Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Do you hate when thread titles are ambiguous and leave you wondering...

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Do you hate when thread titles are ambiguous and leave you wondering...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Wizdar
Who are you calling “you guys”? Is this a continuation of the ambiguous theme?

I couldn’t care less about my post count, so you can’t be talkin’ to me.
I don't really care about my post count either. But this did make me look to see what Wizdar and I have for that.

Interestingly (maybe?) we are quite similar. I joined 12 days before he did and have posted 284 more times than he has for an average of 6.55 posts per day to his average of 6.16 per day.

Static Cling joined almost two months before me and has posted almost 3000 times more than I for an average of 10.85 posts per day. I'm not trying to make you mad or insinuate that you are padding as I've always enjoyed your posts. Plus I know some of those posts were related to your duties here at DVD Talk.

While I think those are decent averages, it's hardly the likes of many here. I just did a scan of some thread starters that have averages in the range of 11, 12, 14, 20, 31 and 36 posts per day.
Old 09-16-02, 10:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
The reason I had four back-to-back posts was because I was responding to different posts and people.
What you can do is reply to person #2, edit your first post, and cut-and-paste into that post... reply to person #3, edit your first post, and cut-and-paste into that post... and so on.
Old 09-16-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you saying do all the replies in one post or go back and edit each original post?
Old 09-16-02, 01:24 PM
Admin Emeritus

Are you saying do all the replies in one post or go back and edit each original post?
Yeah, you can do all the replies in one post. I think it's especially useful when you're just tossing off one-line replies to different people. And was the "regulars roll call" post really necessary? Anyways... it'd look similar to this post.

Originally posted by Joe Snuffy
Man, I hate them vague title threads. Thanks, mods, for clearing some of them up. Do you get paid for stuff like that?
Yeah... ten cents per title.*

*No.

Originally posted by Jane Snuffy
I like posting thread titles with ellipses at the end of them. Isn't it fun and exciting to click on a thread title and not know what's going to be inside?
If I want fun and excitement, I'd pop in a DVD or go outside. When I'm browsing the forums, I want to have an idea of what's in a thread before I click on it so I don't waste my time clicking on threads that turn out to be completely uninteresting.
Old 09-17-02, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Static Cling
And was the "regulars roll call" post really necessary?
I think it was about as necessary as the majority of posts.

My thinking on that was that I know of regulars in some of the other forums I'm usually in such as Other, DVD Talk, DVD Bargains, Mature, Hot Deals and Movie Talk.

Since I'd never been in the forum before, I just wondered if there were any people that like to hang around the Forum Feedback and Support section.
Old 09-17-02, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you can do is reply to person #2, edit your first post, and cut-and-paste into that post... reply to person #3, edit your first post, and cut-and-paste into that post... and so on.
I've never seen anyone post like that before and personally I think it would be confusing as hell. I hope that isn't some sort of new rule you guys are considering.
Old 09-17-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone. This is my first time to have a thread in Forum Feedback and Support. It is indeed a proud moment.

Any regulars that hang here I might not know?
possibly a few, do you remember josh hinkle?
Old 09-17-02, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes the name josh hinkle does sound very familiar. Was he a regular in this forum?

I know I've seen his name in other forums and I also recognize your name.
Old 09-19-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally posted by JMLEWIS1
possibly a few, do you remember josh hinkle?

On topic, I understand the problem with vague thread titles in some of the forums, but I really wonder whether that "rule" should be as strictly enforced in Other. Other is a playful environment (and please, I know it's not a "padding" environment, but if you try to tell me it isn't supposed to be playful well that's just silly). SOmetimes, part of the fun for me is wondering what a thread is about. Part of the fun is coming up with athread title that makes people want to read that thread.

At the moment in Other there's a thread called "Car Surfing". I have no idea what's in the thread. I just clicked on it. Now that I know, should the thread be titled "Standing on top of a car as if your surfing (and other crazy stunts)"? Heck no! That's no fun, and it's not interesting.

That's my opinion. In Other, I think threads should be changed only when the title is offensive or trolling. JMO.
Old 09-19-02, 02:24 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by LurkerDan

At the moment in Other there's a thread called "Car Surfing". I have no idea what's in the thread. I just clicked on it. Now that I know, should the thread be titled "Standing on top of a car as if your surfing (and other crazy stunts)"? Heck no! That's no fun, and it's not interesting.
No. I haven't even looked at the thread yet, but I figured that's what it was talking about.
Old 09-19-02, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's the deal with the JoshHinkle stuff? I read an old post from months back and someone mentioned something about remembering him.
Old 09-19-02, 10:02 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by LurkerDan
You had no idea? Cars + surfing. That's a description. As opposed to "Hey, check this out..." or "Wouldn't it be neat if..."

Old 09-20-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You had no idea? Cars + surfing. That's a description. As opposed to "Hey, check this out..." or "Wouldn't it be neat if..."

So, it's just the ellipsis that bothers you? Because, do you really want to play this game with me about undescriptive/misleading thread titles? If you don't think that I could post at least one (and probably many) every day from Other you're kidding yourself. How about this one? http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=238202 Intentionally misleading by the posters own admission. And what would you have to say about the South Park Molester thread?

No ellipsis threads? That's a fine rule (although as is often pointed out in Other, if you're not interested in a thread, don't click on it; you could easily translate that into ellipsis threads). But when you start trying to decide whether a title is descriptive enough, that's a problem. Mllefoo's threads are often a good example. She tries to come up with creative thread titles. Sometimes, I have no idea what's inside, but I check it out because she's an interesting person or the thread title is interesting. Her titles may not be "descriptive" enough, but they work for me.

And car surfing may be descriptive in your eyes, but I still had no idea what the thread was about. If forced to guess, I was thinking more along the lines of couch surfing.
Old 09-20-02, 03:20 PM
Admin Emeritus

I don't really want to play any games with you.

Feel free to report undescriptive/misleading thread titles if you want to get them changed, whether they contain ellipses or not.

How do you know if you're interested in a thread or not if the thread title has nothing to do with the thread contents? There have been many threads that I would've gladly not clicked on if I had just known what was inside.

There's no official rule about ellipses in thread titles or vague thread titles. However, I personally dislike it when a thread title tells me nothing about the thread contents.
Old 09-20-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's no official rule about ellipses in thread titles or vague thread titles. However, I personally dislike it when a thread title tells me nothing about the thread contents.
Well that's not what I've been lead to believe in the thread I started on this subject. And I think it's a slippery slope when you as mods start making judgments about when a thread title is "descriptive enough". Yes, I know that the whole business is about making judgment calls, but at some level there should be some consistency, and this seems like a purely arbitrary thing in its enforcement. I mean, do all mods agree with your statement of "Thread titles aren't supposed to be playful or suspenseful?" And I'm talking about Other and the other more "fun" forums, where "play" is why they exist, in some respects.

LurkerDan

PS And I made the comment about "games" because in the previous post you chose to question my example rather than my argument. I was merely pointing out that is a "game", because I could come up with more examples.
Old 09-20-02, 06:34 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clarity in thread titles is really more of a problem in the more specific forums as opposed to the Other forum. That's why we edit thread titles with elipses and that don't accurately reflect the information in the thread.

I've generally make it a point to post a note in the thread if I changed a thread title (unless the reason is pretty obvious), and I believe Static Cling does this as well. Other has always been a place where the rules are more lax and any title changes are generally a matter of trying to avoid confusion or fights, getting rid of objectionable words, and the occassional moderator/admin joke.

If anyone ever has a problem with a thread title change, they can always email the moderators of that forum and ask what's up.

This is simply a matter of making the forum more useful to the members and I wouldn't worry too much about this being done in the Other forum too often unless people start posting purposely ambiguous thread titles regularly and start ticking off the other members. (Which by the way, is all Static meant when he was talking about "personally disliking" this practice...on somethings, we figure that if it bothers us, it probably bothers a good number of the rest of the members and if it's innocuous enough, we go ahead and make the change.)