Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

bigjim25's tv-on-dvd polls

Old 05-16-08, 03:01 PM

bigjim25's tv-on-dvd polls

I reported one of them, since they have been frustrating me for months by not being regular threads with some semblance of actual information included other than a link to other websites. Then I noticed there were 5(!) of them on the first page of threads alone.

Can someone in authority please drop him a nice note to convince him to stop making them polls, please? It is getting to the point where I am avoiding that forum altogether and just skipping to other ones, thus missing out on any other good threads that might be in there.
Old 05-16-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Do you expect him to write a 12 page summary about a TV on DVD release? You're supposed to have a link where you got the information about the release and that's all you really need to have. The information is one click away. Most people don't even add polls.

Posted threads about a release of a BD or DVD just has the link to the site where you got your information from and the OP might contain one of these: or followed by a comment like "can't wait!" or "it's about time!" and that's about it.

It was pretty silly to report him for contributing to DVD Talk. If you don't like it, do what you said you were going to do and don't post here.
Old 05-16-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While DVDTalk has rules about making too many posts on the front page, what's the issue with him making them polls?
Old 05-16-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by odisn
I reported one of them, since they have been frustrating me for months by not being regular threads with some semblance of actual information included other than a link to other websites. Then I noticed there were 5(!) of them on the first page of threads alone.

Can someone in authority please drop him a nice note to convince him to stop making them polls, please? It is getting to the point where I am avoiding that forum altogether and just skipping to other ones, thus missing out on any other good threads that might be in there.
There are 6 on the first page.
Old 05-16-08, 04:10 PM
Banned

That is the most stupid report I have ever heard. Are you too lazy to click the link provided to the information of the release? He likes to add to the thread a poll, so what? If you don't like them, then don't click on them.
Old 05-16-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure what the OP's specific complaint is: The nature of the threads without more information in the original post, the fact that they include a poll or the fact that there are a number of them currently on the front page.

Of course, if you've hung around for a while, you know which one the mods will take exception with...
Old 05-16-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's a contributing member. I don't see what the big problem is.
Old 05-16-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I never even noticed them, or at least that there's a number of similar type posts. I typically scan thread titles, and if it concerns something that interests me I look, if not I move on.

It's not like every thread can or should appeal to everyone. That would be ridiculous.
Old 05-16-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-16-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I'm not sure what the OP's specific complaint is: The nature of the threads without more information in the original post, the fact that they include a poll or the fact that there are a number of them currently on the front page.

Of course, if you've hung around for a while, you know which one the mods will take exception with...
Old 05-17-08, 06:08 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
I never even noticed them, or at least that there's a number of similar type posts. I typically scan thread titles, and if it concerns something that interests me I look, if not I move on.

It's not like every thread can or should appeal to everyone. That would be ridiculous.
Exactly. I don't see how it is bothering you OP.

You're avoiding an entire forum because of a few threads that don't give you enough information?

How about being helpful and posting more information if you are interested in that title?
Old 05-19-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have add my two cents to this thread. I don't find anything wrong with what Bigjim is doing in creating threads of tv on dvds releases. However, one of the mods just closed the "Las Vegas" Season 5 thread for lack of information.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=531684

He posted the information link, do we now have to add a comment to the threads? Is the poll what's the issue? Is there a new procedure that we have to do in order to create threads with DVD release dates? I'm confused.
Old 05-19-08, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I have add my two cents to this thread. I don't find anything wrong with what Bigjim is doing in creating threads of tv on dvds releases. However, one of the mods just closed the "Las Vegas" Season 5 thread for lack of information.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=531684

He posted the information link, do we now have to add a comment to the threads? Is the poll what's the issue? Is there a new procedure that we have to do in order to create threads with DVD release dates? I'm confused.

I was wondering the same thing too. He provided the link with the information for the release. Given that the site doesn't let you copy and paste their info, is the most he could have done at the moment. And by the way, I have seen threads contain more wording but less usefulness.
Old 05-19-08, 12:54 PM

Another questioning why it was closed.
Old 05-19-08, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
I was wondering the same thing too. He provided the link with the information for the release. Given that the site doesn't let you copy and paste their info, is the most he could have done at the moment. And by the way, I have seen threads contain more wording but less usefulness.
I was just going to post that. You can't copy and paste information from tvshowsondvd.com.

Originally Posted by Dead
Closed for lack of content.

Letting people know information shouldn't equal a locked thread. I thought the thread was fine and it wasn't any different from any other release information threads that I've seen other than he added a poll.
Old 05-21-08, 12:31 PM

Oh well...plenty of uppity n00bs means a change in direction around here, I suppose. I just remember when threads about releases used to actually give details on the content, not just a link, which then spurred on much more discussion.

Since I've more or less been told to "f-off" by most of you, I will just stick to the bargain threads and peruse other sites for mature discussions.
Old 05-21-08, 12:47 PM

Oh well...plenty of uppity n00bs means a change in direction around here, I suppose. I just remember when threads about releases used to actually give details on the content, not just a link, which then spurred on much more discussion.

Since I've more or less been told to "f-off" by most of you, I will just stick to the bargain threads and peruse other sites for mature discussions.
I guess I'm an uppity n00b, but I think that instead of "quitting", you should do two things.

1 - If you wanted intelligent discussion on a title in one of his threads, start it.

2 - If his threads bother you, ignore them and start your own if you care.

I don't see any change around here, except a lot of complaining over insignificant things. I still see lots of intelligent discussion on DVDtalk.
Old 05-21-08, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I guess I'm an uppity n00b, but I think that instead of "quitting", you should do two things.

1 - If you wanted intelligent discussion on a title in one of his threads, start it.

2 - If his threads bother you, ignore them and start your own if you care.

I don't see any change around here, except a lot of complaining over insignificant things. I still see lots of intelligent discussion on DVDtalk.
Old 05-21-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought it was a rule that when starting a thread it had to include more then just a link or a quoted text from an article, like some sort of opinion or comment by the poster. I imagine a thread with just a picture of a DVD release or something would be similar.
Old 05-21-08, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I thought it was a rule that when starting a thread it had to include more then just a link or a quoted text from an article, like some sort of opinion or comment by the poster. I imagine a thread with just a picture of a DVD release or something would be similar.
His threads are full of substantial information (in the link, which can't or shouldn't be cut and pasted), and a question (in the thread title/poll).
So if that rule exists, he doesn't violate it.

Why should we have to repeat a question that is clearly in the thread title?

As long as he isn't posting dozens each and every day, I see no problem. If the title has no appeal to the members of the forum then the thread will quickly die.
Old 05-21-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Eh, I'm not so sure i'd say they're full of substantial info. Don't get me wrong, I think its a stupid rule along with the too many posts on the first page complaint, but within the context of the rule I understand.

For instance, the Big Bang Theory thread has a poll, a picture, and a link. Not even a release date yet. I don't care since I'm glad to know its coming and these threads usually start the discussion, but I can see why mods enforcing the rules might lock it.
Old 09-10-08, 08:31 PM
Banned

So Bigjim25, a long time member and contributor to the forum was told not to continue posting polls, even though they had relevant information on new releases and abe55, a newbie, is allow to do the same without any repercussions? Of his 123 post, 115 are polls and 1 is almost a poll. Bigjims25's polls were about new things while abe55's have been about the same thing. This is an example of his posts:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=539377
Old 09-15-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the difference is that abe55's polls at least prompt some sort of meaningful/interesting discussion (though admitedly they rarely do), whereas Bigjim's threads are usually just a link, which I think is a bit silly; I mean, if I wanted the info from the original site, I would go to the original site rather than clicking on it through DVDTalk. It reeks of laziness on his part to not take the extra 30 seconds to copy and paste the press release (or a release date or a price or something) in his OP.

Strange, too, since in the Music forum, Bigjim is usually the first person to post coverart and a nicely formatted tracklisting.
Old 09-15-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I believe the issue was that a lot of the info isn't copy/pastable from those sites.
Old 09-15-08, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GreenVulture View Post
I think the difference is that abe55's polls at least prompt some sort of meaningful/interesting discussion (though admitedly they rarely do), whereas Bigjim's threads are usually just a link, which I think is a bit silly; I mean, if I wanted the info from the original site, I would go to the original site rather than clicking on it through DVDTalk. It reeks of laziness on his part to not take the extra 30 seconds to copy and paste the press release (or a release date or a price or something) in his OP.

Strange, too, since in the Music forum, Bigjim is usually the first person to post coverart and a nicely formatted tracklisting.
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I believe the issue was that a lot of the info isn't copy/pastable from those sites.
Yes, the copy/paste function is disabled on the tvshowsondvd.com site, so Bigjim's only option is to gives the link with a poll. My problem with the abe55's post is that many of the polls overlap each other and to me he is just doing polls for the shits and giggles and not to spark any meaningful discussion. Is not like he is even giving his opinion on the films he posts. Every post he makes is just a poll and almost everytime you go to the movie forum is just crowded with 5 polls he created with little discussion. As soon as one of his threads dies, he creates a new one.

Is just something that has been bugging me everytime I visit the Movie Talk forum but if nobody else has a problem with it, I'll just let it be.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.