Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Is the forum getting ruder and nastier?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Is the forum getting ruder and nastier?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-09, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Is the forum getting ruder and nastier?

Most small jabs are attacks to me. Making an underhanded comment is just as bad as a direct insult... even though i'm guilty of the same sometimes.

Last edited by fumanstan; 03-15-09 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-15-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Glad to see my topic has generated some interest. Personally, having come here for far too long I went through a phase where yeah, seeing "your favorite movie"? threads posted 1,000 times annoyed me, but I got over it and went on. I don't see any need to be a jackass when "jabbing" new members, and I know if I had encountered this when I came to this forum way back when, I would've moved right on along. One of the appeals for me of DVD Talk was its civility compared to a lot of Internets forums. Unfortunately this seems to be changing a bit. I do think the mods do an awesome job and wasn't attacking them at all in my topic; but they can't "mod" every member. I offer no answers really other than perhaps think if you'd like being spoken to like you're an idiot, or if you'd dare talk like you post to someone's face. That's all I got.
Old 03-16-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think part of it is just that people are coming here with a bad attitude and not really looking and prior post/threads etc. like if someone went to Otter to get a real answer, good luck with that, but some noobs don't know that and they get agitated (hey, even some long time members) and that frustration gets going and people gang up. for anyone that's been here long enough, dvdtalk is ful of smart asses, that's one of the reasons I enjoy this site so much but I don't post as much as I should/could. others also don't know how far to go, someone gets called a noob and they retaliate with an insult to the person''s mom, or something personal when "noob" although an insult is in a playful manner. this is just an example. the third point for me is that a lot of people (and it seems newer folks are more guilty of it) start threads that have no meat in them. Like, name your favority movie with a gun, or recomend me.... or etc. as dx23 had mentioned as I'm in 100% agreement with him.
Old 03-16-09, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by benedict
There used to be some DVDTalk-specific "written rules" and these are currently being re-tooled and will soon be published again. I am fairly certain that there will be adverse comment soon after they re-appear and again when they are explicitly enforced.

I'm glad to hear that. You have been the first moderator/administrator to give an actual update in regards to the rules in the forum. I'm also glad that a second moderator was added to the Movie forum. That will tone down the flaming posts and catfights that have been ensuing for the past several months.

Another suggestion may be to improve the search engine for the site. I believe that it is working less since the forum upgrade was implemented. Part of the duplicate threads/thread resurrections discussion has been caused in part by the sub-par search engine this forum has.
Old 03-16-09, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This forum is used for entertainment purposes and pissing off random strangers is entertaining.
Old 03-19-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
I'm glad to hear that. You have been the first moderator/administrator to give an actual update in regards to the rules in the forum. I'm also glad that a second moderator was added to the Movie forum. That will tone down the flaming posts and catfights that have been ensuing for the past several months.

Another suggestion may be to improve the search engine for the site. I believe that it is working less since the forum upgrade was implemented. Part of the duplicate threads/thread resurrections discussion has been caused in part by the sub-par search engine this forum has.
Always always search by title. The default search is useless.
Old 03-19-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We should force all new members to spend 30 days in Other before they're allowed to roam free to other parts of the fair land of DVDTalk.
Old 03-19-09, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
We should force all new members to spend 30 days in Other before they're allowed to roam free to other parts of the fair land of DVDTalk.

So in other words you don't want us to have any new members stay for more than 30 days?
Old 03-19-09, 06:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Or might it have an equal and opposite effect of driving Otters insane and away from the forum?
Old 03-19-09, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if they make it the 30 days we'll at least know that they belong. We can all gather around and go "We accept you, one of us! Gooble Gobble!"
Old 03-20-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I lurked for about 2 years before I finally joined and while it might not be as friendly as it once was all I have to add is.. who's taking this shit seriously?
Old 03-20-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
. There were a few posters who I initially wanted to punch in the mouth...

Yeah, but you hit like a girl, ya Mary.

Old 03-20-09, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L

Well, if they make it the 30 days we'll at least know that they belong. We can all gather around and go "We accept you, one of us! Gooble Gobble!"
We could call it DVDTalk boot camp.

The few, the pr... umm... few.
Old 03-23-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I've got a thread dedicated to a particular weekly list of DVD sales ranks, and its feedback has been very limited. This past week, another Senior Member took the opportunity to lament the fact that High School Musical 3 has sold a lot of DVDs. When I, in turn, lamented the fact that these kinds of remarks are really unnecessary, he countered by insisting that "no one on the internet has a sense of humor."

Now, I am by no means a fan of High School Musical. But it seems to me that one would expect, in a thread about top selling releases, that something like that would rank highly. Why, then, disparage it? More importantly, this anecdote underscores the biggest problem with forum behavior of late: When called out on such remarks, the poster turned it around and tried to paint me as the bad guy, for lacking a sense of humor!
Old 03-23-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, but... it's High School Musical 3.
Old 03-23-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Now, I am by no means a fan of [I]High School Musical.....
thou dost protest too much...why didn't you jump on the guy who made the Tyler Perry comment ?

Last edited by covenant; 03-23-09 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-23-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wah wah wah, a banal thread all about how "it's so nasty here! We used to all be happy and post about happy things!"

Since the OP is looking for honest appraisals: The board has not changed in tone (although I miss when posters weren't allowed to say "fuck" liberally), so this thread is therefore a waste of time, and I'm surprised so many people attended the neuter party.
Old 03-23-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I've got a thread dedicated to a particular weekly list of DVD sales ranks, and its feedback has been very limited. This past week, another Senior Member took the opportunity to lament the fact that High School Musical 3 has sold a lot of DVDs. When I, in turn, lamented the fact that these kinds of remarks are really unnecessary, he countered by insisting that "no one on the internet has a sense of humor."

Now, I am by no means a fan of High School Musical. But it seems to me that one would expect, in a thread about top selling releases, that something like that would rank highly. Why, then, disparage it? More importantly, this anecdote underscores the biggest problem with forum behavior of late: When called out on such remarks, the poster turned it around and tried to paint me as the bad guy, for lacking a sense of humor!

Lighten up, Francis.
Old 03-23-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Is the "Is the forum getting ruder and nastier?" thread getting ruder and nastier?
Old 03-23-09, 08:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Wah wah wah, a banal thread all about how "it's so nasty here! We used to all be happy and post about happy things!"

Since the OP is looking for honest appraisals: The board has not changed in tone (although I miss when posters weren't allowed to say "fuck" liberally), so this thread is therefore a waste of time, and I'm surprised so many people attended the neuter party.
You just proved the OP's question.
Old 03-23-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
thou dost protest too much...why didn't you jump on the guy who made the Tyler Perry comment ?
Largely, I let it slide because he's posted more than me and his slam was (relatively) subtle and coupled with praise for another title. But yeah, you've got me dead to rights there.
Old 03-24-09, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
You just proved the OP's question.
A question is already proved by being self-evident. What you are probably attempting to type was that I proved the OP's point.

Welcome to the board.
Old 03-24-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
A question is already proved by being self-evident. What you are probably attempting to type was that I proved the OP's point.

Welcome to the board.

Old 03-25-09, 09:32 PM

I don't know if it's getting ruder and/or nastier. But I do find it more annoying than ever. A lot of the beat the dead horse threads and "jokes".

Florida?

fixed.

1) blah blah blah
2) ???
3) profit

Seriously, I think people just hang out all day on Florida news sites to find a story to post.

Although, this website is more mature and friendly than some of the other forums I've been going to (dvdtalk has been boring recently).
Old 03-26-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
I don't know if it's getting ruder and/or nastier. But I do find it more annoying than ever. A lot of the beat the dead horse threads and "jokes".

Florida?

fixed.

1) blah blah blah
2) ???
3) profit

Seriously, I think people just hang out all day on Florida news sites to find a story to post.

Although, this website is more mature and friendly than some of the other forums I've been going to (dvdtalk has been boring recently).
You just need to pee in someone's butt.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.