Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Can I post stuff from my personal blog?

Old 06-03-18, 09:39 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Can I post stuff from my personal blog?

Just hoping to gain an understanding of a rule that may be misinterpreted.

ABSOLUTELY NO:
• Spam or promotion of your personal site for advertising purposes.

I imagine this rule was written back in the early days of DVDTalk, when "advertising purposes" was fairly unambiguous. Today, in the current year of twenty-eighteen, online advertising is about impressions more than clicks; views of the content itself more than visits to the actual webpage.

So I have a blog that I post to regularly; maybe 2-3 times a week. The content is fairly political in nature a good portion of the time, and I feel like what I post there could foster discussion here on DVDTalk. I know that I CANNOT post direct links to my blog. That's the unambiguous part of the rule above.
But what's less clear is whether or not I can just post the complete identical text of each blog post, without linking to my personal blog, of course. How would that fall under the spam/self-promotion rule?

Would it be preferable if I indicate "This is from my blog" on each of those posts, or is that type of disclosure completely unnecessary, since the rules do not call for it?

And before anyone says, "Dan. Nobody here wants to see your blog posts, posted in full, on this forum," don't worry. I get that. I just want to know if it is or is not against the rules in case I decide to do it anyway.

edit: welp. I just noticed the existing "Advertising FAQ" thread. You guys can move this post there. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by Dan; 06-03-18 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-03-18, 11:15 PM
Admin-Thanos

Re: Can I post stuff from my personal blog?

I'm pretty sure grundle flings walls of text up from his blog. I could be wrong. What you can't do is post links to your blog in thread or in your sig. That is interpreted as trying to drive clicks to your blog for advertising purposes.
Old 06-05-18, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I'm pretty sure grundle flings walls of text up from his blog. I could be wrong. What you can't do is post links to your blog in thread or in your sig. That is interpreted as trying to drive clicks to your blog for advertising purposes.
You are correct about Grundle's blog. I'd c/p stuff from my blog to this forum if it wasn't so 2002 ... shuh ...
Old 06-10-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I’ve been curious about this too, I’ve posted links to my blog once or twice in the MST3K thread, but since that thread has like 5 posters, it’s unlikely anyone noticed.