Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Administrator I have a question

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-04, 12:47 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you please guide me to the rules where it says that you can't post requests for votes?

like this thread

I don't see anywhere where this is disallowed?

It isn't as if I just popped on the board to post this. I have been a member of the board for awhile if you look at my profile. I just don't post much
Old 07-30-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While Azteca's intentions may be honorable, enough other sites like this are e-mail address farms.
Old 07-30-04, 12:53 AM
Cool New Member

Isn't that something the members should be able to decide for their selves?

Many members here have throw away email address that they wouldn't mind using even if they have reservations about Azteca.

You allow posts such as freebiz magazine which as everyone is aware is an email harvester.
Old 07-30-04, 01:03 AM
Cool New Member

I looked up in the rules and I still don't see where my post would be prohibited. I only see this rule which does not apply.

• Posting of any form of advertising including: URL's with affiliate codes, referrer tags, tracking numbers or anything which actively promotes a site or company.
It makes me feel like perhaps my post was closed simply because my title says new member.
Old 07-30-04, 01:04 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
We disallow anything that harvests people's email addresses. Asking for people to use multiple ones borders on fraud as well.
Old 07-30-04, 01:15 AM
Cool New Member

My post did not violate that rule at all (even if that rule had been posted, which it does not appear to be). This is a legitimate business and a legitimate contest. Just check the better business bureau if you have any doubts about that.

By the logic you have posed then STL is against the rules because it asks people to sumbit their email address to a legitimate company.

Borders on fraud: There are absolutely no rules re: voting on the site. Only rules for entering the contest. It does not say one vote per person or anything even remotely to that effect.

I have no problem accepting that you don't allow the post as long as there are rules in regards to it. DVDtalks current rules do not prohibit my post. It just seems rather contrived.
Old 07-30-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by karener
I have no problem accepting that you don't allow the post as long as there are rules in regards to it. DVDtalks current rules do not prohibit my post. It just seems rather contrived.
DVD Talk is a privately owned and operated site, so Geoff can pretty much do what he wants, whether there is a rule about it or not. Maybe you could just accept that and move on.
Old 07-30-04, 01:26 AM
X
Administrator

Borders on fraud: There are absolutely no rules re: voting on the site. Only rules for entering the contest. It does not say one vote per person or anything even remotely to that effect.
Then it sure sounds like they're harvesting email addresses. They could more easily accomplish their implied goal of unique votes with unique IPs.
We also have guidelines that are followed for the common good of our members. We are not able to list them all.

But when you are told that we don't allow something you can either accept that decision or you can appeal to Geoff at [email protected].
Old 07-30-04, 01:33 AM
Cool New Member

I will move on. I just thought maybe someone would want to address the obvious double standard.

Sites like freebizmag are allowed but a legitimate local restaurant is not.

I still feel like this has more to do with the fact that I am not a member that has been here for long time then anything else. I am willing to bet $ that if someone like olddude or mysterX posted it, that it would have been allowed and supported.

The clarification of this would help me to decide if I want to continue to support DVDtalk by making sure all my DVD purchases are done through the referral links. Right now I am leaning towards supporting another site instead, since it feels like I am not a valued member of this community.
Old 07-30-04, 01:35 AM
X
Administrator

It's curious that you're now such a stickler for our rules, you didn't seem to care too much about the one regarding posting under multiple accounts.
Old 07-30-04, 01:41 AM
Cool New Member

multiple accounts
Old 07-30-04, 01:42 AM
Cool New Member

oops that was supposed to have a ?

multiple accounts?
Old 07-30-04, 01:42 AM
X
Administrator

MrBumpo
Old 07-30-04, 01:43 AM
Cool New Member

That's my boyfriend... not me. You do know that some people have DSL and thus have the same IP right?
Old 07-30-04, 01:44 AM
X
Administrator

So that's your boyfriend who's trying to win the contest and not you?
Old 07-30-04, 01:46 AM
Cool New Member

Yes, it seems easier to just post that I entered the contest then saying "oh my boyfriend entered the contest and I am helping him try to get votes so that he will take me on the trip with him".

Doesn't it?
Old 07-30-04, 01:50 AM
X
Administrator

I'm glad you cleared up that multiple account thing. Your boyfriend should send us an email if he wants his account reinstated since it was deactivated quite a while ago. That's why our rules also say

ABSOLUTELY NO:
Registering more than one account. (If you share a connection, please contact a moderator/administrator before signing up another account or BOTH will be terminated.)
Old 07-30-04, 01:55 AM
Cool New Member

He didn't think it was necessary. He doesn't really have a need to post. If he finds a DVD deal he just asks me to post it.

By the way if your point was to prove that "I" broke the rules. Technically, I did not since I signed up first. It wasn't as if he asked me if I had an account here before doing so. He violated the rules not I.

Got anything else you would like to accuse me of? I really feel like I am being slammed here for no reason.
Old 07-30-04, 01:58 AM
Cool New Member

Thought I should add that if your intentions are being misread perhaps you should state that. I do realize that it is hard to gauge someones tone when all you are reading is words.

I am a perfectly reasonable person.
Old 07-30-04, 02:02 AM
X
Administrator

I'm trying to say we have rules that are not necessarily written and we have ones that are written. In both cases we look at the circumstances involved when we try to follow them.

The "asking for people's emails to enter a contest" one isn't explicitly stated but the multiple accounts from one connection is. We do not always rely on a strict interpretation of the stated rules and we try to consider what is best for the community.
Old 07-30-04, 02:11 AM
Cool New Member

I can understand that. I truely can. I am a moderator on a very busy underground webboard so I know where you are coming from.

It just seems to me that when a post is questionable to you that it would make sense to either do some research to see if it should be allowed or maybe remove the url in a pending status until the poster can prove to you that it should be allowed.

I think I would be totally capable of providing you information in order to realize that the post should be allowed.

Something for you to consider. I hope you really do.
Old 07-30-04, 02:16 AM
X
Administrator

The way to prove to me that it should be allowed is by your asking Geoff. We recently had a similar circumstance where emails needed to be provided and Geoff said no when I asked him.
Old 07-30-04, 02:21 AM
Cool New Member

I intend to email him and ask.

I just thought I would let you know that I do appreciate you actually taking the time to discuss this with me and not just saying shut up or you will be banned like many hot head mod/admins do.
Old 07-30-04, 02:26 AM
X
Administrator

If I had known it would go on so long I would have preferred doing it through email. But I got sucked in and we did at least clear up another matter as well.

Good luck winning your trip to Mexico!
Old 07-30-04, 03:43 AM
Cool New Member

I just sent my appeal to Geoff. Hopefully it won't take him long to reply.

In case any other administrators wish to reply I thought I would include a few similar posts that have been allowed recently.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=377189

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=376110

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=375898

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.