Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Forum ping pong? ("recommendations" threads)

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been noticing a lot of threads being passed back and forth between the main DVD Talk forum and the DVD Reviews & Recommendations forum. All seem to have the word "Recommendations" in the title but are asking about general types of movies, horror, criterion, Woody Allen, etc.

This thread http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=273357 on horror DVDs, for example, has gone back and forth between the two at least twice.

While it's kinda fun to see where the next volley goes, I'm just wondering where these threads really should be posted. This sticky thread in the Reviews forum seems to indicate that general recommendations aren't considered "reviews" and should go in DVD Talk, but I noticed a "Woody Allen recommendations" thread was just moved from DVD Talk to the Reviews forum.

So what's the offical word?
Old 02-24-03, 11:38 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oops. I've been taking the "Recommendations" part of "Reviews & Recommendations" literally. I've been sending "Recommend to me a good __________ DVD" to R&R. I guess they could go to Movie Talk instead.
Old 02-25-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would think reccommend me some good _____(directors name, genere) should go to movie forum and is _____ a good blind buy should either go to the movie forum (if its about the general movie and nothing to do with the dvd), and in the review forum if it has something to do with the dvd.
Old 02-26-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,424 Likes on 1,040 Posts
I'm of the opinion that Talk and Reviews (w/ Recomendations) should be one forum. I think the traffic would benefit each other, and every other HT forum has theirs the same way.
Old 02-26-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No mention of "idiot moderators".... someone is slipping.
Old 02-26-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idiot administrators.
Old 02-27-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,424 Likes on 1,040 Posts
I'm not calling anyone an idiot, moderating an internet forum has got to be like herding cats.

That said, I'm making a serious suggestion that the two be combined. I truly think they would be better together.
Old 02-27-03, 10:17 AM
Admin Emeritus

Idiot modera... oh, wait.

We just recently separated Recommendations out into Reviews because people complained about all the "Is ________ a good blind buy?" threads in Talk. If we were to bring those back, in addition to "Any reviews on _________?", I don't think it would go over well.

The delineation works pretty well for me... DVD news, release dates, and specs go in Talk, while reviews go in R&R. Personally, most days I just want to read about upcoming or current releases. If one of the threads in Talk sparks an interest, I'll go find a review for the disc at one of the many reviews sites out there (including this one). I'd prefer not having to wade through review threads for all these discs that I'm either not at all interested in, have already found a review on, or already own.