Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

How about a "Politics Forum"?

Old 11-19-02, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about a "Politics Forum"?

I don't know if you are noticing...but Other forum is shaping up to be a polictical forum for great use of political issues. I find this totally disgusting. I hate politics and I can withstand some low debates...but it's getting out of control. You have politics in newspapers, in the news...now in a section devoted to fun? Politics is fun my ass man.

-ant
Old 11-19-02, 11:52 PM
X
Administrator

I like politics but since just before the last election it got really messy if not downright ugly. It's not at all an exchange of ideas or possible outcomes anymore, it's slash-and-burn politics. And I've gotten sucked into it myself.

I agree that it's not fun anymore. But maybe the pendulum will swing back after people get used to the current political makeup of the country. If not, I'd sure be right along with you on the separate forum idea.
Old 11-20-02, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: How about a "Politics Forum"?

Originally posted by Sonic
I don't know if you are noticing...but Other forum is shaping up to be a polictical forum for great use of political issues. I find this totally disgusting. I hate politics and I can withstand some low debates...but it's getting out of control. You have politics in newspapers, in the news...now in a section devoted to fun? Politics is fun my ass man.

-ant
With books, video games, music, television, dvds, movies, sports, dvd bargains, non-dvd bargains and mature topics already with homes elsewhere, what the heck would the other forum consist of?

*pad*
Old 11-20-02, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Seems pretty easy to avoid those threads to me.
Old 11-20-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm with Bushdog. Nonsense threads aren't allowed, so what would Other be?
Old 11-20-02, 10:53 AM

The fun has left the forum.

Old 11-20-02, 01:18 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally posted by LurkerDan
Nonsense threads aren't allowed...

The Deuce you say!
Old 11-20-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With people suggesting new forums for just about every topic and others (I won't mention names ) complaining about news stories being posted. What will be left to discuss in Other?
Old 11-20-02, 01:31 PM
Registered

At this point the only real expansions planned for the forum are in the Video Game Talk Area.

I'm looking at subdividing that area by platform but am still mullng over that.

In terms of future forum discussion areas, I'm strongly leaning to limiting/focusing those on Entertainment related (we already have DVD, Movies, Video Games, Music, TV, Sports, Books, Sex/Mature).... And I think we've covered the majors there
Old 11-20-02, 03:03 PM
Retired

Please divide the VG forum.

Maybe then we'll actually be able to discuss games without nearly every thread devolving into a console war.
Old 11-20-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Personally, I'd really like to see the Video Game forum spun off into its own videogametalk.com.
Old 11-20-02, 11:36 PM
Retired

That would be even better.
Old 11-21-02, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey X thanks for responding immediately last night on this thread.

Thanks for others on their responses as well.

-ant
Old 11-21-02, 12:52 AM
Admin Emeritus

You think the political discussions are out of control? You must not read VG Talk much.

I personally think VG Talk is fine the way it is. Okay, not fine... but I don't think it should be split up. Many people own more than one console... it's not like everyone from each "camp" would only stay in one forum. I also think it would turn into even more of a hassle to moderate... three forums (four if you count a general and/or PC gaming forum) to watch over instead of one.
Old 11-21-02, 01:28 AM
Registered

Yeah I am just thinking about splitting VG not decided yet... Just going to see how the next few weeks in the forum goes...
Old 11-21-02, 11:08 AM
Retired

Static,

You're right that the people would't stay in each camp, but it would be the mods jobs to keep the posting on topic. i.e. Nintendo should not be mentioned in the X-box forum.

That kind of posting would be clear cut trolling, and offenders could be suspended and repeate offenders banned.

Of course it would be more difficult to mod. I'd say Geoff would need to get another mod, and have him soley deal with the VG area. And you could also keep an eye out as you already do, and it would probably be fine.
Old 11-21-02, 11:34 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
You're right that the people would't stay in each camp, but it would be the mods jobs to keep the posting on topic. i.e. Nintendo should not be mentioned in the X-box forum.
What about games that are ported to multiple platforms? There would be a thread about the game in more than one forum? I can't see going to four different forums to look through four different threads to help me decide if I want the Xbox, Gamecube, PC, or PS2 version of the game.
Old 11-21-02, 02:35 PM
Retired

I'd argue that that's what reviews are for.

Most people in the forums are only going to play one version of the multiplatform games, so they can't really tell you which version is better. Plus it's a stupid thing to ask on an internet forum, because opinions will be distorted by fanboyism.

Just read all the IGN, EGM, or Gamespot reviews, they usually mention which version is superior (if any), and you don't have to worry about fanboy bias.
Old 12-04-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll throw my vote in for not splitting the VG forum up. I like having all discussions in one area, and I don't think that the posting is really heavy enough to warrant the split. This site may have fanboyism, but that's every site, and I find that this is the only site that I can go to get even a somewhat intelligent discussion on new games and gaming in general. If I have any suggestion for that forum it's that we rid it of those "which console should I buy threads." They get so repetitive and I KNOW I can skip them, but I think enough information about the consoles can be gleaned from other threads that we don't need a thread for every person mulling over his decision.
Old 12-04-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
ditto
uh oh, gues I'm a ditto monkey now

Originally posted by JustinS
Seems pretty easy to avoid those threads to me.
Old 12-17-02, 09:31 PM
Shawn

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spainlinx0
I'll throw my vote in for not splitting the VG forum up...I find that this is the only site that I can go to get even a somewhat intelligent discussion on new games and gaming in general.