Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Bumping Threads

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Bumping Threads

I have wondered whether members who have long since left the site, but have enabled e-mail notifications, are surprised when they suddenly receive a thread activity notice.
Old 05-07-14, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I find merges confusing because there's often a disjointed flow to the conversation.
Old 05-07-14, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
I kind of like reading the old threads he would bump but obviously I'm in the minority in that it never really bothered me.
It's interesting to spot names you haven't seen in years.

I also get surprised to see members who are still suspended... years after the suspension started. I thought that suspensions were temporary. Unless there are permanent suspensions why not just ban the person?
Old 05-07-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I also get surprised to see members who are still suspended... years after the suspension started. I thought that suspensions were temporary. Unless there are permanent suspensions why not just ban the person?
I always assumed that the suspended person never returned. That perhaps if they logged in, their privileges would automatically be restored. I have nothing to base this assumption on. Perhaps someone else with experience can shed some light on this.
Old 05-07-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by auto
I kind of like reading the old threads he would bump but obviously I'm in the minority in that it never really bothered me.

Old 05-07-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My biggest peeve about bumped threads is I don't always normally assume it's a bumped thread. Sometimes, I find myself quoting and responding to someone and realizing that they haven't posted here in years.

I don't think that the forum software could do this, but I'd love it if it was possible for bumped threads to change the color of older posts if there's a significant amount of lapsed time between the old posts and the bump.
Old 05-07-14, 11:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
My biggest peeve about bumped threads is I don't always normally assume it's a bumped thread. Sometimes, I find myself quoting and responding to someone and realizing that they haven't posted here in years.
But why does that even matter? I don't look at this post, for example, as being specific to you and I; every post in every thread 'belongs' to the community-at-large, the individuals don't really matter.

Even if the person you're quoting never sees your post, your post is just as relevant to the thread as any other post.
Old 05-07-14, 02:17 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

I think it was probably a case of poster was suspended for a month let's say. Both the poster and the mods forgot about it and the poster's status never changed because they never tried to come back.
Old 05-07-14, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
I think it was probably a case of poster was suspended for a month let's say. Both the poster and the mods forgot about it and the poster's status never changed because they never tried to come back.
Ah okay. I just assumed at the end of the given suspension time, it would automatically come off.
Old 05-07-14, 03:46 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Ah okay. I just assumed at the end of the given suspension time, it would automatically come off.
There's no timer per se. You have to remember to unsuspend.
Old 05-07-14, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
But why does that even matter? I don't look at this post, for example, as being specific to you and I; every post in every thread 'belongs' to the community-at-large, the individuals don't really matter.

Even if the person you're quoting never sees your post, your post is just as relevant to the thread as any other post.
It's a valid point. Sometimes I start to respond then stop when I realize the thread is five years old. That doesn't mean my point is invalid, but... it just feels funny, I guess.
Old 05-08-14, 03:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

If anyone's got some bread or bread-like puns, I know a thread that's just RYE-ing to get bumped again...
Old 05-09-14, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Every once in a while I think about bumping that "Do you ever feel like a thread killer..." thread but then decide it's best to keep that thread dead.
Old 05-18-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by midoelrayek
thanks
Irony