Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

NRA ad showing up

Old 08-09-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NRA ad showing up

Iím assuming this is a Google ad and that the site doesnít intend to make money running ads for a domestic terror organization. Just pointing it out so it can be corrected.

Old 08-09-19, 11:36 AM

Re: NRA ad showing up

Seems related to this: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feed...ents-site.html
Old 08-09-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry, it looks like the mobile image upload function isnít working. Hereís a link to a screengrab.

https://imgshare.io/image/7xao8
Old 08-09-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had forgotten all about the fact we could upload images directly. I've been still using postimage.
Old 08-09-19, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Sorry, it looks like the mobile image upload function isnít working. Hereís a link to a screengrab.

https://imgshare.io/image/7xao8
Here's a quick explainer on google AdSense. Any and all ads you find objectionable can be reported by clicking on the blue X in the upper left. But basically, if someone in that thread mentioned the NRA, gun rights, or other keywords targeted by Google for that ad placement, you have a higher likelihood of encountering it.
https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/6242051?hl=en
Old 08-09-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the response Joel. My concern isnít seeing the ads, but rather supporting a company thatís willing to help the NRA spread their message in exchange for ad dollars. I would think theyíve become controversial enough that any non-far-right-wing organizations using AdSense would want to block their content. I guess not in this case?
Old 08-12-19, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the response Joel. My concern isnít seeing the ads, but rather supporting a company thatís willing to help the NRA spread their message in exchange for ad dollars. I would think theyíve become controversial enough that any non-far-right-wing organizations using AdSense would want to block their content. I guess not in this case?
That's a little bit of a loaded question (no pun intended). While almost no company is going to block something pre-emptively, the more people that report the ad, the faster it will go away.
Old 08-13-19, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Hey Max, I spoke to our ad team. To make sure this get blocked, we'll need the following: First, open the ad's link/URL in a new tab. Copy that. Then click on the AdChoices button (the blue triangle) and that should tell you which ad network is making the ad. If the triangle links you to a new page, scroll to the bottom and it should tell you (probably Google). Our ad team blocked "NRA", but if it was a related, but non-NRA site, that might not work.
Old 08-15-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks Joel. I appreciate the follow up and am sure Iím far from the only one here glad to know the site isnít willing to serve as a platform for that organization to spread its propaganda. Iíll make an effort to click on any ad thatís of interest to me going forward to help support your AdSense program.