Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

dvdtalk spyware?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-02, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dvdtalk spyware?

Every time I visit dvdtalk I pick up a doubleclick cookie ad-aware identifies as spyware. What is the deal with this? I thought dvdtalk took a stance against spyware.
Old 04-09-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That doesn't mean that doubleclick isn't using spyware. You're connecting to their server when loading those ads.

It sucks, but I doubt Geoff is going to cutoff doubleclick ad revenue. I wonder what kind of cookie info they're sending?
Old 04-09-02, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is NOT spyware, it's a cookie.

It only is used so that you do not see the same ad over and over and over again.

Here's our privacy policy which even the double click ads conform to: http://www.dvdtalk.com/privacy.html

- G
Old 04-09-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, you can't take a dump without getting a doubleclick cookie in your browser. Depending on how broad a definition of spyware you have, doubleclick probably doesn't fall under that category. Someone's got to pay the bills, though, and for now, doubleclick is harmless. However, some of their plans for the future do scare me.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 04-19-02 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-09-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by BigDave
That doesn't mean that doubleclick isn't using spyware. You're connecting to their server when loading those ads.

It sucks, but I doubt Geoff is going to cutoff doubleclick ad revenue. I wonder what kind of cookie info they're sending?
All adaware does is identify it as possible spyware. Just like virus scans everything isn't always a virus it is just looks like one.