Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Add a "Number of DVDs Owned" field to the profile

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Add a "Number of DVDs Owned" field to the profile

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-01, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps an idea to get rid of/cut down on the "how many DVDs do you have" threads. Perhaps add a field to the "profile" page where you can enter the # of DVDs that you have. Users will be able to update this, of course. You could compile a lot of interesting statistics on this as well.

Just a thought...

(of course, you would have to decide whether to count discs or movies.. )
Old 06-01-01, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could also just put the number under the biography section of your profile if you felt it necessary, or for that matter put a link in your signature to your collection online. I did not even notice it was a big issue here or there were alot of posts where people wanted to know how many DVDs someone else owns.

J
Old 06-01-01, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be more useful to have a toggleable bit set for the status "I AM PADDING". Then those users who have selected the "IGNORE POSTS BY PADDERS" option can read the threads in peace. The others who want to read all the posts, including the "Just Padding" posts can also do so.

This would make the ignore message function even more powerful and versatile as there would be different types of messages that could be ignored, not just ignoring messages by user, but rather, by a whole class of messages.
Old 06-02-01, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
interesting idea although you could put them in your sig. lol on your thought Startide .

Old 06-03-01, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a good idea - but I no longer count the DVDs I have. For a while I was religious in my entering of DVDs into DVDProfiler, but it just became too time consuming, so I just gave up. There's just no reason to track them anymore other than to show off.
Old 06-04-01, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Blake
It's a good idea - but I no longer count the DVDs I have.
I wish I had that problem; I just counted mine on the shelf--8.

I guess I could still use a field like that. Maybe if it was a selectable thing 1-10, 11-25, 26-50, 51-100, 101-250, etc?
Old 06-04-01, 11:05 AM
Banned

It would only encourage Jack to buy more DVD's, then Geoff would have to crack down on "DVD Padding"
Old 06-04-01, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Alyoshka

I guess I could still use a field like that. Maybe if it was a selectable thing 1-10, 11-25, 26-50, 51-100, 101-250, etc?
See...that's what happens when you spend so much time on the Otter Farm. I bet there's other people from Other with less than 8, maybe 0. It'd be interesting to see.
Old 06-05-01, 12:46 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this is an excellent idea, Snowball. I know that personally, I am curious how many DVDs our fanatics on this board have. I'ts something pretty interesting to look at, and especially watch grow over time. I'm not so desperate to know that I will click on member's DVD Trackers to find out, but it would be a nice little touch if the info was readily available right in front of me.
Old 06-05-01, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Please don't!
Old 06-05-01, 10:41 AM
Retired

I see no problem with it. Maybe it will encourage more people to buy dvds and get more people to use the DVD links and make Geoff some money to help keep the site afloat.
Old 06-05-01, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by joshhinkle
I see no problem with it. Maybe it will encourage more people to buy dvds and get more people to use the DVD links and make Geoff some money to help keep the site afloat.
I think most of us addicts need something to discourage us from buying more DVDs.

----

Put me down as neutral on this suggestion. I don't see a problem with listing how many DVDs each person has, but I also don't really care how many DVDs everyone has. I think it would be more of a showoff feature than anything else.

BTW, I've got 667!
Old 06-05-01, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't care for such a feature, personally. But I think it would help to integrate this more as a DVD site, which is the main purpose of it (last time I checked the url, anyway).
Old 06-11-01, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What ??? I don't get any credit around here ??? http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=115451

It is just ONE thread (instead of the many threads I used to see in the past).

Well, maybe members should put in their profile ... a link to a DVD tracking site ...
If you have enough DVDs to be worried about counting them ... then why not use a tracking site ??? ...

I would love for somehow the information I have gathered to be integrated into the site ... where people can update their own information (that we save me a lot of work) ...

I understand classicman2's sentiment. Yes, Bushdog ... this is a DVD site ... but that doesn't mean we all have to be concerned with how many DVDs each of us has. IIG ... well, I guess looking at a tracking site of a member is a little work ...

(I think of this issue as similar to the post count ... which is now "hidden" but still available ... if I want to see how many posts someone has ... I can check ... however, I am glad that this information is no longer blatantly out in the open ... as I am sure some would feel if DVD totals were added within the user name box.)

I agree with Master J's remarks ... as now I see they are similar to what I have posted.
Old 06-11-01, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IMO, sounds like a pretty lame idea. Nobody looks at the profile pages anyway, on the whole, and it's just as much effort to click on someone's profile as it is to click on a DVDTracker list. Besides, if you're so insecure that you feel the need to brag about the size of your collection, there's nothing to stop you putting a line in your sig saying how many you've got.
Old 06-11-01, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim
Besides, if you're so insecure that you feel the need to brag about the size of your collection, there's nothing to stop you putting a line in your sig saying how many you've got.
Old 06-11-01, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bushdog
Originally posted by LightTrinity
. . .Yes, Bushdog ... this is a DVD site ... but that doesn't mean we all have to be concerned with how many DVDs each of us has. . . .
I couldn't agree more. I couldn't care less how many DVD's someone owns. Plus, I am sure there would be innumerable liars in the game of one-upmanship. That said, I think it is a feature that would help to focus on DVD owners, if that is the target demographic for Geoff. Taking a different approach, I think it is a good marketing tool.
Good points ... I hadn't thought about the marketing of it ...

People not being honest about their totals would be stupid. Hey, if someone wants to lie and say they have 2,000 DVDs ... I really don't care. I know how many I have ... and that is really all that I can know for sure ... and all that I want to know.

I just started my thread to try to crack down on the "problem" ... but ... if my thread isn't the solution ... then I guess I should be open to other ideas/suggestions ...

I hope Geoff comes up with something
Old 06-11-01, 11:27 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Bushdog

...game of one-upmanship....Taking a different approach, I think it is a good marketing tool.
This is what I was getting at above. Not everyone will lie in this "game of one-upmanship," some will actually buy more dvds to catch up to other members. Some of these will use the dvd talk affiliate links and make Geoff some money. I don't really see what the objection is. I could care less how many dvd's someone has, but it is pretty easy to ignore a field under the users name. I never look at anything but their name anyway. So what's the big deal? If you're not interested in them, simply don't look at them. They will be there for those who are interested, and it may make Geoff some extra money at the same time.
Old 06-14-01, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Alyoshka

See...that's what happens when you spend so much time on the Otter Farm. I bet there's other people from Other with less than 8, maybe 0. It'd be interesting to see.
Not me
Old 06-21-01, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by LBPound23
If you're gonna add a "Number of DVDs Owned" field, you might as well add a "Financial Status", "Social Status", "Sexual Preference", and "Penis Size"....
Hi LBPound23, was wondering when/if you would make a post here. While I agree with you that a "field" does not really seem necessary, let's not forget that this IS a DVD forum.
So things DVD related ARE appropriate, while the things you mentioned really have NO connection.
Otherwise, you make a good point.

I think either a separate DVDTalk page where people can update/track their own totals (but not taking the place of sites like DVDTracker/DVDProfiler/etc.) would be helpful.
While I do my best to keep the current thread updated that I have created, it is a lot of work (with little reward/recognition as amplified by the creationg of THIS thread).

Geoff I know you are VERY busy ... and catching up on things ... but could some solution be created ???

Thanks in advance
Old 06-21-01, 10:43 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by LightTrinity
....(with little reward/recognition as amplified by the creationg of THIS thread).
Well regardless of the outcome of this thread, I think that post you created is an amazing piece of work. Thanks for creating it and for maintaining it. Let me know if you ever need some moderator attention and I'll be glad to help you out.