Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

whats wrong with encouraging people to use the chat room?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-02, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

no big deal to me.. Im not in there much
but Im just curious why my thread encouraging people to use the chat room got locked so quick

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=194826
Old 03-25-02, 09:51 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
There are a couple of considerations here. But the foremost in my mind is that an "official" thread on using it is not needed.

During traditional times of interest, like Friday nights, a thread mentioning that people are congregating there is appropriate. And when you go to the chat room instructions on using it are provided.

As for why it got locked so quickly? Pure luck in timing.
Old 03-25-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by X
There are a couple of considerations here. But the foremost in my mind is that an "official" thread on using it is not needed.

During traditional times of interest, like Friday nights, a thread mentioning that people are congregating there is appropriate. And when you go to the chat room instructions on using it are provided.

As for why it got locked so quickly? Purely luck in timing.
alright.. i was just curious..

so you dont like the word official... and we shouldnt try to encourage people to use the chat forum, except when something special is going on? I peek in there from time to time, and there are normally only a couple people in there talking, and it looks pretty sad.. and considering, I dont think alot of the forum members even know about the chat room.. i figured it was a good idea to start mentioning it more often.. that was the point of bringing up a thread that could be bumped regularly

and as far as instructions going.. yes.. if you use the java client.. the info is there..

but I also mentioned to them, that they could use the real mirc client.. so if they didnt load up the java page, and needed instructions.. I felt it was a good idea to go ahead and list them

as I said.. I dont visit the chat room very often.. but I figure it does serve some purpose.. and just thought I would try and help people find their way there
Old 03-25-02, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally posted by twikoff
as I said.. I dont visit the chat room very often.. but I figure it does serve some purpose.. and just thought I would try and help people find their way there
Me too, and it helped me out twikoff
Old 03-25-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you imagine the post counts of people if they were counted in a real chat room?

When I first came here I thought there was some way to do that and that's how some of these nuts had such high posts.