Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Benefit of the doubt... obsolete? (aka "My Last Post"?)

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Benefit of the doubt... obsolete? (aka "My Last Post"?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
Just wondering why you care so much about this, Adams?
Gonna go with this one too... He broke 2 pretty big rules, why do you care?
Old 03-09-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Here's the welcome the guy got...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=494285

...and here's where he re-registered to try and get an answer and explain himself:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=494291

My only question is why immediately ban someone? Suspension works just as well. It's simply a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
Mike, I kinda agree with X's position:
Originally Posted by X
No matter your reason for asking this question, a personal attack like this in your second post shows you can't abide by the rules you just agreed to.
Unless I am mistaken... when you go to register for the forum, it immediately links you to the rules. And Rule Number One is:
ABSOLUTELY NO:
• Posting of personal attacks against another member, moderator or administrator in the forum
So by joining the forum, you agree to the TOS. If you violate the TOS, you'll get booted -- and when Razzorback immediately started in with personal attacks, it became clear he wasn't going to fit in around here. (As a long time poster here, you know that too often, the mods will err on the side of caution when it comes to banning new members, allowing a new member multiple abuses with little more than a warning; suspension is almost invariably used for longer-term members.)

But I really commend you for sticking up for some random guy like this, even threatening to leave the forum as a matter of principle. I'd urge you to stay, since you seem to be the model of the kind of forum member that DVDTalk should work to retain.
Old 03-10-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not only the first, and most important rule, but there's also an additional emphasized warning after the list of forum rules to re-enforce just how seriously the administrators will take such action. The guy then violates that most important of rules in his 2nd post. It's that simple. What other people posted, whether he's a bootlegger or not, and what color pants I'm wearing (hint: trick question) are not relevant. He broke the biggest rule in Post #2. The End. The fact that he broke another cardinal forum rule in Post #3 just reinforces that the decision was correct. That this is even being discussed, all the while repeatedly taking side-jabs at the mods for properly enforcing forum policy, is downright wacky.

If you honestly would "much rather be in a place where trolls thrive than have shit happen like what happened here", then DVD Talk is clearly not the place for you, and you should seriously consider following up on your multiple threats to leave. I don't say that to be rude, but that's not what this forum is about, and thank God there's a place on the Internet where the mods/admins pay attention to the needs of the many and help foster a legitimate community that will certainly endure for a long time to come. If that's not what you want, there are countless newsgroups and chatrooms where you and OJ and Robert Blake can party it up, but DVD Talk is not a dating service, it is not the promised land of the free, and there is no mandate for the wretched refuse of teeming shores.

das
Old 03-10-07, 01:36 AM
Bye

My only point is that personal attacks do not equal immediate banishment, and yet a personal attack that was a reaction to being incorrectly labeled as a bootlegger <b>did</b> result in immediate banishment for this guy, but nobody's been able to explain why. DarthMarino broke the same "cardinal rule" in his reply, and nothing was said or done. It's complete bullshit.

We've got animatedude saying shit like "Fuck U All" and telling people to "fuck off" directly, so if that's not a personal attack, I don't know what is. If a single personal attack meant instant banishment, his ass would be gone, but in spite of the fact that I already reported his post, I haven't heard one peep out of a moderator or administrator about it. On top of that, animatedude's tirades are completely unprovoked -- he took it upon himself to start hurling insults at innocent members, probably because he knew he could.

Three words... double fucking standard.

Oh, and by the way... I'm here to talk about DVDs, and you'll probably notice that my posting frequency has gone down quite a bit since this happened. Besides, nobody's coughed up any links to these supposed "many other DVD forums", so I haven't had much of a choice. Judging by your recent posts, all you want to talk about is sports, so I ask you, which of us really doesn't belong in a DVD forum???

Last edited by Mike Adams; 03-10-07 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-10-07, 01:53 AM
Bye

Originally Posted by NCMojo
...when Razzorback immediately started in with personal attacks, it became clear he wasn't going to fit in around here.
Once again, he did <b>not</b> immediately start in with personal attacks. He asked a simple question, DarthMarino misunderstood that question and made a false accusation, which obviously pissed this guy off. I'd love to hear the explanation for animatedude just randomly fucking with people because he was too goddamn lazy to ask a question in a chat, and yet nobody's said anything. THAT is "immediately starting in with personal attacks", not what Razzorback did.
Old 03-10-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a community where X is considered verboten, isn't calling someone X at least as much of an attack as calling them a common profanity? Profanity is just a method for showing disrespect, so it seems to me that DarthMarino was the one who both started the personal attacks and, given the context of these forums, his was the more disrespectful of the posts.
Old 03-10-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Once again, he did <b>not</b> immediately start in with personal attacks. He asked a simple question, DarthMarino misunderstood that question and made a false accusation, which obviously pissed this guy off. I'd love to hear the explanation for animatedude just randomly fucking with people because he was too goddamn lazy to ask a question in a chat, and yet nobody's said anything. THAT is "immediately starting in with personal attacks", not what Razzorback did.
It is funny how everyone else "gets it" but you do not. Has it ever occurred to you when you are the only one who thinks something that you might be wrong?

This forum is a membership community (like many). The goal of the forum rules is to keep order, maintain high value members and cast off low value members. Members demonstrate their value by their posts here. If someone has 10,000 posts that follow forum rules, including some that are amusing, insightful, challenging, etc... and they then explode on someone in one post, it is easy to see it as a misunderstanding. If someone has 2 posts, and at post #2 calls someone else an asshole, that's probably that. Firstly, there is no evidence they are going to be a member that brings any value. Secondly they likely will make a hell of a lot of work for the volunteer admins and mods on this site. Why should they have to put up with a member who is going to create a lot of work for them while this member disrupts the flow of the forum?

Finally, I find it comical that here and in 2 other recently made posts you are scouring the forum rules in search of hypocrisy. Regardless of how rules are interepreted or not, calling someone an asshole unprovoked is completely unacceptable on this forum, or anywhere in the real world. I'll assume you get bent out of shape when a cop walks past a jaywalker but goes after a murderer.
Old 03-10-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
I thought this thread was gonna be his "Last Post"?

I feel so used..... [runs crying from the thread]
Old 03-10-07, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bushdog
Regardless of how rules are interepreted or not, calling someone an asshole unprovoked is completely unacceptable on this forum, or anywhere in the real world.

Not really trying to defend that guy, but how does being accused of being a bootlegger with no evidence not count as 'provocation'?
Old 03-10-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by porieux
Not really trying to defend that guy, but how does being accused of being a bootlegger with no evidence not count as 'provocation'?
Probably his first post, where he asks a basic bootlegging question.
Old 03-11-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I thought this thread was gonna be his "Last Post"?

I feel so used..... [runs crying from the thread]
It appears it is. Look at his user title.

I guess now he can find those other sites he so heavily missed out on.

= J
Old 03-13-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed. Both sides were wrong.
Old 03-13-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hear you.

To curse someone out? I don't think so. To take exception and use pointed language, I think that is more justified. He crossed what is a very clear line here.
Old 03-13-07, 06:52 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Bushdog
I hear you.

To curse someone out? I don't think so. To take exception and use pointed language, I think that is more justified. He crossed what is a very clear line here.

Yeah, but in this current semantics argument, it is still provocation. Just not enough to justify the reaction (as you point out).

Point being you don't really "hear" poriuex.
Old 03-13-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

First

Now back to the point -- on the sematics, provoke means to elicit, to bring about the response. I do not think his post proportionally should have elicited that response, thus he did not provoke him.
Old 03-14-07, 11:49 AM
Retired

Meh, still provocation. The response just exceeded the level of provocation.
Old 03-14-07, 11:36 PM

Funny