Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Er... what's the point of the Review Forum if...

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Er... what's the point of the Review Forum if...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-01, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perfect test case: Two requests for reviews of the <i>Pi</i> DVD in two days. <a href="http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=105040">Here</a> is the thread started today in the main forum with 22 replies... and <a href="http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=104959">here</a> is the thread started yesterday in the Reviews Forum with 7 replies.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not lobbying for forum integration to irrigate the more specific topics with more general traffic. Rather, I'm just wondering why the first thread has survived so long in the main forum... no, I didn't email a mod because I thought this would <i>obviously</i> get booted to Reviews immediately, but I was surprised to (still) find it in the main forum a minute ago.

- David Stein
Old 05-01-01, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, David, I would think that both of those threads belong in the All About Movies forum because they are asking specifically for reviews of the film, not the DVD quality.
Old 05-01-01, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
I don't think DVDer, who does a spectacular job keeping threads in their proper forums, is around at the moment. At least, no posts in the past day.
Old 05-01-01, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's too bad. Hopefully she wanders back soon, because I agree, she really does a great job with the forum.

I understand <b>gkleinman</b> gave many of the mods uber-mod status in order to prevent this sort of thing. So while the primary moderators for the forum have the main responsibility of keeping it in check, others that wander through can take care of threads obviously in need of moderator intervention, like this one.

But I do wonder if the remaining mods are becoming too thinly stretched.

- David Stein
Old 05-02-01, 02:09 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i think the reviews forum can be absorbed into the other forums no worries

i never go there.

Traffic in ALl the Movies isn't very high at the moment
Old 05-02-01, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I check the Reviews forum everyday, but have noticed that for a long time now, the Reviews cover both the DVD and the movie... there are people asking for both over in that forum. It's tough to delineate specifically which discussions pertain to the DVD or to the movie and allocate them to different forums; there's just too much overlap. Unless there's a better way...
Old 05-05-01, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry for the delay in replying to this topic--I didn't have much time to visit the forum this week (my last full week of school before graduation, so a lot was going on). I agree that a lot of topics posted in the "Talk" forum are similar to requests that are made and belong in the "Reviews" forum, and will keep an eye out for them so they can be taken care of promptly.

--Heather
Old 05-05-01, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVDer
Sorry for the delay in replying to this topic--I didn't have much time to visit the forum this week (my last full week of school before graduation, so a lot was going on). I agree that a lot of topics posted in the "Talk" forum are similar to requests that are made and belong in the "Reviews" forum, and will keep an eye out for them so they can be taken care of promptly.
No, this wasn't a criticism of you, <b>Heather</b> - you do a consistently great job.

But it does seem counterproductive to have two forums for reviews when you get the most responses by posting in <i>neither</i> of them, but rather in the main forum.

I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea to change "DVD Talk Forum" to "DVD News and Discussion," and merge "DVD Reviews" with "All About Movies." I was slightly surprised when "Movies^3" was split off from "DVD Reviews," and now I think we're seeing a reason why this split doesn't necessarily work... splitting traffic between the two forums reduces it to the point where posting there doesn't make a whole lot of sense any more.

- David Stein
Old 05-05-01, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

the moderator left mad. so now poor heather has the weight of the second largest fourm largely on her shoulders.
Old 05-06-01, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by conkie
the moderator left mad. so now poor heather has the weight of the second largest fourm largely on her shoulders.
Well, uh, apparently, by making some mods uber-mods, Heather's responsibilities are also borne by others who happen to wander through the main forum when trouble arises. The <i>effect</i> of this - whether it spreads mod power more thinly over the forums, and whether it actually <i>does</i> alleviate heavy responsibility - is one I will not analyze, in deference to <b>gkleinman</b>'s discretion.

- David Stein