Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

When Book Talk forum mods come in and close DVD Talk threads...

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-01, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...it's just lame.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=2

So we're not allowed to point out misinformation on the websites. Even jonathan.e posted about the Digital Bits and their information, and he's a mod for the forum in question.

I think some mods are just a little trigger-happy and I can't stand when this forum gets so overprotective, that we're not even able to discuss anything controversial at all. If I wanted that kind of forum, I would join in the ass-kissing at Home Theater F....wait, not allowed to mention names of other DVD sites in a negative manner.

Old 11-08-01, 04:38 PM
Uber Member

I'm not just a Book Talk mod, I'm also an Admin. That's what the Moderator* title means. I also juggle in my spare time.

Um, overreact much?

As I said in the thread, it's fine to dislike or criticize these sites, but having a thread dedicated to criticism about the Digital Bits gives the impression that DVDTalk supports the bashing of this site.

You can call them all the names you like if the subject comes up in other threads, but a dedicated thread is just not going to happen.

And FYI, we have closed threads dedicated to bashing the HTF in the past as well.

Now if you think that's being "trigger happy" or "over protective" all I can say is, I've considered your opinion, and I disagree with you.
Old 11-08-01, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The purpose of the thread was to point out that as recently as like two weeks ago, TDB was saying Shrek had a retail price of $19.95. That's a place where many people visit and get information from. The thread was meant to highlight ALL the misinformation there, not to bash the site...but rather to correct their information and let people know that they are not infallible.

And if you could, please change the thread title to an Adminstrator. It doesn't have the same ring as Book Talk mod, but my sentiments are the same.

The only thing that annoys me even more than the commercial aspect of DVD Talk (which I accept as reality) is the oversensitization to the point where we can't even speak freely about other websites. Amazing, we can bash the studios all we want. Even start threads calling Buena Vista morons in the titles...but cite misinformation and misinformation and misinformation from The Digital Bits, and well you can't do that. Seems strange to me.
Old 11-08-01, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As for mods closing threads that other mods have participated in, this is hardly a unique occurance. That's a good reason why there are should multiple mods per forum, not only to be more efficient but also for their different perspectives.
Old 11-08-01, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Aghama
As for mods closing threads that other mods have participated in, this is hardly a unique occurance. That's a good reason why there are should multiple mods per forum, not only to be more efficient but also for their different perspectives.
Why did you take down your previous post? Did you reconsider your point that it's not lame since he's an adminstrator?

That's not what is being discussed. First of all, it was being allowed in DVD Talk...yes....even the moderators were partaking in it.

But the point of this post, was there was no reason for closing the thread...by a Book Talk mod, by Kenwood, by Bushdog, by Moorehed, by rutger_s, by gkleinman.....by anyone. Have we become so PC that we cannot criticize and point out failings??
Old 11-08-01, 05:06 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by LBPound23
The purpose of the thread was to point out that as recently as like two weeks ago, TDB was saying Shrek had a retail price of $19.95. That's a place where many people visit and get information from. The thread was meant to highlight ALL the misinformation there, not to bash the site...but rather to correct their information and let people know that they are not infallible.
First of all, it's hardly going to be a surprise to anyone that Internet web sites sometimes print up incorrect information. As was also pointed out in your thread, The Bits was not the only site to get the MSRP mixed up with the MAP.

Second, we aren't going to use the DVDTalk forums to create a thread to keep track of the mistakes made over at the Bits. That is just being unnecessarily antagonistic to people Geoff has to do business with in the relatively small online DVDTalk community.

Third, it was pretty obvious that the general mood of the thread was one of disdain and dislike for the Bits. All by itself, I could really care less about that, but again, a thread that just pretty much bashes the Bits is not going to fly.

And if you could, please change the thread title to an Adminstrator. It doesn't have the same ring as Book Talk mod, but my sentiments are the same.
Geoff assigns the titles. Most people have had little trouble with the * designations.

The only thing that annoys me even more than the commercial aspect of DVD Talk (which I accept as reality) is the oversensitization to the point where we can't even speak freely about other websites. Amazing, we can bash the studios all we want. Even start threads calling Buena Vista morons in the titles...but cite misinformation and misinformation and misinformation from The Digital Bits, and well you can't do that. Seems strange to me.
I don't exactly understand why you are annoyed that a commercial site should be trying to turn a profit, but since you say you accept that, fine.

But I will repeat, for the third time now, you can criticize their site whenever you like, as long as it's not a dedicated thread, or not relevant to the thread you make your post in, or break any of the DVDTalk forum rules.

-David
Old 11-08-01, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why did you take down your previous post? Did you reconsider your point that it's not lame since he's an adminstrator?
I was being flippant, and decided it wasn't appropriate.

That's not what is being discussed. First of all, it was being allowed in DVD Talk...yes....even the moderators were partaking in it.
I was simply addressing the single line in your post that Blade hadn't responded to.
Old 11-08-01, 05:20 PM
Uber Member

But the point of this post, was there was no reason for closing the thread...by a Book Talk mod, by Kenwood, by Bushdog, by Moorehed, by rutger_s, by gkleinman.....by anyone. Have we become so PC that we cannot criticize and point out failings??
I should probably emphasize that this type of closing falls under the category of "owner's perogative".

Geoff has, as I said, closed these types of threads in the past. He doesn't think it promotes goodwill in the DVD online community to allow dedicated threads to this kind of stuff. Stray posts are not restricted as they are opinions, but allowing a dedicated thread promotes a different type of atmosphere than random posts do.

Again, you may disagree with this, and that's fine. But it's Geoff's site, so this is ultimately up to him. Personally, I think it's a good policy and I have no worries about enforcing it.

-David
Old 11-08-01, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Blade

First of all, it's hardly going to be a surprise to anyone that Internet web sites sometimes print up incorrect information. As was also pointed out in your thread, The Bits was not the only site to get the MSRP mixed up with the MAP.

Second, we aren't going to use the DVDTalk forums to create a thread to keep track of the mistakes made over at the Bits. That is just being unnecessarily antagonistic to people Geoff has to do business with in the relatively small online DVDTalk community.

Third, it was pretty obvious that the general mood of the thread was one of disdain and dislike for the Bits. All by itself, I could really care less about that, but again, a thread that just pretty much bashes the Bits is not going to fly.

Geoff assigns the titles. Most people have had little trouble with the * designations.

I don't exactly understand why you are annoyed that a commercial site should be trying to turn a profit, but since you say you accept that, fine.

But I will repeat, for the third time now, you can criticize their site whenever you like, as long as it's not a dedicated thread, or not relevant to the thread you make your post in, or break any of the DVDTalk forum rules.

-David
I just meant to change the thread title cause I mistakenly took you for a Book Talk-only mod.

I am not annoyed that a commercial site is trying to turn a profit. I'm annoyed that DVD Talk has to be a commercial site, but obviously that is how it was created, and I accept that point in my silent way. Of course I want DVD Talk to be financially successful, I just feel that sometimes the commercial aspect takes away from things - that's about the only place HTF has us beat. And I'd rather deal with affiliate links than excessive butt-kissing.

I don't really care that the thread is closed any more. I just can't stand when some threads are closed and that's it - no final say....it's closed because one person felt it should be.

And I will take you up on that last offer. BTW, is every other site wrong or are The Sixth Sense and Tombstone Vista NOT coming out on January 8 as the Digital Bits reported?
Old 11-08-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh and just to clarify by bashing the Bits I'm inviting them to raise their standards and do a better job. It's as if Bill Hunt is silently asking me to help him help me!
Old 11-08-01, 06:52 PM
Uber Member

I don't really care that the thread is closed any more. I just can't stand when some threads are closed and that's it - no final say....it's closed because one person felt it should be.
Inigo Montoya: Who are you?
Westley: No one of consequence.
Inigo Montoya: I must know...
Westley: Get used to disappointment.
Inigo Montoya: 'kay.

Sorry, but that's our job. We do our best to be as liberal as possible, and remain open to criticism, but someone's always going to be disappointed.

-David
Old 11-08-01, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Shall we have a referendum before we close a thread from now on? Sorry to be sarcastic but you seem to be somewhat oblivious as to what moderators do.

Blade did the right thing here. I am only sorry that the thread stayed open as long as it did.
Old 11-08-01, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JustinS

Shall we have a referendum before we close a thread from now on? Sorry to be sarcastic but you seem to be somewhat oblivious as to what moderators do.

Blade did the right thing here. I am only sorry that the thread stayed open as long as it did.
Hey, you registered a month after me, newbie!
Old 11-08-01, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Hey, you registered a month after me, newbie!