, but that’s just the way a massive chunk of the digital ad market is these days.
Ok, then I'll ask again; is it purely a strange coincidence that all of a sudden so many members here are seeing ads for political organizations that we have no ties to whatsoever?

If yes, why haven't we been seeing them all along? Also if yes, why are they ALL NRA/Pro Trump? Where are the "Trump is fucking up our country" ads? They certainly exist. Is that another coincidence which can't be explained?

Last edited by Noonan; 09-25-19 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-25-19, 01:33 PM

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

It's not like there's a conspiracy or anything fishy.

The NRA ad spots are targeted towards a certain demographic and price range. For some reason, this site fits those parameters. Those same spots could be filled by liberal ads. But they're probably targeting different demographics/prices.
Old 09-26-19, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I usually don't look at the ads but, looking now, I see a local chain that does brake repairs, another for unions and another for a company that helps "eliminate toolchain complexity" which I have no clue even what that is.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.