Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.
View Poll Results: How long should the term be for a DVDTalk moderator/admin?
3 months
2.13%
6 months
2.13%
1 year
48.94%
Indefinate / For Life -- like a Supreme Court Justice. Or Hitler.
40.43%
Other (please explain below)
6.38%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Mod and Admin term limits?

Old 06-19-13, 09:08 AM

Mod and Admin term limits?

Shortly become coming a mod, I posted a huge manifesto written in a secluded cabin and dictated to my secretary over ham radio to be posted here. One of the things I implied was that in order for mods and admins to be part of the community, rather than above it, is that they should be rotated in and out on a semi-regular basis.

While I don't think it's realistic to apply this globally just yet (nor is it my call), I can voluntarily step down from my moderator position after a set period of time. It would be hypocritical if I did not. But the question is...how long should that be?

So I'm going to open up this poll for 48 hours, gauge the will of the people, and set a term limit for myself.

What do YOU think?
Old 06-19-13, 09:26 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Mod and Admin term limits?

I voted 1 year, but 6 months would be my second choice. That time period allows for mods to get a good (or bad... or lack of any...) reputation with the posters in their forums.
3 months is far too short.
Indefinite is... umm... let's not talk about that.
Old 06-19-13, 09:28 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Indefinite, but users can petition to force you to leave.
Old 06-19-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Indefinite. But a mod or an administrator should be ready to step down if it's not working anymore.
Old 06-19-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kuroiinu View Post
This.

Also, a mod or admin should be removed from their duties if there is a prolonged absence.
Old 06-19-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think 2 years is more realistic.
Old 06-19-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Indefinite. But a mod or an administrator should be ready to step down if it's not working anymore.
Old 06-19-13, 11:34 AM
Banned by request

I say indefinite, because if we stick around long enough, I hear JC Penney gives us a free tea kettle!
Old 06-19-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with this. It's a thankless job and so putting a year or two term limits on it means you'll be getting rid of your most committed members and making it harder over time to recruit quality mods.

"Lifetime" appointment combined with a clearly defined recall option (with a high bar to clear: some percentage of participation combined with some high percentage of the vote) seems like the way to go.

If designed correctly, this would ensure quality and consistency in moderation.
Old 06-19-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Indefinite as long as you stay active.

How about the mods switch forums they are responsible for every 6-12 months?
Old 06-19-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends on the mod
Old 06-19-13, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
I agree with this. Mods that disappear and come back rarely and then hand out warnings is really, really lame.
Old 06-19-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I vote 1 year. As an active member for over 13 years, I would have gladly spent a year of that time as a mod. But I wouldn't necessarily want to keep doing it forever.
Old 06-19-13, 02:06 PM
Admin-Thanos

It depends. Someone who's active and enjoys doing it (and generally has the support of both the ownership and the community) should go as long as they feel they are able. The thing I worry about personally is burn out. You have to be the bad guy a lot and I don't really enjoy doing that. You also have to keep a lot of things close to the vest for various reasons. Both of those things can be stressful.
Old 06-19-13, 02:09 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I agree with this. Mods that disappear and come back rarely and then hand out warnings is really, really lame.
I've seen requests go the other way too though. One of our posters suggested that mods recuse themselves in thread from making any calls on posts within the thread. One thing I am certain of is that you're never going to make everybody happy. All the mods do get the RTP emails. I trust they know the community enough to read the thread in question and make a decent moderator call on what to do with the post/posts in question.
Old 06-19-13, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
It depends. Someone who's active and enjoys doing it (and generally has the support of both the ownership and the community) should go as long as they feel they are able. The thing I worry about personally is burn out. You have to be the bad guy a lot and I don't really enjoy doing that. You also have to keep a lot of things close to the vest for various reasons. Both of those things can be stressful.
And mods that don't come around any more should bow out and be replaced. I brought this up years ago and was given the Donald Sutherland point and stare.

I've seen requests go the other way too though. One of our posters suggested that mods recuse themselves in thread from making any calls on posts within the thread. One thing I am certain of is that you're never going to make everybody happy. All the mods do get the RTP emails. I trust they know the community enough to read the thread in question and make a decent moderator call on what to do with the post/posts in question.
What I was getting at was a particular mod who hasn't posted in the Politics forum in over a year suddenly appears and hands down a warning and then PMs me telling me he may have jumped the gun.

On a related note, as I was telling another mod, it seems that some warnings and suspensions are handed out while not fully bothering to digest the full context of the thread. So if you are never around, that's difficult to do.
Old 06-19-13, 03:39 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
And mods that don't come around any more should bow out and be replaced. I brought this up years ago and was given the Donald Sutherland point and stare.
Generally you become a mod if the Administrative team thinks you can be fair and that is judged by how you conduct yourself in the forums you post in. Once you are a mod, the main goal I'm interested in is do you moderate well. I get what you're saying that mods should be active, but it's also a relatively thankless, volunteer job. (Over the years there have been times we've asked a poster to become a mod and they've turned us down due to time constraints, or the just didn't want to take on the burden) Ideally a moderator should be posting a lot in the forums they moderate (they should have an interest in the forums they moderate). If they're being fair in their moderation and responding to RTP requests I wouldn't necessarily say they have to be kicked out as mods because they don't post regularly. You can't always have everything you want.

What I was getting at was a particular mod who hasn't posted in the Politics forum in over a year suddenly appears and hands down a warning and then PMs me telling me he may have jumped the gun.
You can email me or PM me if you feel like a specific mod is not giving you a fair shake.

On a related note, as I was telling another mod, it seems that some warnings and suspensions are handed out while not fully bothering to digest the full context of the thread. So if you are never around, that's difficult to do.
You should be able to read the thread at the very least if you get a RTP email. In a perfect world, yes they should be posting often. I'd expect them to at least read the thread in question if they get a RTP message. If they're not responding to RTP's, then there is an issue that needs to be addressed.
Old 06-19-13, 03:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
This.

Also, a mod or admin should be removed from their duties if there is a prolonged absence.
Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post

How about the mods switch forums they are responsible for every 6-12 months?
Lots of food for thought here
Old 06-19-13, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I voted indefinite, but mainly because I doubt that most Mods want the job for life. This would allow the best ones to stay on though.
Old 06-19-13, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A better ordeal would be to step down moderators that are inactive for awhile say 3-6 months.
Old 06-19-13, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A year, but i'm ok with them re-upping for a second year after that, but then, they are outta there. I like the idea of them changing regularly, and also some people might be much more willing to sign on for a limited term.
Old 06-19-13, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Until the day ya die.
I don't even see a reason to set limits. A yearly review would be good to see if someone's tired of doing it or just not holding their own.
Old 06-19-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I voted indefinite but would be fine with a rotation as long as there is a big enough pool for proper coverage.
Old 06-19-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Back in the day, if you hadn't logged in and posted in a month or two, Geoff would remove you as a mod. Today, there are mods listed in the list of forum leaders who haven't posted in years. Literally, years. You can't effectively moderate the community if you're not part of the community.

I'm not even a fan of the moderators whose posts are now ONLY about moderation. i.e. they were once an active part of the community, but now they visit the board only out of obligation to fulfill their moderator duties. If you're not invested in the community, how can you be expected to act in the interest of the community?

I see 5 moderators who should be removed immediately, based solely on lack of activity (most > 1 year). Another 1 or 2 who are questionable. Thank you for your years of service. In order to maintain a high service level, we need moderators who are active in the community.
Old 06-19-13, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed. There doesn't need to be a definite term limit, but I think there should be a mechanism in place to remove moderators when they become troublesome or disruptive.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.