Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Is "WTF" really necessary in subject lines?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Is "WTF" really necessary in subject lines?

Old 04-25-01, 04:17 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realize asking makes me sound like the world's only 28-year-old codger, but is "What the F***" (WTF) really something we need to envoke in subject lines?
Old 04-25-01, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you suggest for a suitable replacement, grampa?
Old 04-25-01, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by renaldow
There's a simple solution. Just don't use it, son! Learn to get your point across without the vulgarity.
Old 04-25-01, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since you asked, as an example, in this thread: WTF? Fugitive @ Amazon, I would have said something like "Question about Fugitive @ Amazon" or "Amazon raising prices of already placed orders for Fugitgive SE?!?" rather than using WTF.

Another example: WTF........What is the Price of Rocky SE???. That poster could have easily left the WTF off and simply titled his post "What is the Price of Rocky SE???".

I just did a search of all forums, and found 61 threads (not counting this one) with WTF in the subject. One of the threads that came up was titled simply "WTF?!?". Granted that was an Other post, but still. I don't think it belongs in any thread titles.

(BTW: the 2 examples I posted were both posted today, and the "WTF?!?" thread was posted about 3 weeks ago. It seems the problem has been getting bigger lately.)
Old 04-25-01, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It amazes me that people find time to worry about this sort of thing.
Old 04-25-01, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For what it's worth, I agree with noelcross in this one. It just really isn't appropriate in topic lines, just as smiley faces and other HTML is not appropriate in topic lines.
Old 04-25-01, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
DVD Talk has a no profanity policy (see Legal Info - this link can be found at the bottom of every page). Whether it's abbreviated or used with symbols, it's still profanity. See this thread that Geoff posted in the Other Forum.

If the problem persists, please notify the appropriate moderator(s).
Old 04-25-01, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whats wrong with "What the Fart"?
Old 04-25-01, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BFD
Old 04-25-01, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you can't find anything more original to say than WTF.....

I usually avoid these topics because the message is going to be as trite as the thread title!
Old 04-25-01, 09:02 PM

I agree and almost posted about this myself earlier today. I would think the WTF? phrase would only be acceptable in threads asking why Lucas hasn't released Star Wars yet.
Old 04-25-01, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Drink 'Til She's Cute
It amazes me that the other people find time to worry about the fact that people worry about this sort of thing.
Old 04-25-01, 09:40 PM
Retired

I have no problem with it, but we have to have these kind of rules because we have to many anal, thin skinned, easily offended members.
Old 04-25-01, 09:40 PM
Banned

The whole point of WTF, SMB (and DMY ) etc is that you're not swearing, but can still express the sentiment. I fell it should be allowed, as technically children (and the weak-hearted adults among us) wouldn't understand it anyway. And if they do understand what the offensive words in question mean, then the damage is already done, and saying WTF, SMB etc in your post will not change the fact.

My 2c.

PS I suspect the noelgross is being ironic. After all he/she used 'WTF' in the title too. Think about it...
Old 04-25-01, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Junaid
The whole point of WTF, SMB (and DMY ) etc is that you're not swearing, but can still express the sentiment.
Re-read this thread again. Nobody is complaining about the use of WTF in the threads themselves. This thread is about those letters appearing in thread titles. Because this is a family forum, it has relatively strict rules in regards to thread titles, more strict than in the threads themselves.

Let me clarify that I am not offended by WTF being used in the subject, nor am I thin-skinned, but I feel that points can be made without using terms/abbreviations like that.
Old 04-25-01, 10:27 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Some people just aren't gettin enough matey, they just aren't gettin enough
Old 04-26-01, 12:20 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
37 swear words. 15 bodily functions. 12 major, 4 minor organs. 8 bleeped out expletives. Recommended
Old 04-26-01, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Sykes
It amazes me that the other people find time to worry about the fact that people worry about this sort of thing.
It amazes me that other people find time to worry about the fact that .... *falls asleep* *Snores*
Old 04-26-01, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by scott27
Since you asked, as an example, in this thread: WTF? Fugitive @ Amazon, I would have said something like "Question about Fugitive @ Amazon" or "Amazon raising prices of already placed orders for Fugitgive SE?!?" rather than using WTF.

Another example: WTF........What is the Price of Rocky SE???. That poster could have easily left the WTF off and simply titled his post "What is the Price of Rocky SE???".

I just did a search of all forums, and found 61 threads (not counting this one) with WTF in the subject. One of the threads that came up was titled simply "WTF?!?". Granted that was an Other post, but still. I don't think it belongs in any thread titles.

(BTW: the 2 examples I posted were both posted today, and the "WTF?!?" thread was posted about 3 weeks ago. It seems the problem has been getting bigger lately.)
Yeah, those seem like suitable replacements to me too, or just using ??? instead. WTF isn't neccesary at all, really. What's up with that? is equally effective, I think.
Old 04-26-01, 02:55 PM
Banned

I can't believe that some people are trying to tell me what I think "WTF" should stand for. "WTF" can stand for anything you want. No one knows what the original poster means by these letters. It's up to the reader to determine what the letters stand for.

Oh yeah, a little hint for you, I know this sounds crazy but you have the power to choose not to be offended by groups of letters that make a sound. I know we were all taught in school that these words are "bad" but they're really not. They're just groups of letters like any other word on this page.
Old 04-26-01, 03:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Rant

Did you bother to read this thread? The complaint isn't that WTF is necessarily offensive, it's that it is unnecessary to get the point across or is used in such a way that makes the subject vague or meaningless. It would be akin to me starting every new thread with "You know what?" or "Holy Cow!"
Do you really believe that this isn't about someone seeing "WTF" as being offensive? If some threads popped up that said "You know what?" instead of "WTF", no one would have started a Is "You know what?" really necessary in subject lines? thread.

By the way, if it's not offensive, then WTF do people care what someone puts at the beginning of their subject lines?

[Edited by Bust on 04-26-01 at 01:18 PM]
Old 04-26-01, 03:31 PM
Registered

I think it's easy to overlook the impact of people using WTF in subject lines. It may not be a big deal to some of you but it does add to an overall tone of negativity on the forum. I changed the WTF's to Wazzup With.
Old 04-26-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gkleinman
I changed the WTF's to Wazzup With.
Now the forum is one big Budweiser commercial.
Old 04-26-01, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People are actually offended by WTF? You're kidding! That's incredible! It's simply an expression of surprised disbelief, and couldn't possibly be any more removed from the original "intercourse" meaning of the last word.

My opinion of DVDTalk as a whole has just dropped more than a few notches.
Old 04-26-01, 05:18 PM
Registered

Mwoody,

Yep... some people are offended by What The F----

Even if you abreviate it, it's still What The F----

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.