Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Feedback Forum Frequently Asked Questions

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Feedback Forum Frequently Asked Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-07, 10:59 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was talking to G! when he finished the changes up last night. I now have the quote and edit buttons too; Yay!
Old 01-24-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a question. I was wondering if there was an offical statement on how suspensions work? Like if you get suspended, will you be contacted by someone? Is there an office time table for punishments for the crime? I'm just curious about how this works. I really appreciate your reply. Thank you!
Old 01-24-08, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

Received 699 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
I have a question. I was wondering if there was an offical statement on how suspensions work? Like if you get suspended, will you be contacted by someone? Is there an office time table for punishments for the crime? I'm just curious about how this works. I really appreciate your reply. Thank you!
There is an easy way to find out!

Bandoman is never coming back.
Old 01-25-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The wheels of change move slowly.

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 01-17-12 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-25-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not just about Bando, I was honestly just curious how the process works.
Old 01-25-08, 12:51 PM
Mod Emeritus

.... if you get suspended, will you be contacted by someone? Is there an office time table for punishments for the crime? I'm just curious about how this works. I really appreciate your reply. Thank you!
If you are suspended you will usually be contacted with the reason why and an idea as to the tariff. Such emails are not intended as opening the start of negotiations but are occasionaly regarded along those lines by some "offenders". Occasionally there is a comunications glitch and the email is not issued.
.... is there an office time table for punishments for the crime?
A general suspendable offence usually results in a week off.

However, what often happens after a question of this type has been asked and answered here is that the first time anyone gets a two week or more suspension someone will return here to cry "foul" and question the decision-making power of whoever is deemed to have requested/initiated the suspension.

So, for the avoidance of doubt, moderators and admins may discuss what they regard as a non-standard or a repeat offence and decide on an alternative tariff e.g. sometimes people are suspended from a single forum. Alternatively, when someone is involved who really should know better or who has been pushing things and taking up excessive mod/admin time, the suspension might be for considerably longer.
.... I'm just curious about how this works.
Again, such decisions are often a matter of discussion, anything I've written here is to elucidate is my take on things and not intended to represent an official word or a precise science.

Most importantly, this should not be seen as an invitation to compare and contrast treatment of different members in public. The chances are anyone trying to do so won't have the same facts to hand as those who were given the responsibility of moderating/administering the forums.
.... I really appreciate your reply. Thank you!
I'll probably be suspended for posting this!

Last edited by benedict; 01-25-08 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-25-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

please don't suspend me benedict, thank you very much for your reply. I do appreciate it. please don't suspend me

Thanks!!
Old 02-28-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just read this thread and the FAQ and couldn't find anything regarding my question.

What is the policy of quoting articles from an outside website?

I started the following thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=526230) with a link to the article and my comments on it, only to have the 2nd person posting in the thread to quote the entire article I linked to, making my original post irrelevant.

I know over the Home Theater Forum, they don't allow quoting of an entire article, portions of it are fine. Is that something we can institute here?
Old 02-28-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I much prefer being able to read the entire article in the thread without needing to step out to another site for every news story that's being discussed.
Old 07-23-08, 01:03 PM

I posted a thread about Woody Allen's 3rd set for $39.99 at Amazon.
I suspect that, because I haven't added the DVDTalk affiliate ID (I had no idea it doesn't append automatically, as in the case of other lucrative forums), the thread was withdrawn. At least that's what I can see.

Can I at least get a warm/cold hint?
TY!
Old 07-23-08, 02:07 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
We have been getting spam from representatives of Amazon who keep signing up new accounts so any new member who posts links to Amazon deals will have their posts removed. The same applies to a couple other online stores such as J&R.
Old 07-23-08, 03:33 PM

Oh well. People will have more money left, including me. Maybe I'll buy Berlin Alexanderplatz from DD after all.
I heard that users on bargain sites do not play fair, but this is the first time when I actually found something that substantiates this hypothesis.
Old 08-07-08, 08:57 PM

Please tell me where is the appropriate place to start a discussion about this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/08/sp...hp&oref=slogin
It might be a matter of foreign politics, but it is a valid movie discussion, being mainly about the great Chinese director Zhang Yimou (compared in text with Leni Riefenstahl, because of the concessions he makes to the "official taste").
Old 08-08-08, 03:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

I don't moderate either Politics or Movie Talk but, taking a commonsense approach, anticipate that it depends on the point you make in your post after linking to the article and maybe quoting from a part of it.

If the main thrust of your post is political, then the place to post seems obvious. If it is artistic and discussing movies, then you can post elsewhere.

There may even be the option of posting in International, where we have discussions regarding "Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More".

HTH.
Old 10-03-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to assume that there aren't any issues with my IP address and my new laptop being that I never heard back from the admin I PMd. Personally, I think it's not very nice to ignore a legit PM asking a legit question. I honestly just wanted to know if my new laptop was going to give out a different IP addy and if so, would it affect my account here. I guess the 20 seconds it would have taken to pm me back with a "you're fine" is just too much to ask these days.
Old 10-03-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to assume that there aren't any issues with my IP address and my new laptop being that I never heard back from the admin I PMd. Personally, I think it's not very nice to ignore a legit PM asking a legit question. I honestly just wanted to know if my new laptop was going to give out a different IP addy and if so, would it affect my account here. I guess the 20 seconds it would have taken to pm me back with a "you're fine" is just too much to ask these days.
you're fine. I log in from around the city and country on different devices with no issues.
Old 10-03-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, sweetie. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-19-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Feedback Forum Frequently Asked Questions

I have been asked to post some pictures of a destroyed DVD set I received in the mail. I've read the FAQ, but I can't find the attachment manager button or screen that it refers to. Could someone help?
Old 01-19-11, 12:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
I have been asked to post some pictures of a destroyed DVD set I received in the mail. I've read the FAQ, but I can't find the attachment manager button or screen that it refers to. Could someone help?
I believe that only premium members can attach images to their posts. Your best bet is to host the images at a image hosting site (imageshack.us is a good one) and then link to them using the [img] tags.

Usage:

Code:
[img]image url[/img]
Example:

Old 01-20-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
I believe that only premium members can attach images to their posts. Your best bet is to host the images at a image hosting site (imageshack.us is a good one) and then link to them using the [img] tags.
I tried out imageshack and it seemed to work OK...Thanks!

Someone should probably review the FAQ though as it sounds like things have changed.
Old 01-20-11, 12:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

This thread pretty much comprises the DVDTalk-specific FAQ and the method of posting pics is covered on its first page. If there is a generic vbulletin FAQ to which you are referring please post the link and I'll ask someone from IB if they're in a position to make adjustments.

Before anyone says so, yes, I know that this thread could probably do with an update itself. It's not been the same since Blade ruled the roost!
Old 01-20-11, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the FAQ I referred to:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/faq.php?faq...b3_attachments
Old 04-22-15, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

How do I embed tweets? I copy the code from the Twitter account I want to quote, but a lot of the code is still in the quote.
Old 04-22-15, 08:07 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by the General
How do I embed tweets? I copy the code from the Twitter account I want to quote, but a lot of the code is still in the quote.
I think for now we'll have to link to tweets. The embed code from Twitter does not work.
Old 08-14-15, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

How do view more posts on a single page when I'm logged in? I can only view 25 at a time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.