Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

4-letter minimum search? What the hell?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

4-letter minimum search? What the hell?

Old 12-03-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just hit *24 or *xxx and you would get the ones you want.
Old 12-03-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rypro 525
just hit *24 or *xxx and you would get the ones you want.
Yeah, that'd be the perfect solution if we could search with wildcards. But since the wildcards no longer work either, it makes it a little tougher.
Old 12-03-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ctyner
I was just kidding the first time around, and the second was just a friendly jab since you made a spelling error when complaining about my previous correction.
OK. I stand corrected. I thought you were gnawing on my leg instead of yanking my chain. &

I guess I’m still not getting my point across. The software is the software. How ‘bout some help on how to use it?

I know that it’s more than 3 and less than 11 characters.

No wildcards.

And that’s about it.

Is it case sensitive?

Does it respect multiple words?

Does a partial word produce results?

???

When you search for something that you know is there, but it doesn’t give you anything…

The explanation is: vBulletin's search functionality is faulty.
In other words, it’s broke.

Old 12-03-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Originally posted by Wizdar
OK. I stand corrected. I thought you were gnawing on my leg instead of yanking my chain. &
Sorry if I came across as grating. It's an unavoidable side-effect of being grating, I guess.

I guess I’m still not getting my point across. The software is the software. How ‘bout some help on how to use it?
That's the problem, though. :-/ Trying to work around the settings Geoff configured is one thing, but when you're saddled with buggy, faulty software that works in some instances but, as you demonstrated earlier, inconsistently doesn't in others... I don't know if there's really much we can do at this stage.

Precisely! I'd heard other vBulletin users complain about searches not working, but I meekly assumed everything was fine on DVD Talk (as in, the problems people were experiencing were the result of limitations intentionally set through the software) until recently.
Old 12-03-02, 06:24 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Wizdar
I know that it’s more than 3 and less than 11 characters.

No wildcards.

And that’s about it.

Is it case sensitive?

Does it respect multiple words?

Does a partial word produce results?

???

When you search for something that you know is there, but it doesn’t give you anything…

It's not case sensitive...not sure what you mean by "respect multiple words" ... partial words don't work (this last one's in my FAQ I believe...which should be updated to reflect the 10 letter limit).
Old 12-03-02, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What if we put things together like say for 24 that aired on 12/03 we listed it in the thread title 24/12/03, or XXX/release date
Old 12-03-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's probably tough to expect people to start writing in ways that will help forum load.

Besides, if we do that I insist we go with my approach and eliminate vowels. . .Stupid vowels.
Old 12-04-02, 12:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

Whts th prblm?

<small>
rgnlly pstd b Bshdg
t's prbbly tgh t xpct ppl t strt wrtng n wys tht wll hlp frm ld.

Bsds, f w d tht nsst w g wth m pprch nd lmnt vwls. . .Stpd vwls
</small>
Old 12-04-02, 01:50 PM
Retired

Originally posted by RandyC

I am curious, how many movies will fail a four character min search string? I can think of a couple off the top of my head.
As I pointed out in another thread, it's pretty ridiculous that you can't search for "DVD" on DVD Talk.

It makes it tough to search for threads on something like "Sony DVD Players," "DVD Player reviews," "DVD Empire Deals" etc.

You can fool around and usually find a few results, but I'm sure you miss some threads, and get some unrelated stuff. For example a search on "Sony Players" in the hardware forum brings up threads on CD players and DVD players, where before you could put "DVD" in the search box and only get threads mentioning Sony DVD players.
Old 12-04-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
As I pointed out in another thread, it's pretty ridiculous that you can't search for "DVD" on DVD Talk.
As I noted after that, I did not know that you could not use the 3 letter word at all. I had assumed that one had to use a minimum of 3 characters, so then one could search for SONY DVD. But I know see that is not true, and so I consider the forum search broken also.

Still, I go back to the point it's a VBB problem and we need to wait until the next release. Unless Geoff is willing to take the server load hit from a 3 character search, which I doubt he is.
Old 12-14-02, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wanted to do a search for "The Way of the Gun" but guess what, not a single word in the title will work. This really needs to be fixed. We can put a man on the moon but a simple little search casues the whole thing to come crashing down.
Old 12-14-02, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a good thing letter, minimum, and word are all at least four letters, or nobody would be able to find this thread.
Old 12-15-02, 12:12 AM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Ketamine
We can put a man on the moon but a simple little search casues the whole thing to come crashing down.
Just in case you hadn't noticed... We can't put a man on the moon.

We were able to at one time, but no longer due to budget constraints.
Old 12-15-02, 10:39 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wanted to do a search for "The Way of the Gun" but guess what, not a single word in the title will work. This really needs to be fixed. We can put a man on the moon but a simple little search casues the whole thing to come crashing down.
I'm not sure how much it cost NASA to put a man on the moon, but if DVD Talk had the same budget as NASA, I think Geoff could swing a three-letter word search.
Old 12-16-02, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there any way to make a list of three letter words that can be searched for? So searches could be done for movies / words like Red, xXx, UHF, mp3, but not other three letter words.

Also, why doesn't a search for others turn up anything, but a search for *others* (with astericks on each side) comes back with a list? What exactly does an asterick mean to the search engine?
Old 12-16-02, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We can put a man on the moon but a simple little search casues the whole thing to come crashing down.
Because the NASA scientists that worked on the Apollo 11 space program also coded vBulletin's search functionality.
Old 12-05-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate to bring this subject up again, but will the new forum software allow us to search for words less than 4 characters, or is the resource issue still a factor?
Old 12-06-04, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd really like a 3 letter limit. lots of stuff in TV Talk can't be found with the 4 letter and 3 plus an asterisk never works for me. obviously 2 letters would get too many hits, but I think 3 would be the right balance between number of hits and being able to search for stuff you actually are looking for
Old 12-06-04, 02:15 AM

one of my favorite movies in recent times is "may". after watching it on dvd i was excited to come here and search for discussion on it to see what others think about it.

anyway, that plan failed.

the problem isn't just for movies though, it's everything: movies, music, books, songs, artists, etc

can't even find an old DDD thread unless someone mentions deepdiscountdvd in it.

Last edited by Rubix; 12-06-04 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-06-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I too would like to see this reduced to a three letter minimum. Four is a royal pain in the ass.
Old 12-06-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RandyC
Solve two problems. Make users buy vowels.
Old 12-06-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Two issues I have: sometimes the fuzzy search doesn't work. Case in point, I was looking to see what threads were available about Live Aid (the bandaid concert). Live returned far too many, Aid wasn't allowed. When I tried adding various bands and people like Geldof, it did find ones, but not the one I was looking for. Surely allowing some three letter words as qualifiers would be good (ie you need at least one 4+ letter word and the three letter words will only get rid of some of the threads already found).

Aside from the greater than three letter issue (which is a problem), it would also be nice if you could do a search for a specific string. If, for example, I search for "Bill Gates" (quotes included), the search will also return a thread about front gates with a line 'posted by Bill Bloggs' as being a hit.

Makes it really difficult when you're trying to use fuzzy words to get around the three character search.
Old 12-06-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I'd really like a 3 letter limit. lots of stuff in TV Talk can't be found with the 4 letter
I still say the biggest problem is not being able to search for "DVD". But I can understand your frustration in not being able to search for your all-time favorite show ... ALF.
Old 12-06-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No one is ever going to be able to search for the movie M. Oh well.
Old 12-06-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I share your pain. Nobody can find my review of O either.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.