Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Is there a 'shady deal' policy?

Old 11-03-02, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there a 'shady deal' policy?

For any administrators/ high powered mods in the house, do we have a blanket policy for 'shady deals' or things of the sort? I'll run down a few different scenarios and you can tell me how the powers that be would choose to respond if the following were discussed in a thread. I call them shady because they are clearly not intended bargains and, legal or not, will probably cause a snafu sooner or later.

1) Obvious misprice - $0.00 , $1.99 etc

2) Ill-gotten coupons (ie: the Staples coupons from a while back that could be generated by fiddling with the urls)

3) Website exploit (adding the same coupon to an order multiple times, infinite Gold Box)

4) Mis-applied coupons (A coupon for Visa users that will work on a MC, multiple acconts, forged info for surveys, rewards for people who shouldn't be rewarded, undercutting the min, etc)

Do we strive for a laissez faire environment? Can DVD Talk be held responsible if a company on the wrong end of a deal raises a stink?
Old 11-03-02, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If a company creates a deal with loopholes, how can they hold DVD Talk responsible for it? DVD Talk is an information clearing house. DVD Talk is also firmly opposed to distributing information about illegal activities (like piracy).
Old 11-04-02, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Is there a 'shady deal' policy?

Originally posted by BigPete
For any administrators/ high powered mods in the house, do we have a blanket policy for 'shady deals' or things of the sort? I'll run down a few different scenarios and you can tell me how the powers that be would choose to respond if the following were discussed in a thread. I call them shady because they are clearly not intended bargains and, legal or not, will probably cause a snafu sooner or later.

Do we strive for a laissez faire environment? Can DVD Talk be held responsible if a company on the wrong end of a deal raises a stink?

"1) Obvious misprice - $0.00 , $1.99 etc"

Love those and try to buy whenever one shows up

"2) Ill-gotten coupons (ie: the Staples coupons from a while back that could be generated by fiddling with the urls)"

Really an oldy but a goody. I also try to use this as often as possible

"3) Website exploit (adding the same coupon to an order multiple times, infinite Gold Box)"

depends. is the site allowing it- If so then since they programmed their own site not me- it must be a good deal

"4) Mis-applied coupons (A coupon for Visa users that will work on a MC, multiple acconts, forged info for surveys, rewards for people who shouldn't be rewarded, undercutting the min, etc)"

another great bargain category

Remember to add in these:

1-Mistaken rebate on an item not qualified for a rebate. Dell saved me $100 on a 120 GB HD due to this great bargain.

2- The non obvious misprices. James Bond Box set for the price of one DVD in the set.

3- Unadvertised closeouts at a B&M- the CompUSA deal. Wow got a few Box Sets for $14.88 on this one

4- The pricematch. not a deal. It is if you know the price in the competitors ad is a misprint

I am sure some of the bigger deal people here will talk about a few of the other big deals(like the Columbia House Shuffle)
Signed

G "Slim Shady" Cribbs
Old 11-04-02, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would imagine as long as we aren't actively RIPPING OFF the companies, it shouldn't be a problem.

If the company put a coupon or deal out there w/o fully thinking it thru for loopholes, it's their fault.

If Buy.com offers a "$15/$50" coupon, and then someone discovers that if you type in a letter x behind the URL and it becomes a $35/$50, that's something the company should have realized.

I say, the seller should be more careful
Old 11-04-02, 04:18 AM
Uber Member

As noted already, we have a policy against posting information on trying to steal from or defraud companies. We also have a disclaimer in the forum rules (that every member must agree to before signing up) that says we are not liable for anything a member posts.

Technically speaking, none of your examples would fall under fraud or theft. Now you could make an argument that there are "good" and "bad" deals regardless of legal definitions, but that's not something we're interested in getting into. We leave those judgements to the members who decide for themselves whether to use a "deal" or not.

But if you ever come across something you think is equivalent to stealing from a company, please use the report a post to a moderator feature. It's relatively annonymous (no one except the moderators of the forum will know who made the report) and the best way to get questionable posts looked at.

Hope that answers your questions.
Old 11-04-02, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Re: Is there a 'shady deal' policy?

Originally posted by BigPete

1) Obvious misprice - $0.00 , $1.99 etc

If walmart B&M had a sticker price on a DVD for 1.99 and you pay that price, is that wrong? NO!

Everyone I know would pay the price that has been marked on the merchandise, not guess at the price that they think it should be. They will not question the price, because the store may or may not have marked it wrong. So what's the difference if people find the mistake at the B&M or online? None

The $0.00 ghostbusters was not a shady deal, because you had to get 1500 points! I guess they figured that the DVD was worth 1500 points and that's all.

Take the deals for what they are worth. If they make you feel bad don't use them. Go to the store and pay the retail price.