Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Explain to me the fascination of "blind buy" DVD threads (merged)

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Explain to me the fascination of "blind buy" DVD threads (merged)

Old 01-23-03, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Static Cling
What is a review other than giving your opinion (although a review could be more of a listing of facts/specs, rather than an opinion)? What is an opinion other than a quick summary of how you felt about the disc... a condensed review, in a sense?

I'm asking these questions seriously... does anyone feel that these are accurate/inaccurate descriptions of opinions and reviews?
Static, (this may be getting nit-picky) what about the category "DVD Review"? Doesn't that mean to review the DVD as a whole. IMO, that should include the facts/specs of the DVD as well as the quality of the content. If a "DVD Review" only comments on the movie, then it is a "DVD Movie Review" or just a "Movie Review"

Although, it seems like most Blind Buy threads are people asking if they should buy the movie (i.e. A 'Yes' or 'No' answer) to which, the person responding gives thier review of the movie/DVD.

That's where I have a problem with the Blind Buy threads. A simple "Yes" or "No" answer is pretty pointless. And to follow up the answer with a review of the movie turns the Blind Buy thread into a review thread.

I don't see where the confussion lies? (seriously speaking)
Old 01-23-03, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Tscott
I don't know if its just that the review forums get less traffic,
You hit the nail on the head! Most people don't want to follow the rules because (and I quote) "I'd get better responses here", but rules are rules and why should we enforce the rules when people are allowed to make exceptions?
Old 01-23-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
And now we're getting oh-so-clever "joke" posts like the "Helen Keller buy" thread posted (and quickly locked, amen) in the main forum. Move all these damn blind buy threads to the review forum and let them languish. By gum!!
Old 01-23-03, 03:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Music
Oh and Static, I don't like your location... seems insulting...
I didn't think people would get it, but that's okay. It's one of the songs from the Sifl and Olly Show, a hilarious, short-lived MTV show about sock puppets that was killed before its time. Incidentally, I'm probably one of the most idealistic, pro-USA posters on here (even if I don't post in those kind of threads much).

Also, the line in my sig "I'm going to be the next Canadian Dracula" is a line from one of their skits.
Old 01-23-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Whatever

I went down to the beach and saw Kiki,
She was all like, eehhhh,
And I'm like, WHATEVAH!

And then this chick comes up to me,
and she's all like, hey, aren't you that dude,
And I'm like, yeah, WHATEVAH!

So later, I'm at the poolhall
And this girl comes up and she's all like, awww,

Cuz this is my United States of Whatever
And this is my United States of Whatever

And then it's 3 AM, I'm on the corner wearin my leather,
This dude comes up to me and says, Hey Punk!

Then I'm throwin' dice in the alley
Officer Leroy comes up and he's like, hey I thought I told you..
And I'm like, WHATEVAH!

And up comes Zafo, and I'm like Yo! Zafo, whassup?
And he's like, Nuthin.
And I'm like, that's cool.....

Cuz this is my United States of Whatever
Old 01-23-03, 04:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exactly.
Old 01-23-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Yes, Review Forum "review wanted" and DVD Talk "blind buy" are the very same thing, as I've said before (with a fine line as far as belonging in Movie Forum), but there's another difference I just relized.

Asking for reviews is an innocent and harmless request for opinions. if the poster likes what he/she reads, they may make a decision to give the disc a try.

Blind buy has a bit more risk involved as the one posting the thread is essentially putting the spending of his/her hard-earned money in others' hands. "If you say I should buy it, I will"
Old 01-23-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth GuessWho •<HR SIZE=1>Yes, Review Forum "review wanted" and DVD Talk "blind buy" are the very same thing, as I've said before (with a fine line as far as belonging in Movie Forum), but there's another difference I just relized.<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

No they're not. The differences are subtle, but they're there. Maybe Blind Buy threads also belong in Review, but it's not the same thing, and the threads get different responses as already discussed ad nauseum in this and other threads on this subject. At its most simple, "Blind Buy" implies almost complete lack of knowledge of the film itself; it also is an implied request for others who bought it blind to share their experience. A "review" covers a much broader spectrum, particularly those who saw it in a theater and are now debating purchasing the DVD in addition to having already seen the film.

As for those insisting you rent/buy the film instead of asking questions, that's just nonsense. May as well shut down the forum if we're never going to ask each other for opinions on things. I'm very self-oppinionated and rarely let someone else influence my purchases, so if I'm interested in something, I buy it myself. But I'm not going to hold everyone else to that because it's simply my preference. Blind Buy threads, consequently, don't really interest me that much ... so I don't click on them. Not hard.

das
Old 01-23-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Is Undercover Brother a good blind rental?
Old 01-23-03, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
At its most simple, "Blind Buy" implies almost complete lack of knowledge of the film itself; it also is an implied request for others who bought it blind to share their experience. A "review" covers a much broader spectrum, particularly those who saw it in a theater and are now debating purchasing the DVD in addition to having already seen the film.
To me, it sounds like a "Blind Buy" & a "DVD Review" do the exact same thing. They discuss wether the DVD is good or not. I would think that people who reply to either topic Have Seen the Movie on DVD

Instead of arguing whether or not Blind Buys are the same as DVD Reviews, maybe we should argue against the people who review DVD's and only give thier opinions on the movie (i.e. the fact that they don't discuss DVD quality/extas, etc.)

Isn't that what DVD Review/Blind Buys are all about? It's basically saying "Will this DVD make me happy I bought it?"
Old 01-23-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DarthMarklar
I would think that people who reply to either topic Have Seen the Movie on DVD
Ah, there's another difference between asking for reviews and asking for opinions on a blind buy! I have actually responded to some blind buy threads with something like, "I haven't seen it yet, but plan on picking this up on release day as a blind buy. I feel it's a good risk for me." I wouldn't feel right doing that when someone asked for a review of a title, though.

I have a good idea of what I like, and based on the actors/directors I like, a general concept of the plot or setting and reviews/word of mouth, I've added many good "blind buys" to my collection. Of course, I could be wrong- and have been about 10 times out of 350 blind buys (less than 3%), but I like those odds. I generally find out what I can about these titles before hand (on my own), and I have never personally started a blind buy thread, but I don't mind sharing my opinions of what to expect for a title I'm interested in if someone asks on the forums.
Old 01-24-03, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Tscott
Ah, there's another difference between asking for reviews and asking for opinions on a blind buy! I have actually responded to some blind buy threads with something like, "I haven't seen it yet, but plan on picking this up on release day as a blind buy. I feel it's a good risk for me." I wouldn't feel right doing that when someone asked for a review of a title, though.
But I would ignore that post if I ever asked someone about a blind buy. Why would I take the advice of someone who hasn't seen or owned the movie???

Why not go into the Movie Reviews and reply to a movie (that you haven't seen) and say "I recommend everyone see this movie because I am going to see it next week". Do you think that would REALLY convince someone who is debating whether or not to see it??? Not me.
Old 01-24-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But I would ignore that post if I ever asked someone about a blind buy. Why would I take the advice of someone who hasn't seen or owned the movie???
Ebert: I never saw "Chicago" but I heard it was kinda good, so, umm..... 3.5 stars!!!

Old 01-24-03, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by GuessWho
Ebert: I never saw "Chicago" but I heard it was kinda good, so, umm..... 3.5 stars!!!
I've never listened to movie critics...I don't even listen to my friends (most of the time, they're wrong) I go by gut instinct.

I don't need to ask about Blind Buys, isn't that a big part of Blind Buying? Going with a gut instinct and not because everyone else says so?
Old 01-24-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Beyond gut instinct, and getting back to one of my 2 original points:

MANY people choose what they'll see at a theater just by convenient showtime. They'll get to a multiplex and choose form the 2-3 that start within the next half hour.

Now, if 2 people can spend a combined $18 on that decision based on their own value judgement of the ads/promo they've seen for the film & their opinion of the actors involved, why does a $12 dvd turn into a college term paper research assignment?
Old 01-24-03, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by GuessWho
Now, if 2 people can spend a combined $18 on that decision based on their own value judgement of the ads/promo they've seen for the film & their opinion of the actors involved, why does a $12 dvd turn into a college term paper research assignment?
Wait...I forget who's side you were on

This means you're against Blind Buy threads? If so, then I agree (no more arguing)...if not, Let the term paper continue
Old 01-24-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think that blind buy threads do get different responses as mentioned by others.

I have asked for a blind buy advice on Band of brothers in a thread before. Hey I wanted to buy it based on reviews but just needed a few go for its to push me over the buying edge

I think many blind buy help requests happen in Dvd Bargain threads when a price is real good and you are looking for that push to leap over with the other lemmings

I really do not see the problem with having threads like this in the Dvd talk forum since it really is not asking for a review but a short answer and usually a short reason why it is a good blind buy about a dvd

I would never give Embrace of the Vampire a good review however I do think it is a good blind buy if you like Ms. Milano nude
Old 01-24-03, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
I would never give Embrace of the Vampire a good review however I do think it is a good blind buy if you like Ms. Milano nude
Then shouldn't your review say "The movie isn't that great, except for the nude scene."???? Also, why can't you ask if a DVD is a good blind buy in a Review thread?

Isn't that one of the reasons for replying to reviews: Asking if it's worth buying the DVD if you haven't seen it?
Old 01-24-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Then shouldn't your review say "The movie isn't that great, except for the nude scene."???? Also, why can't you ask if a DVD is a good blind buy in a Review thread?

Isn't that one of the reasons for replying to reviews: Asking if it's worth buying the DVD if you haven't seen it?
To be honest- I have only really asked for blind buy advice in a deal thread about that dvd. So if a dvd has a good price that I know will not be around the next day I sometimes have asked for advice in that thread. I have never started a thread just to get advice.

I do not review dvd's. At times I give an opinion on a dvd. if someone asked for a blind buy I would probably do a quick post giving some short advice if I had some. I would never post a review of a movie if someone was asking for a review since i would assume they would want more than a sentence or two.

By the way in Embrace she is nude in more than one scene- a good blind buy if you think she is hot
Old 01-24-03, 02:06 PM

I do not review dvd's. At times I give an opinion on a dvd. if someone asked for a blind buy I would probably do a quick post giving some short advice if I had some. I would never post a review of a movie if someone was asking for a review since i would assume they would want more than a sentence or two.
Oh no, I wasn't suggesting that you did reviews like these DVD reviewers do...You said "I would never give Embrace of the Vampire a good review", I realize you meant it as your opinion and not a fully written review. I just meant, if you've already stated that it's a bad movie, but the nude scenes are great (i.e. an opinion/review) than there's no need to say it's a good blind buy. Post your thoughts and let someone decide if they want to buy it based on your thoughts (i.e. Based on your opinion in the Review threads)
Old 01-24-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting that you did reviews like these DVD reviewers do...You said "I would never give Embrace of the Vampire a good review", I realize you meant it as your opinion and not a fully written review. I just meant, if you've already stated that it's a bad movie, but the nude scenes are great (i.e. an opinion/review) than there's no need to say it's a good blind buy. Post your thoughts and let someone decide if they want to buy it based on your thoughts (i.e. Based on your opinion in the Review threads)
I agree I could if a blind buy thread was in the review forum. However if someone asks for a review I generally ignore the thread unless I am interested in reading what someone said. I figure people posting in the review forum want a review not a quick opinion

Of course since I generally avoid the review forum I probably would never see a blind buy request.

I think we have far to many forums so frankly I do feel the review forum is a waste. If I want reviews I look at the dvdtalk review section not the review forum.

of course that is a bit off topic
Old 01-24-03, 02:28 PM

I think we have far to many forums so frankly I do feel the review forum is a waste. If I want reviews I look at the dvdtalk review section not the review forum.

of course that is a bit off topic
Actually, that brings up my original point as to keeping the Blind Buy threads in the DVD Review forum, maybe more people would venture there then. ????
Old 01-24-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, that brings up my original point as to keeping the Blind Buy threads in the DVD Review forum, maybe more people would venture there then. ????
not really. I used to at times post in a sports or audio thread when they were in Other. Now they have a specific forum so I just do not even bother to look in them. I may be missing out but I really somewhat limit my hitting every forum to those few I go to often.

do I ever look in different forums- yes.

I just do not spend time in them very often. so maybe once every 3-4 months I might glance in the sports forum.

I think people often have interests and are just a bothered by what people post in their favorite forum that differs from those interests. They wish that those troublesome posts would go away so that the Utopia Forum would be created.

We had this in Other- Some do not like mature posts so Mature forum. Some think that Sports is not given enough attention so they split off into a new forum. Then Music. Then Video games. Heck even books and Tv's

now you have a less vibrant community in Other. Should some of those forums have been created- yes. all of them - No.

IMO

If every day DvdTalk has pages of blind buy requests then maybe it is a problem. For now it seems to be a thread here or there. They also seem to get responses so maybe most like them

By the way I think the Review forum should be merged back into Dvdtalk it is not needed.

Last edited by gcribbs; 01-24-03 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-24-03, 03:11 PM

I think people often have interests and are just a bothered by what people post in their favorite forum that differs from those interests. They wish that those troublesome posts would go away so that the Utopia Forum would be created.

We had this in Other- Some do not like mature posts so Mature forum. Some think that Sports is not given enough attention so they split off into a new forum. Then Music. Then Video games. Heck even books and Tv's

now you have a less vibrant community in Other. Should some of those forums have been created- yes. all of them - No.
But if I posted a "Which DVD player should I get" thread in this category, it will immediately be moved into the "Home Theater" forum, no problem, but why don't Blind Buy threads get moved? True, there aren't pages and pages of them, but there seems to be a LOT of them lately. And I really wouldn't be so bothered if someone asked about an unpopular or older DVD (i.e. It may be hard to find a more recent review on The Mask of Zorro - Antonio B. or City of Angels), but whenever a Popular DVD is coming out, the Blind Buy threads start popping up...Why the need to ask everyone if Bourne Identity is a good blind buy when there is SO much info already out on it???

If you REALLY need to know wether or not to buy a "HOT' new release, then you really need to rethink your DVD purchases
Old 01-24-03, 03:30 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not really. I used to at times post in a sports or audio thread when they were in Other. Now they have a specific forum so I just do not even bother to look in them.
That's poor logic. Many like me post more in these threads now that they have their own forums. The fact that there's a ton more threads on all the topics that were split off than there were when they were in other is proof that more people post in them when they have their own area.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.