Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Premium memberships?

Old 12-21-08, 12:29 PM
  #201  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,132
I see your point. There was a credit card option two days ago when I signed up. It's gone now
Psi is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 01:17 PM
  #202  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,319
You can still use a CC. You click the PayPal button, then look towards the bottom where it says, "Don't have a PayPal account..."

Btw, the countdown feature is retarded looking and reminds me of a Japanese Anime forum.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 01:21 PM
  #203  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Btw, the countdown feature is retarded looking and reminds me of a Japanese Anime forum.
The avatars are pretty retarded looking as well.
NoirFan is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 01:29 PM
  #204  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tommyp007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 5,658
I think I'll stay "non-premium" for a while.
tommyp007 is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 02:22 PM
  #205  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,609
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
You can still use a CC. You click the PayPal button, then look towards the bottom where it says, "Don't have a PayPal account..."

Btw, the countdown feature is retarded looking and reminds me of a Japanese Anime forum.
Well, doesn't that just sign you up for a PayPal account?
Xbox69 is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 02:48 PM
  #206  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,114
Originally Posted by Xbox69 View Post
Well, doesn't that just sign you up for a PayPal account?
Yeah that's what it looks like.
Giantrobo is online now  
Old 12-21-08, 03:36 PM
  #207  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 6,197
They might have had an issue with credit card payments and maybe disabled it. IB-Dick could possibly explain tomorrow.
pilot is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 05:52 PM
  #208  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,114
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
They might have had an issue with credit card payments and maybe disabled it. IB-Dick could possibly explain tomorrow.
That would be great. Thanks for responding pilot. I would love to get a Premium Membership but I wanted to just get some stuff cleared up. That's all.
Giantrobo is online now  
Old 12-21-08, 06:53 PM
  #209  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 6,197
For those who are concerned about Paypal (if you have one but do not want to sign up) - you can sign up then cancel your subscription, which then should not re-bill you again in another year. You go into your Paypal account, look for the subscription for the premium membership (you may have to go into you history) then select details, then click cancel subscription.
pilot is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 09:38 PM
  #210  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,664
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
The avatars are pretty retarded looking as well.
Very much so. However, if you haven't done so, you can go into your User CP and disable the avatars. First thing I did when I saw all of them in the morning.
GreenVulture is offline  
Old 12-21-08, 09:57 PM
  #211  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
JohnSlider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Detroit, Michigan PSN: JohnSlider
Posts: 3,507
I'm surprised that wasn't made a Premium feature.
JohnSlider is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 11:38 AM
  #212  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
CKMorpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,023
Soo I just bought one, how do I know if it worked? EDIT: Ooo, on the side. that's how I know.
CKMorpheus is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 12:16 PM
  #213  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Originally Posted by GreenVulture View Post
Very much so. However, if you haven't done so, you can go into your User CP and disable the avatars. First thing I did when I saw all of them in the morning.
Oh, believe me, they're disabled.
NoirFan is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 12:40 PM
  #214  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Jersey represent!
Posts: 5,644
Originally Posted by tommyp007 View Post
I think I'll stay "non-premium" for a while.
Yeah, this. If Geoff was still running the show, I'd be happy to give him some money. IB...not so much.
UncleGramps is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 01:22 PM
  #215  
Internet Brands
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 560
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
They might have had an issue with credit card payments and maybe disabled it. IB-Dick could possibly explain tomorrow.
Explaination: Nothing has changed with the billing options. I just re-ran through the process and everything is exactly the same.

Originally Posted by John Slider View Post
I'm surprised that wasn't made a Premium feature.
We did not remove any options and make them only available to Premium Members. All features of the Premium Memberships are new.
IB-Dick is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 01:51 PM
  #216  
DVD Talk God
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,497
Ive been looking around.. i cant find my ban tokens
twikoff is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 01:58 PM
  #217  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,132
Originally Posted by IB-Dick View Post
Explaination: Nothing has changed with the billing options. I just re-ran through the process and everything is exactly the same.
Wasn't there an option to pay by credit card directly instead of using a credit card but going through paypal? I thought I saw it on the first day, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Just saw your response in the other thread. Thanks.

Last edited by Psi; 12-22-08 at 02:00 PM.
Psi is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 02:00 PM
  #218  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 9,129
Originally Posted by GreenVulture View Post
Very much so. However, if you haven't done so, you can go into your User CP and disable the avatars. First thing I did when I saw all of them in the morning.
I did this as well. I find the avatars annoying. I just hope they maintain the policy of no images in signatures as well. That shit is even worse.
edstein is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 06:42 PM
  #219  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
That'sAllFolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,720
I'm trying to justify this b/c this site has saved me a ton of money.

But if you don't care about avatars, what really are you missing by not joining?

Avatars: Don't Care.
Social Groups: Don't Care.
Premium Membership icon next to your screen name: Don't care
User Photo Albums: Could be interesting, but not worth 10 bucks.
Panic Button: WTH is that?
private "Premium Members Only" forum: potential, but until I know what that really might entail, it's not a deciding factor

To quote the announcement: "and much more" --- what is that?

I really only go to the Bargains forum. Sometimes when I'm bored, DVD Talk or TV Talk, but not much else on any regular basis. So, for now, I'm passing, but may change my mind before 1/2/09.
That'sAllFolks is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 08:09 PM
  #220  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,867
Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
I'm trying to justify this b/c this site has saved me a ton of money.

But if you don't care about avatars, what really are you missing by not joining?

Avatars: Don't Care.
Social Groups: Don't Care.
Premium Membership icon next to your screen name: Don't care
User Photo Albums: Could be interesting, but not worth 10 bucks.
Panic Button: WTH is that?
private "Premium Members Only" forum: potential, but until I know what that really might entail, it's not a deciding factor

To quote the announcement: "and much more" --- what is that?

I really only go to the Bargains forum. Sometimes when I'm bored, DVD Talk or TV Talk, but not much else on any regular basis. So, for now, I'm passing, but may change my mind before 1/2/09.
Panic button is what you click when your boss comes by to take you to a predetermined webpage (chosen by you)

I find alt-tab is efficient enough, since any web page can be frowned upon.

You also forgot the nifty count down timers!
jonw9 is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 11:36 PM
  #221  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Posts: 781
The countdowns are super ghey. So are avatars.
vcuram is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 11:42 PM
  #222  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Mikael79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: IA Now, From MN
Posts: 5,907
Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
Panic Button: WTH is that?
The panic button is so small, that if I were really in a panic, I think I would probably have about the same amount of time to just close the window.

The avatar was important to me, and was worth the $10.
Mikael79 is offline  
Old 12-22-08, 11:46 PM
  #223  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,403
I thought about going for this, but ultimately the features weren't worth it, even for $10. I also went into my CP and turned off the avatars. I don't mind most of them, but the animated gifs are annoying.
TheMovieman is offline  
Old 12-23-08, 11:27 AM
  #224  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,975
Are animated avatars allowed?
dx23 is offline  
Old 12-23-08, 11:47 AM
  #225  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,718
Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
Are animated avatars allowed?
Yes.
X is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.