Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

about locked threads

Old 11-08-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
about locked threads

whenever a thread gets locked and someone asks why the mods say "do this over email"
I'll agree with that, but what the mods need to post when they lock a thread so that the person asking why knows who to email.
am I the only one who thinks that's a good idea?

recent example
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=157185
Old 11-08-01, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with you. I've had threads closed in the past, and I've sent the email to all the mods asking about it. The only response I ever got was from a mod who didn't close it and gave a vague response as to why it may have been closed. I never heard from the mod who actually closed it and never found out why it was closed.
Old 11-08-01, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

randyc resists the temptation to anonymously lock this thread

It's a good point and one we have been discussing in mod school. Sometimes it's hard to take the time to do this, and in the past there has been a reason a mod didn't.

If a mod feels the post was really horrific, it will be deleted from that forum. If locking it is good enough, then it will be locked, but replying to the thread also brings it to the very top. Sometimes we want threads to sink and go away for whatever reason. So that was a motivation to not add a post.

In the future, we will *try* to remember to add something like

[mod note: locking due to this thread being offensive to forum members, randyc]

and then people will know why, and who.
Old 11-08-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the cited case was just a matter of the mod taking for granted that people would know why the thread was closed. namja's "point 1" should be pretty well known by now.
Old 11-08-01, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Aghama
I think the cited case was just a matter of the mod taking for granted that people would know why the thread was closed. namja's "point 1" should be pretty well known by now.
I agree with this, sometimes it has seemed obvious to me why a thread is closed, but I have learned that it's not obvious to everyone.
Old 11-08-01, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with RandyC, no reason to bump a bad thread up, but maybe the mods could edit the original post to put why the thread was locked...I don't think that would bump it up and that would also tell people who and why the thread was locked.
Old 11-08-01, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
an edit is fine, but I think something should be there
although bumping a bad thread can also be a way of showing people what will get locked as people will look to see why, and then go "oh, I won't try that"
Old 11-09-01, 05:51 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by randyc
I agree with this, sometimes it has seemed obvious to me why a thread is closed, but I have learned that it's not obvious to everyone.
In the past, I had thought that locking a thread without posting a reason was sending a big message to the members = THAT IT SHOULD BE OBVIOUS.

But, as randyc put it above, it's not obvious to everyone ...