Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Why are you able to bump your own thread?

Old 07-13-01, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why are you able to bump your own thread?

I find this to be very annoying & unprofessional. Home Theater Forum frowns upon this practice! I'd like to know why it is accepted here at DVD Talk?

Thank You,

Jean Paul
Old 07-13-01, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here we try to trust people to use self control. If someone bumps a thread once or twice over a couple of days that is fine. If instead someone seems to want to bump their thread every time it falls 3 or 4 spots that is an annoyance and selfish. If you notice someone doing something like that, please click on the 'report this post to a moderator' link on the lower right hand side of every post.
Old 07-13-01, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I agree with Bushy that bumping isn't a big deal as long as it's not excessive (though I feel that the implication that the mods/admins at the HTF don't "trust" their users is unfair), but while we're mentioning HTF rules we'd like to see filter to DVD Talk...

There are an awful lot of topics that basically just say "Hey! I just got ________ early!" These useless topics, started for the sole purpose of bragging and nothing else, obviously cannot possibly lead to any sort of real discussion. If a user gets a disc early and wants to write a review, there's always that handy Reviews forum, but to post in Bargains or Talk and say nothing but "I got _____ early!" seems to have absolutely no point. You'd think that since no one cares if another user got a disc early that these wouldn't happen often, but they're popping up more and more frequently.

I'm also not a fan of posts that announce stores that are violating street date. I started a topic about that in Forum Feedback the other day at http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=123372 , but apparently no one cares but me.
Old 07-13-01, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the quick reply, Bushdog.

I don't mind seeing 1 bump per day, but constantly bumping your own thread up to 10 consecutive times without anyone even replying to it. Now that's ridiculous!

Jean Paul
Old 07-13-01, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ctyner
I agree with Bushy that bumping isn't a big deal as long as it's not excessive (though I feel that the implication that the mods/admins at the HTF don't "trust" their users is unfair), but while we're mentioning HTF rules we'd like to see filter to DVD Talk...
I wasn't implying anything. I was just stating what our policy is. You jumped to the conclusion that I was making some slight towards HTF, and you didn't even have your jump to conclusions mat out.
Old 07-13-01, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree..it can be rather pathetic bumping your own thread. I once in a blue moon bump my own thread because I notice it still has life and the topic was very good discussing. Sometimes also a thread that should have been a good discussion, get's drowned by lots of fresh new threads that have no sort of discussion and it just takes up space. I am not saying ALL threads are not worthy, but many are pointless.

With that said, I always bump all threads in dvdtalk forum that has 0 replies. I usually find all 0 reply threads up to page 4. I feel bad for these members because most are newbies and most are asking a really good question that others are interested (myself too) and I know it can be answered. I've done it before, bump many 0 reply threads and WHAM, they get answered!

I hope this kind of activity is allowed because it's helpful on what I am doing, rather the member who has a 0 thread thread without answer, has to go elsewhere on the net, or repost a thread thus, just using wasted space because his previous thread could have gotten answers, but it was the wrong time when posting and when members were not around, or a time when lots of fresh new threads were posted at the same time that killed a thread that had chemistry.

Hope I am making sense.
Old 07-13-01, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by J.P.V.
Thanks for the quick reply, Bushdog.

I don't mind seeing 1 bump per day, but constantly bumping your own thread up to 10 consecutive times without anyone even replying to it. Now that's ridiculous!

Jean Paul
Amen! I agree.
Old 07-13-01, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

If no slight was intended, Bushdog, then I apologize. One of the nasty things about text-based discussions is that it's so easy to misinterpret the tone of posts, which I apparently did with the first sentence of your first post in this thread.
Old 07-13-01, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the nasty things about text-based discussions is that it's so easy to misinterpret the tone of posts,
True true..
Old 07-14-01, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

topics that basically just say "Hey! I just got ________ early!" These useless topics, started for the sole purpose of bragging and nothing else, obviously cannot possibly lead to any sort of real discussion.
I disagree. I have never started one of these but if a member gets a disc early that Im thinking about buying I can find out opinions that much sooner. The complaints about the Close Encounter packaging springs to mind. Nobody knew how bad it was until they started arriving.

But I always seem to come down on the side of less restrictions, more info.
Old 07-14-01, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

joltaddict: Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of information , and I'm certainly not saying that comments on a DVD should be withheld until the street date has come and gone. If someone gets a disc early and wants to make a specific comment on the disc, I'm cool with that. What I'm quibbling about are those threads that have titles like "I just got 'Masters of the Universe' early on DVD!", with the first post saying something like "I just got 'Masters of the Universe' early on DVD! Did anyone else get theirs yet?" and <i>nothing</i> else. There <i>is</i> no information in a topic like that, and I suppose the only discussion that could arise would be if someone started a q&a session or something equally ridiculous. Those sorts of posts are useless...just as stupid as if I went to the reviews forum and started a topic where the first post said "I saw 'Monkeybone'." and said nothing else. There's no information. There's no substance. It's just useless bragging, serving no purpose, offering no information, and not really offering any room for discussion.
Old 07-14-01, 02:09 AM

Maybe it's just me but I'm all for DVDTalk being as different from HTF as possible. If this place ever turns into a HTF-clone I'll be long gone.
Old 07-14-01, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by codefree
Maybe it's just me but I'm all for DVDTalk being as different from HTF as possible. If this place ever turns into a HTF-clone I'll be long gone.
Count me in.

I don't want to sound arrogant, but who cares about Home Theater.
Old 07-14-01, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Pestilence: There are quite a few people who read both forums, myself included. I find DVD Talk to be a looser, more fun, but less informative resource, whereas the HTF is more serious and technical. Let's not turn this thread into an anti-HTF discussion, though.

There's no point in DVD Talk becoming an HTF clone, but I <i>do</i> think that each of those forums could improve by adopting a couple of aspects from the other.
Old 07-14-01, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only times I can see where bumping your thread would be acceptable:

1)Exchange Forum-You need to keep your thread on page 1 if possible.

2)No one replies and your thread is now off the first 2 pages.

3)A really good thread that had a really g reat discussion you'd like to continue.
Old 12-22-15, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Why are you able to bump your own thread?

I agree with Thunderball
Old 12-23-15, 07:41 AM
Admin-Thanos

I'm going to merge this thread with THIS THREAD and really try to confuse the crap out of you.
Old 12-23-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Several dinosaurs in this thread.
Old 12-23-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Threads like this are why I like seeing old ones bumped here and there. I was reading along, wondering where this was happening, because I hadn't seen a problem. Then I saw the post that said they were bumping all unreplied threads because it's usually new users, which made me check the date. It's had to remember a time when there were so many people posting that there was a problem with threads falling off of the front page before they even had one reply.
Old 01-02-16, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Several dinosaurs in this thread.
Reeearrrrrrrghhhhh! I'm gonna eat yah!

Oh crap. A comet.
Old 01-02-16, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does that mean you're leaving? Just kidding; you're all right, even if you support that incendiary bozo Trump.
Old 01-04-16, 05:31 PM
Banned

Jesus. Some of you fucks are old pieces of shit if you were here in 2001. When this thread was made I was.... just turning 15 years old a few days before..
Old 01-04-16, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pfft, I hadn't even been born yet. I joined in utero.
Old 01-06-16, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Jesus. Some of you fucks are old pieces of shit if you were here in 2001. When this thread was made I was.... just turning 15 years old a few days before..
You were a baby slitherin'. Or a slitherin' baby?
Old 01-06-16, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This thread reminded me of another thread I need to bump.