Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Is the forum getting ruder and nastier?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Is the forum getting ruder and nastier?

Old 03-12-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Is the forum getting ruder and nastier?

Originally Posted by iamiam
I would have preferred you deleted all offensive posts in that thread and PMd warnings to all, rather than singling someone, me , out publicly.
See this is the problem. Did you not read Wenders whole post because this is exactly what he is talking about.

Also, as a mod I have it as my personal policy that I will not discuss moderation activities or posts in the thread itself. If you have a problem with something I've posted or done as a mod, PM me to discuss it and I'll be happy to explain my reasons. Movie Talk is for the discussion of movies, not for the discussion of the moderation of Movie Talk, or the discussion of the behavior of the posters in Movie Talk. If you feel like you're being treated unfairly then I certainly want to hear about it, but I don't think a public thread is appropriate for the airing of potentially private grievances.
And then they say the "veterans" are rude.
Old 03-12-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Just hug it out, bitch.
I don't know, i've tried to e-hug quite a few people here and very few reciprocate (thanks Groucho)
Old 03-12-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Maybe the forum is getting Rudyer instead.

Is that a personal attack?

But really I lurked here since 2001 and when I joined it was not like jumping in cold. The new guys need to get the feel for the place before they go off.
Old 03-12-09, 03:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
See this is the problem. Did you not read Wenders whole post because this is exactly what he is talking about.

And then they say the "veterans" are rude.
I took it as not to discuss it within the thread. Isn't this section of the forum to discuss those issues? Please clarify, am I being "rude" for wanting it discussed here? Will I receive additional warning points?

Last edited by iamiam; 03-12-09 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-12-09, 03:39 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I took it as not to discuss it within the thread. Isn't this section of the forum to discuss those issues? Please clarify.
Yes, this is a place to discuss issues like that, if you want. Someone called you a "noob". You responded by calling them a "dick". If you can't understand the difference then I'm afraid I can't help you very much.

Is that enough clarification?
Old 03-12-09, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Yes, this is a place to discuss issues like that, if you want. Someone called you a "noob". You responded by calling them a "dick". If you can't understand the difference then I'm afraid I can't help you very much.

Is that enough clarification?
They both can be construed as an attack in the context of the post. Calling someone a "noob" can be playful, or it can be used as a putdown. As a mod, your duty is to moderate engaging discussions with impartiality. If you can't understand the difference then you are contributing to the hostility that runs rampant in some of these threads.
Old 03-12-09, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is really funny because I've been complaining about this same issue the past 3 month and it only got me a suspension, several closed threads, put at odds with several members here and a shut the hell up you mini-mod.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedb...te-2009-a.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedb...eadcrap-2.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedb...l-version.html

Since my suspension, I have tried to keep to myself and really feel a little bit odd trying to participate in threads again. Some of the fun I had participating in this forum is gone and I believe the OP and several other members feel the same way. Again, with no written rules, there is no point to complain.
Old 03-13-09, 04:04 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by dx23
Since my suspension, I have tried to keep to myself and really feel a little bit odd trying to participate in threads again. Some of the fun I had participating in this forum is gone and I believe the OP and several other members feel the same way. Again, with no written rules, there is no point to complain.
There used to be some DVDTalk-specific "written rules" and these are currently being re-tooled and will soon be published again. I am fairly certain that there will be adverse comment soon after they re-appear and again when they are explicitly enforced.

With regard to the "mini-mod" accusation thing, my advice would be to let this go. Harping back cannot be a positive way of dealing with such matters.

If you now post predominantly in a non self-conscious, on-topic manner, I can't see how you'd not derive enjoyment from your activities here.

If, during your day-to-day reading you genuinely feel that a rule has been breached, you can send a PM. However, if you were perceived to be scouring the forums to find posts to report and/or reporting borderline posts, then it is likely that you'd be regarded as the boy who cried wolf and/or maybe wasting the time of the volunteer mods and admins. There is a balance.
They both can be construed as an attack in the context of the post. Calling someone a "noob" can be playful, or it can be used as a putdown. As a mod, your duty is to moderate engaging discussions with impartiality. If you can't understand the difference then you are contributing to the hostility that runs rampant in some of these threads.
1) The mods/admins with IB will decide the form of moderating that will take place here. Yes, there will certainly be consideration paid to the input of members, but this isn't a democracy and I don't think that any of us will be taking orders from those who are uanable to show respect or courtesy to fellow members.
2) It is for the moderator/admin to determine the extent of any response and individual styles will vary. Some people lock troublesome threads. Some people edit/delete troublesome posts. Some people move out the troublesome posts and leave them visible but locked so as to demonstrate where a line has been crossed. From time to time members will be warned publicly or privately and it could be the case that not all participants will be regarded as equally culpable and so will receive differing treatment. At different times the same mod/admin may do any combination or take another tack entirely. Chances are that there'll be a complaint regardless of what action is taken from someone who feels maligned. There is a balance to be struck here, too.
3) Regarding infraction notices, I suspect that these are sent out anonymously or pseudonymously by virtue of the board software. And if they are unsigned, they could come from any of a particular forum's moderators OR from an admin. If you look at the timing of the administrative action taken in the "From Hell" thread and the name of the person who signed off on the split threads, if you so wish, you might then deduce who sent the infraction notice about which you seem to be complaining....

The fact that you participated in the derailing of a thread and still won't accept that your participation merits any administrative action indicates that you may not be happy with the way things are run here. But if you have anything further to say on YOUR treatment I would suggest that you send me a PM. I can guarantee here that your message will receive the reply that I believe it merits.
Old 03-13-09, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

...the thread becomes a free-for-all banality.
I thought that wasn't allowed since the IB/XCritic split.

Oh, nevermind. I see the b now.
Old 03-13-09, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by benedict
The fact that you participated in the derailing of a thread and still won't accept that your participation merits any administrative action indicates that you may not be happy with the way things are run here. But if you have anything further to say on YOUR treatment I would suggest that you send me a PM. I can guarantee here that your message will receive the reply that I believe it merits.
I'm not sure how to interpret your post but let me just say this will be my last post here on this forum. The thread in question derailed soon as it left the station, long before I arrived with my comment, "So are the dicks."
Old 03-13-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure how to interpret your post but let me just say this will be my last post here on this forum. The thread in question derailed soon as it left the station, long before I arrived with my comment, "So are the dicks."
Did he just call us dicks again?

Can we get back to having fun. It's Friday!!!
Old 03-13-09, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

but let me just say this will be my last post here on this forum.
What is the point of stating that?

I'll never get why people feel the need to state things like that.
Old 03-13-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That guy quitting the forum made this thread kinda worth reading.
Old 03-13-09, 02:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
That guy quitting the forum made this thread kinda worth reading.

448...mark it!
Old 03-13-09, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
Before I made post #1 here, I lurked for a few months to get a feel for the atmosphere in the forums. I knew there were a few smart asses in the threads. I honestly don't remember how I was received. I think sarcasm and at times biting sarcasm is part of the game here, but it shouldn't cross the line into personal attacks.

It definitely takes some time to learn the styles of various posters. There were a few posters who I initially wanted to punch in the mouth, but over time I've gotten used to their posting angle and often times enjoy it.
Old 03-13-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Minor that avatar really gives me the heebie jeebies.
Old 03-13-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I might as well add my 2 cents, since I sort of instigated everything.

My "noobs" post was made in jest and I told iamiam that in a pm shortly after the thread was closed. All this hubbub for the lack of a smilie....

Last edited by covenant; 03-13-09 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-13-09, 05:21 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Did he just call us dicks again?

Can we get back to having fun. It's Friday!!!

Up for some L4D or RE5 tonight?!
Old 03-13-09, 05:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Cow
What is the point of stating that?

I'll never get why people feel the need to state things like that.
My favorite is when they quit only to come back 3 months later when their chosen format has "won". Not naming names of course
Old 03-14-09, 06:06 PM
Banned

Well....as a longtime lurker, and only recent joiner...I must say that I believe that DVDTalk has gotten grumpier/meaner. I actually only recently started posting in threads...but I'm kinda over it already. Not to say "I quit!" like that other dude somewhere above me did, but I don't feel very welcome here. I hate to use the ignore button...but it's either that, or ignore half the threads. Or the site in general. I mean, not everyone acts like an ass, but enough do that it becomes a drag to deal with after awhile.
Old 03-15-09, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD

Up for some L4D or RE5 tonight?!
Dammit Gizmo my bad. I didn't read that till this morning. I would have too. I don't have RE5 didn't like the controls. Might pick it up, not sure. Let's play this week or tonight.

Sorry guys back on topic.......
Old 03-15-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as the new posters don't start posting everything in a different color, I don't care what the fuck they do.

Posts like this make it hard to hold back, though.

= J
Old 03-15-09, 03:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Well....as a longtime lurker, and only recent joiner...I must say that I believe that DVDTalk has gotten grumpier/meaner. I actually only recently started posting in threads...but I'm kinda over it already. Not to say "I quit!" like that other dude somewhere above me did, but I don't feel very welcome here. I hate to use the ignore button...but it's either that, or ignore half the threads. Or the site in general. I mean, not everyone acts like an ass, but enough do that it becomes a drag to deal with after awhile.
I think some people need to grow a backbone personally. They take things way to seriously and can't figure out the difference between a small jab and an attack.
Old 03-15-09, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I think some people need to grow a backbone personally. They take things way to seriously and can't figure out the difference between a small jab and an attack.
According to the rules that are sporadically/occasionally followed, a "small jab" IS an attack. Those who feel the need to assert their "hyper-intelligence" over the rest of us by "putting us in our place" need to grow a spine themselves, and use it to grow the decency to keep their yaps shut.
Old 03-15-09, 06:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
According to the rules that are sporadically/occasionally followed, a "small jab" IS an attack. Those who feel the need to assert their "hyper-intelligence" over the rest of us by "putting us in our place" need to grow a spine themselves, and use it to grow the decency to keep their yaps shut.
please point out exactly in the "rules" where it says a "small jab" is an "attack". because i would "love" to see that "written" in the "official" rules. "thanks".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.