Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Suggestion/request for DVD Reviews format

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about putting some sort of notation next to an anime review (or list them separately)? I find myself frequently opening a particular review only to have to close it after I realize it's an anime , which is not a genre I'm interested in.

Cheers
peter

Cheers
Peter
Old 11-29-05, 07:16 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by epiphane
How about putting some sort of notation next to an anime review (or list them separately)? I find myself frequently opening a particular review only to have to close it after I realize it's an anime , which is not a genre I'm interested in.

Cheers
Peter
Peter, doing so would open up a huge can of worms for those who dislike other genres. Besides, how "frequently" do you have a problem telling if something is an anime review before clicking on it? I'm willing to bet that most people could pick such reviews out with little trouble but why does it upset you so much to have to bypass a review because it's not to your liking (after clicking on it)?
Old 12-01-05, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Houstondon
Peter, doing so would open up a huge can of worms for those who dislike other genres.
>>SNIP<<
why does it upset you so much to have to bypass a review because it's not to your liking (after clicking on it)?
It's just kind of a pain because I open the page where the review titles are listed & then open the actual review in a new browser & either read or print them for later reading. Since you do review a lot of animes I find myself opening a lot of pages I wouldn't normally.

Yes, some of the anime titles are obvious, but most aren't to me. Other than anime I pretty much look at every review & then make a decision if I should finish reading it. It seems to me that anime is such a different genre from others (i.e., drama-thriller-action,etc.) to warrant some sort of separate classification.

At least in my circle of acquaintances folks will say "Yea, I like anime" or "I never watch them"....whereas they would never say, "I never watch drama, only action...blah...blah..."

Cheers
Peter
Old 12-01-05, 02:36 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Peter, your input is valued but I don't see any special flagging system being put into place for this one. I have friends that would never click on a comedy (admittedly, their sense of humor is skewed), I'd never click on a horror review (unless written by one of my favorite reviewers here), and I'm sure that a few others would like a more comprehensive system of labeling the reviews of all sorts but it's far easier to just tell you to delete your pages once you see they aren't on reviews you want to read (or to skip the obvious anime titles) than to re-code the entire system.

If there are more than a handful of titles that don't stand out as anime written in a given month, I'd be very surprised. If you read a couple dozen of them, you'll probably find that the others stand out far more readily too.
Thanks again for the input!
Old 12-01-05, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Houstondon
Peter, your input is valued but I don't see any special flagging system being put into place >>SNIP<< it's far easier to just tell you to delete your pages once you see they aren't on reviews you want to read (or to skip the obvious anime titles) than to re-code the entire system.>>SNIP<<
okey...dokey..

Cheers
Peter
Old 12-01-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
And it's quite possible that if you read the review, you might find a story, plot, characters you would be interested in watching, that just happen to be animated rather than living.
I somewhat see anime as its own genre, but then, I don't. There are crime, horror, thriller, comedy anime, just like Hollywood. So the argument goes both ways.
The only genre that I think should be 'labeled' or separated out is adult, and I think they are.
Old 12-01-05, 04:03 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

DT, you're right; anime is more of a medium for telling a story than a genre. I think the general sentiment some people have is that anime=cartoons they remember when growing up. The best works in the field compare favorably with any other movie or TV show but it can be an acquired taste.

Adult is separated out for all the obvious reasons but I'd hate to see mainstream splintered into a never ending series of categories based on a small number of people's desire to avoid a relatively tiny amount of reviews.