Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Todd B closing thread on piracy discussion

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-02, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No freedom of speech policy here then?

Shutting it out and closing the thread hardly helps combat piracy.

The topic was to get some facts and figures on what quality these law breakers are losing.

Maybe (probably not) if we have some real figures, we could convince people what they are missing out on.

But no, just close the thread. And it didnt answer my question, you just repeated what i already said.

Thanks
Dave
Old 10-04-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

betcha this gets closed too!!
Old 10-04-02, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Dave....Sorry you felt censored, but there's a very clear and simple rule here at DVDTalk...NO, and that means NO discussions of bootlegs and/or piracy of copyrighted material. The many sponsers of this sight would not take kindly to folks discussing such things, and whether meaning to or not, inadvertantly advertising/supporting them. Todd did answer your question, and thus the thread was closed. Not sure what else you wanted to know - yes, lower bandwidth and less space equals lower quality...'nuff said.
Old 10-04-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by J-Dubya
betcha this gets closed too!!
gee, now THAT was helpful
Old 10-04-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
1) This is a topic that should have been posted in the Forum Feedback section.

2)If there was no "freedom of speech" your original thread would have been DELETED, not closed for being an inappropriate topic per the rules of this forum.

3)Reading the forum's policies might be a better use of your time than jumping in on your first day and b"tching about the place.
Old 10-04-02, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,032 Posts
First, it's a private forum, Freedom of Speech doesn't apply.

Now, I might be in the minority, but I'm also of the opinion that this subject needs to be talked about. We need threads listing all the bootleg Criterion Silence of the Lambs DVDs for example to keep people from being ripped off.

And the cine-terrorist part of me thinks we should talk about stuff like the Star Wars bootlegs in an effort to get some response out of the Lucasfilm camp.
Old 10-04-02, 10:55 AM

marty888: i cant be bothered getting into a slaggin match , do you really think that fist time users that want an answer are really going to read forum policies thouroughly and then decide not to ask their question.......... i doubt it.

bGills: fair comment about sponsors, i understand. I thought it was just personal opinion about the rules.

But im still not happy with my respose, i really wanted some hard facts. Its obvious its down to lower bit rates, and maybe extras being missing. But i wanted to know stuff like would they still be dolby digital. etc etc.

Nevermind, ill go elsewhere.

Thanks
Dave
Old 10-04-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by milo bloom
Now, I might be in the minority, but I'm also of the opinion that this subject needs to be talked about. We need threads listing all the bootleg Criterion Silence of the Lambs DVDs for example to keep people from being ripped off.

And the cine-terrorist part of me thinks we should talk about stuff like the Star Wars bootlegs in an effort to get some response out of the Lucasfilm camp.
I wholeheartedly agree. In regards to the SW [and Indiana Jones] trilogies, I think the issue is that these usually end up becoming "Where do I get 'em?" threads.
Old 10-04-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rogue588
I wholeheartedly agree. In regards to the SW [and Indiana Jones] trilogies, I think the issue is that these usually end up becoming "Where do I get 'em?" threads.
I concur as well.

Rogue588, what ARE you doing up now????
Old 10-04-02, 12:07 PM

Read the rules you agreed to when you registered for an explanation. Also, this would be more appropriately handled via email to a moderator or even posted in the feedback forum.
Old 10-04-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom
We need threads listing all the bootleg Criterion Silence of the Lambs DVDs for example to keep people from being ripped off.
Just as an FYI, I have this information in the link in my sig. I am always willing to expand on it as I get new information.
Old 10-04-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bgills
there's a very clear and simple rule here at DVDTalk...NO, and that means NO discussions of bootlegs and/or piracy of copyrighted material.
Wasnt there a thread about the best quality Star Wars bootleg DVDs that was around 15-20 pages long? Seems to be that this would fall under the above, yet it had to have been seen by the admins several times. Just an observation.
Old 10-04-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
ENDContra,

You're correct, however they were around prior to the zero tolerance actions now imposed.

Star Wars and Indy were kept alive because they were aimed at discussing the quality, and because there was many people interested in them.

Of course those threads were locked up several times because they became mostly requests for where to obtain them.
Old 10-04-02, 12:29 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
milo bloom sez:
People post threads once in a while asking if certain discs they find online or elsewhere are bootlegs, and I personally don't see anything wrong with that.

Originally posted by ENDContra
Wasnt there a thread about the best quality Star Wars bootleg DVDs that was around 15-20 pages long? Seems to be that this would fall under the above, yet it had to have been seen by the admins several times. Just an observation.
Yes, there were threads on Star Wars & Indiana Jones DVDs a few months ago. However, they were closed when DVD Talk adopted a new policy on bootleg discussions, which is "discussions about where to buy bootlegs and about the quality of individual bootleg discs is not allowed."

Here's where the policy was changed.
Originally posted by davecasserly
marty888: i cant be bothered getting into a slaggin match , do you really think that fist time users that want an answer are really going to read forum policies thouroughly and then decide not to ask their question.......... i doubt it.
Are you asking if new forum members should read the rules they agreed to when they signed up for the forum? If that's your question, my answer is yes.
But im still not happy with my respose, i really wanted some hard facts. Its obvious its down to lower bit rates, and maybe extras being missing. But i wanted to know stuff like would they still be dolby digital. etc etc.
There is no bootleg quality level standard. Bootlegs are going to differ in quality and extras from one bootleg to another. So really, there is no one answer to your question except "yes."

I can understand why Todd closed your thread, because since there is no universal bootleg quality standard, eventually we would have gotten into discussions of the quality of individual bootlegs, which is against policy.

Also, as many others have stated, if this thread belongs anywhere, it belongs in Feedback. In the future, though, if you have a problem with a moderator's actions, I suggest you e-mail the moderator directly instead of starting up a thread about it or getting into it on the forum.

Moving thread.
Old 10-04-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, is this where I come to get bootlegs?????

Just kidding.