Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or is the OF getting REALLY female friendly?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-01, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a little TOO friendly, if you get my drift. It is bordering on skeevy....
Witness:
Who wants to see cool kitten and happycamper mud wrestle?
Let's all say hello to tboogie (she's a girl)
So... who's your SIGNIFICANT OTTER?

Now everyone likes attention AND it is a hot summer, but still....
The OF is NOT a construction site....is it??
mini
Old 08-07-01, 06:51 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
:catcall: Hey Mini! Woo Hoo! /:catcall:

Old 08-07-01, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree...it seems a little too patronizing.
Old 08-07-01, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
As soon as someone announces her gender on the Other Forum, I always cringe, knowing what's soon to follow... Unfortunately, it's like that on most of the bulletin boards I read.
Old 08-07-01, 10:18 PM
Banned

What do you expect from a place with 100 guys and 3 women? It has definately gone overboard though. Not sure what could be done though.
Old 08-07-01, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the Otter Farm but some people should be taking cold showers before posting.

I'm all for having fun but I do feel bad for the ladies on here. Things have gotten weird(er) in there lately. Hopefully one of them jumps the fence, reads this and spreads the word. I'd hate to see more regulations and problems in there.
Old 08-08-01, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Alyoshka
I agree...it seems a little too patronizing.

Mini, I asked the girls about the mudwrestling thread, they wanted it left open.

As for the tboogie thread that was based on her desire to be showered with attention.

Feel free to be skeeved out if you want to, but this is merely the wishes of these female posters.

Thanks for your comments, as always.
Old 08-08-01, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nothing new for the Otter Farm. When suziq999 posted a pic last year, DVDTalk almost had a meltdown from everyone trying to see it.

Well, everyone but me.
Old 08-08-01, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Bushdog

Mini, I asked the girls about the mudwrestling thread, they wanted it left open.

As for the tboogie thread that was based on her desire to be showered with attention.

Feel free to be skeeved out if you want to, but this is merely the wishes of these female posters.

Thanks for your comments, as always.

I personally have heard from some females, and know that Geoff has too, about the nature of many of the threads. I wasn't specifically talking about your threads Bushdog (I wasn't talking about you at all)...thanks for the nice eyes....
Old 08-08-01, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well i've started a few of the welcome threads because the girls have asked for them. I think this is good so all the begging/oggling can be kept in one thread and anyone who doesn't wanna see it doesnt have to read the thread. Like Bushdog said, i dont think any of the girls who've gotten the attention have complained, if they complain in one of my threads i'll delete it for em. Everyone is just having fun, isn't that what the Farm is for?
Old 08-08-01, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Um... I thought it was merely harmless fun. I would think that if one of the girls doesn't welcome the attention she simply wouldn't respond. I mean, guys are just being guys.
Old 08-08-01, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
See, we men just can't win. If we're not really friendly towards the ladies, they complain. If we become REALLY female friendly, they still complain.

Like cool kitten posted, it's just guys being guys. Just like when women complain, that's women just being women.

hehehe
Old 08-08-01, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by namja
Just like when women complain, that's women just being women.
Old 08-08-01, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
. . . it's just guys being guys. Just like when women complain, that's women just being women.

hehehe
[<B>Keyser high-fives Namja.... then ducks quicky</b>]

<I>Woooooosh!</I>

"Who threw that shoe at me!?!?!?!"

-k

BTW Mini, I started the "sig otter" thread because of Cool Kitten kickin' GuessWho to the curb in their break-up... It was just a funny play on words that I used in a reply. It seeme d funny enough to deserve its' own thread. That's all. Hell, I find all this much more damn_interesting than that soap opera "My boss got a flat and called me part 52"
###
Old 08-08-01, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Keyser Soze
BTW Mini, I started the "sig otter" thread because of Cool Kitten kickin' GuessWho to the curb in their break-up... It was just a funny play on words that I used in a reply. It seeme d funny enough to deserve its' own thread. That's all. Hell, I find all this much more damn_interesting than that soap opera "My boss got a flat and called me part 52"
###
Keyser, I didn't find it offensive then and I don't now. I would've let you know if I have. As I said, I look at all this as a harmless diversion from everyday life. I think so does everybody else who participates.
Old 08-08-01, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cool kitten

Keyser, I didn't find it offensive then and I don't now. I would've let you know if I have. . . .

[Keyser scratches cool kittens name of the list of possible 'shoe throwers']

-k
###
Old 08-08-01, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Although I certainly don't mean to preach about feminism...but there is a point where tired excuses of "Boys just being boys" gets to be not only a little trite, but insulting. I guess I'm just not one of the boys because I find some of the stuff, not necessarily all the welcome threads, truly offensive to me. Especially when I have to be lumped into a category with the "boys".

Sometimes people do get called on their behavior, bravo! There are plenty of times that they truly should...unfortunately I typically only see people called for this when they are already on the *hit list.

Ebb and flow...ebb and flow. Sometimes I guess the atmosphere is more sexually charged than other times. I'm not really suggesting that anything be done about it because it is a difficult thing to police. Encouraging this behavior by either participating or by passing off excuses is not something I'll be doing.

Just to reiterate...I am not talking about this sig other thread or let's welcome _____. I'm speaking of a larger, more philosophical problem that I've seen around in the forum. It is more about what some people choose to post in these sorts of threads, or some other threads that I've seen in the past.
Old 08-08-01, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cool kitten

As I said, I look at all this as a harmless diversion from everyday life. I think so does everybody else who participates.
Cool Kitten,
Some do, some don't. You don't speak for everyone. You do not speak for me.
Hey, I have been here longer than you have. I have sensed a trend. Bushy and Keyser know of something VERY unfortunate that had me almost leave the farm about a week ago.
It's fine for you to say "boys will be boys' and add the , but again, I have noticed a trend. It is quickly moving past "fun".

namja, we both know that there is a BIG diff between what has gone on lately and the usual.

Maybe some girls on the board need the additional male attention. I don't and it makes it harder for me to post and be taken seriously (well, as seriously as I EVER want to be taken). Whatever. The threads mentioned are just a symptom of a whole trend. Maybe not a new one, but one that is escalating fast.

Just my (skeeved out) .02
mini

Last edited by minifigg; 08-08-01 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-08-01, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think she was just saying that the people who are posting in these threads dont seem to care and are taking it all as a joke. I didn't know this was upsetting a lot of you. does anyone mind giving a couple of specific examples so I know what to avoid.

I have always seen the whole Jules pimpin/slut thing and assumed most people didn't mind those types of posts if they were kept inside threads of a fun nature
Old 08-08-01, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

mini, CK, anyone else -- make your boundaries clear and make sure they are respected. If they are not respected, come to a mod, we'll deal with it in a decisive way.

I think the forum can be all things to all people, or darned close to it.
Old 08-09-01, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I apologize if this post sounds like a "big excuse" to some. Since many have serious issues with the current evolution in the Other Forum, here's my serious reply:

The Other Forum has slowly evolved into a more female friendly forum. It is in our--the guys'--nature to keep pushing the boundaries. And because of our limited number of brain cells, we often think that if one thing's okay with one woman, it'll be okay for all women.

As matta and MasterofDVD pointed out, when you got 100 horny guys and 3 women on the forum ... sometimes things happen.

Do what Bushdog suggested above. Let us know what you will tolerate and what you will not. We had a similar situation with personal attacks not too long ago. Some users have "relationships" and did not mind (actually enjoyed) being called idiots from time to time. Of course, that spilled over to some users calling everyone idiots from time to time, and many got offended and we had to really cut out name callings. Hopefully things will tone down so that we won't need to take administrative actions. We shall see.

<hr>

<small><b>Personal note:</b> Yes, I like to joke about everything. Yes, I do find everything funny. Yes, I think everything can be solved with laughters. Yes, I think that if people can't laugh at everything, then they are way too serious. Yes, I would laugh at a funeral -> I've actually cracked jokes and laughed at one funeral.

But ... yes, I am indeed sorry if someone's offended by what I post. And ... if you believe that, then yes, I'm laughing at you for being so gullible.</small>
Old 08-09-01, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some users have "relationships" and did not mind (actually enjoyed) being called idiots from time to time
I call Bushdog a asshead, but I can assure you...
I don't have <B> 'relationships'</B> with him!

-k
###
Old 08-09-01, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by minifigg
Bushy and Keyser know of something VERY unfortunate that had me almost leave the farm about a week ago. . .

Just my (skeeved out) .02
mini
Mini,

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about here, and I didn't know that it upset you that much. I want to email you something (instead of posting it for THE WORLD), but you don't have a addy in your profile. Please email me, so I can.

Sidenote: If the thing your talking about a week ago is the same as what I'm thinking (starts with an "M")... I feel responsible for your reaction, and almost leaving the otter farm. I don't want that, and I appologize. I'm not being funny here, this is as serious as I get. I meant no harm.

Robert
###
Old 08-09-01, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Keyser Soze

I call Bushdog a asshead, but I can assure you...
I don't have <B> 'relationships'</B> with him!
or so you say!
Old 08-10-01, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It's just a message board. Ebb and flow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.