Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

How do Affiliate Links work exactly?

Old 08-28-01, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How do Affiliate Links work exactly?

I recently purchased about $400 in DVDs from Deep Discount thru DVDTalk's affiliate link.

How exactly does this help you guys? Are you given a % or a standard fee?

Just wondering, as I'm considering buying ALL my DVDS online from now on, as I'm beginning to hate Best Buy
Old 08-30-01, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been wondering why the DDD affiliate link wasn't available on the top of each page, whereas others such as "BestBuy" are.
Old 08-30-01, 01:06 AM
Uber Member

Geoff's the one who sets this part of the site up and the moderators really don't have any control over it. We're volunteers, so we're kept away from the money side of the business.

But as I understand it, if you use DVDTalk's links to make purchases, DVDTalk gets a percent of the sale. So the more you buy, the more we benefit.

Startide,

I can't answer your question, but I would speculate that either he has some of the less popular links set to randomly switch amongst themselves while the more popular ones are always present, or certain forums are more interested in certain stores.
Old 08-30-01, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Blade
Geoff's the one who sets this part of the site up and the moderators really don't have any control over it. We're volunteers, so we're kept away from the money side of the business.

But as I understand it, if you use DVDTalk's links to make purchases, DVDTalk gets a percent of the sale. So the more you buy, the more we benefit.

Startide,

I can't answer your question, but I would speculate that either he has some of the less popular links set to randomly switch amongst themselves while the more popular ones are always present, or certain forums are more interested in certain stores.

Blade, thanks! I definately don't mind supporting DVDTalk anyway possible, as I spend waaaaay too much time here

I think what Startide was asking, is at the very top of each page, t here is a list of stores you can buy from(they never change) in order to get to DDD you have to actually open the store menu up. It's not a big deal, but I noticed that myself the other day.
Old 08-30-01, 02:50 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Thunderball

I think what Startide was asking, is at the very top of each page, t here is a list of stores you can buy from(they never change) in order to get to DDD you have to actually open the store menu up. It's not a big deal, but I noticed that myself the other day.
That sounds like a great idea for a new thread!

I know there's a limited amount of space up there, and I'm not sure what criteria Geoff uses to pick the stores, but if you ask him to add it up there, I would think he would do unless the ones already up there make him more money.

But with all the different aspects of the site he has to keep track of, it's more likely that it hasn't changed because the need to do so hasn't come up on his radar.

-David