Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

bigjim25's tv-on-dvd polls

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

bigjim25's tv-on-dvd polls

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I did not know tvshowsondvd disabled the highlighting function; that is something of a dick move. But still though, it's very easy to copy the text, it's just going to take a couple of minutes rather than 30 seconds.

As for abe's polls, while I agree he's been overdoing them recently, I don't really mind them all that much, as it's fun to get a general DVDTalk consensus on certain film subjects. Look on the bright side; he'll eventually run out of things to poll, right? Right?
Old 09-16-08, 02:19 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dx23
My problem with the abe55's post is that many of the polls overlap each other and to me he is just doing polls for the shits and giggles and not to spark any meaningful discussion. Is not like he is even giving his opinion on the films he posts. Every post he makes is just a poll and almost everytime you go to the movie forum is just crowded with 5 polls he created with little discussion. As soon as one of his threads dies, he creates a new one.

Is just something that has been bugging me everytime I visit the Movie Talk forum but if nobody else has a problem with it, I'll just let it be.
In a way, even if one could discern it, the OP's intent is almost immaterial so long as the poll/thread does start a discussion....

I don't moderate that forum but when I was in there looking into the "excessive Dark Knight thread furore" - mentioned in Feedback a short while ago - I noticed the preponderance of abe55 threads.

Because they
a) seemed to be generating discussion, and
b) for the most part there weren't too many such threads on the front page
I didn't see the need to visibly step in - although I may have closed one or two short ones that dropped onto page two.

Now that Wenders has volunteered to take up some of the slack in Movie Talk it may be that this is something that he'll keep an eye on <i>if it clearly becomes a problem.</i> In the meantime, there is always the IGNORE function for anyone whose contribution is regarded as superfluous.

I've no comment on the BigJim aspect of this discussion except to concur with GreenVulture's positive opinion of BigJim's contribution to Music Talk.
Old 09-16-08, 07:33 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by benedict
Now that Wenders has volunteered to take up some of the slack in Movie Talk it may be that this is something that he'll keep an eye on <i>if it clearly becomes a problem.</i> In the meantime, there is always the IGNORE function for anyone whose contribution is regarded as superfluous.
Just to let everyone know, I'm currently without electricity and have been since Sunday, so my only internet access is at work. Because of that, if you report a post and don't get an immediate response, rest assured I'll get to it as soon as I can. AEP is telling us we'll have power by tomorrow (Wednesday night), but it might be several more days.