Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

What in the blue blazes?

Old 02-12-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why was this thread locked? Confusion.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=270640

Why was my thread locked??? I wasn't discussing anything that was pushing the bounds of copyright. That's bull. X, you're too uptight in that forum, seriously. There needs to be some kind of median in the forum...I mean, what the hell can we post about?

If we can't mention the word 'rip', then you might as well take 'dvd-r' out of the forum title...since technically, anything you put on a VCD or DVD-R is 'ripped' from somewhere or something.

Last edited by Tarantino; 02-12-03 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-12-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

X, dammit, where's that sticky?!!

We can discuss ripping DVD AUDIO but not the AUDIO commentary?

BTW, a 'wtf' title isn't going to help your case much, Tarantino
Old 02-12-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have a case. I just want to know why my thread was locked. The answer he gave me in the original thread was BS.
Old 02-12-03, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-12-03, 01:59 AM
X
Administrator

Who said we can discuss ripping DVD AUDIO?

As far as I can tell, the audio is encrypted with CSS just as the video is. Therefore ripping the audio is violating the DMCA.

I don't like it. You don't like it.

If you really don't like it I suggest letting your Senators and Representative know.
Old 02-12-03, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah-ha!
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hlight=BeSweet
Old 02-12-03, 02:17 AM
X
Administrator

Thanks. Looks like I completely missed that thread!
Old 02-12-03, 02:44 AM
Mod Emeritus

Ripping a commentary which is property of the movie studio that made it would be common sense IMO as off limits in discussing how to rip it. Even if you use it for legitimate reasons, it could easily be used for illegitimate reasons. No different than "backing up" movies which is off-limits.

Slightly off topic to this thread.... It's funny I know in the gaming forum they use the strangest logic for justifying piracy, for example a recent game Half Life that came out on one system but was never released, instead it was going to be a Playstation 2 game to make more money. Now people think they can download/pirate the unreleased version just because it was never released....??? The mind boggles.
Old 02-12-03, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But in the same forum we can discuss burning a CD...?

And who the hell would someone 'sell' a commentary to (eluding to the whole 'I could use it for illegitimate reasons...)?

So I can discuss copying a CD, but not a DVD...that makes sense...
Old 02-12-03, 09:06 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Tarantino
So I can discuss copying a CD, but not a DVD...that makes sense...
Sure does. You (usually) don't have to break an encryption scheme to copy a CD. I copy audio CDs so I can have the copies in my car(and keep the originals safe indoors). That way I don't have to worry about them getting scratched up or stepped on. I didn't have to break any encryption scheme to copy them, so they fall under fair use. DVDs are encrypted with CSS, therefore you can't legally circumvent the encryption to copy them unless you are licensed to. I think the DMCA sucks ass, but the only way to get rid of it is to do what X suggested... write your Senators and Representative.
Old 02-12-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I *do* think there is a very inconsistent policy about 'copying' media here on dvdtalk.

Why wasn't this thread locked? http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=264627
Old 02-12-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nazgul, read this thread through. Breaking the copy protection that games use is not a violation of federal law.
Old 02-12-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So if I wanted to I could post a thread about how to defeat copy protection with any PC game?

How is that not illegal?

Isn't the copy protection in relation to games the same as the encryption on DVD's?
Old 02-12-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I saw a program listed in one of my computer magazines, which I threw out when I was done reading it so I don't remember the program name, that said you could copy dvds for backups legally.
would that program be ok to discuss? I don't even own a dvd burner so I rarely enter the copy/rip threads, just wondering
if it's a case of "well some legitimate could be used illegally" that could be applied to so many products. technically a baseball bat discussion thread could be closed for the same reason (yes that's stretching things but I couldn't think of a better example right now)

Last edited by mikehunt; 02-12-03 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-12-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The program is called "DVD Copy X" or something very similar.
Old 02-12-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not incredibly familiar with the DMCA, but from my understanding game publishers could enforce it for their software but they do not. The MPAA obviously takes a different stance.
Old 02-12-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
that sounds about right

Originally posted by Nazgul
The program is called "DVD Copy X" or something very similar.
Old 02-12-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's called DVDxCopy, and still...none of this makes sense.
Old 02-13-03, 08:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

It's called DVDxCopy, and still...none of this makes sense.

Which part doesn't make sense?

You and I may not like it, but the DMCA makes it illegal to do anything that breaks the encryption being used on DVDs for access control. To digitally move an audio tract from a DVD to another format would require that either the other format supported CSS or that you broke the encryption and removed it from the copy. As such, what you want to do would certainly appear to be illegal under the current law.
Old 02-13-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Dead
Which part doesn't make sense?

You and I may not like it, but the DMCA makes it illegal to do anything that breaks the encryption being used on DVDs for access control. To digitally move an audio tract from a DVD to another format would require that either the other format supported CSS or that you broke the encryption and removed it from the copy. As such, what you want to do would certainly appear to be illegal under the current law.
I don't think he's referring to just DVD's in general. It's more of an issue with thr copying of all 'media' that gets discussed here. If you're going to enforce DVD's, why are CD's and PC games left alone?
Old 02-13-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think he's referring to just DVD's in general. It's more of an issue with thr copying of all 'media' that gets discussed here. If you're going to enforce DVD's, why are CD's and PC games left alone?
Have you been completely unaware of the DeCSS debacle?
Old 02-13-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll get my answer elsewhere...it's futile arguing with a hypocritical moderator.
Old 02-13-03, 10:39 AM
Mod Emeritus

CDs don't have CSS on them, so you don't have to violate the law to make a copy from CD to another medium. I'm not familiar enough with PC games to know how they are protected. As such, I can't say one way or the other on threads discussing copying them.
Old 02-13-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll get my answer elsewhere...it's futile arguing with a hypocritical moderator.
Oddly enough, moderators are members too. I'd watch the personal attacks.
Old 02-13-03, 11:36 AM
X
Administrator

What is the problem? What more explanation are you looking for?

I don't know what else can be said. I assume you read this thread too - http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=269944

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.