Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Is "WTF" really necessary in subject lines?

Old 04-26-01, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MWoody
People are actually offended by WTF? You're kidding! That's incredible! It's simply an expression of surprised disbelief, and couldn't possibly be any more removed from the original "intercourse" meaning of the last word.

My opinion of DVDTalk as a whole has just dropped more than a few notches.
Removed as it may be, the "F" word still has deep rooted associations as an "offensive" word. From the OED:

Used profanely in imprecations and exclamations as the coarsest equivalent of "Damn"

and since a lot of people (especially Americans, ahem ) seem to think "damn" is pretty offensive, then surely a profane, coarse equivalent of it is even more offensive? And what does "damn" mean?

Used profanely (chiefly in optative, and often with no subject expressed) in imprecations and exclamations, expressing emphatic objurgation or reprehension of a person or thing, or sometimes merely an outburst of irritation or impatience

So "the F word" is just a profane version of a profane version of "Gee, that's irritating!"

Ergo, "WTF" could just as easily be served by the phrase "Really, Really Irritating!" But then, that would involve actually typing hings out, and of course, we know that Internet users can't possibly write a full expression out when an abbreviation will do
Old 04-26-01, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Bust
Oh yeah, a little hint for you, I know this sounds crazy but you have the power to choose not to be offended by groups of letters that make a sound.
So what sound does WTF make?
Old 04-26-01, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gkleinman
Mwoody,

Yep... some people are offended by What The F----

Even if you abreviate it, it's still What The F----

not if I'm telling a story about when I WTF (went to Footlocker).

Old 04-26-01, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

What's The Frequency?
Old 04-26-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

White Thong Frolics
Old 04-26-01, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gkleinman
Yep... some people are offended by What The F----

Even if you abreviate it, it's still What The F----
So THAT'S what it means. Not World Trade Foundation
Old 04-27-01, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by randyc
What's The Frequency?
<b>Kenneth</b>
Old 04-27-01, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim
Originally posted by MWoody
People are actually offended by WTF? You're kidding! That's incredible! It's simply an expression of surprised disbelief, and couldn't possibly be any more removed from the original "intercourse" meaning of the last word.

My opinion of DVDTalk as a whole has just dropped more than a few notches.
Removed as it may be, the "F" word still has deep rooted associations as an "offensive" word. From the OED:

Used profanely in imprecations and exclamations as the coarsest equivalent of "Damn"

and since a lot of people (especially Americans, ahem ) seem to think "damn" is pretty offensive, then surely a profane, coarse equivalent of it is even more offensive? And what does "damn" mean?

Used profanely (chiefly in optative, and often with no subject expressed) in imprecations and exclamations, expressing emphatic objurgation or reprehension of a person or thing, or sometimes merely an outburst of irritation or impatience

So "the F word" is just a profane version of a profane version of "Gee, that's irritating!"

Ergo, "WTF" could just as easily be served by the phrase "Really, Really Irritating!" But then, that would involve actually typing hings out, and of course, we know that Internet users can't possibly write a full expression out when an abbreviation will do
Just use the abbreviation RRI, itl catch on

Thanks for addressing this, I was starting to bother me as well.
Old 04-27-01, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let's just let this go and chalk up one more to the PC police.
Old 04-27-01, 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Drink 'Til She's Cute
It amazes me that people find time to worry about this sort of thing.
You took the words right out of my mouth ...
Old 04-27-01, 02:07 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
IMO, WTF is SOP in the OF. BFD.

Nobody here seems to be suggesting that the use of WTF in a post should be banned, just WTF in the thread title. Not a big deal to me, although somtimes WTF in the title is used rather humerously. Most times, however, it's just superfluous.
Old 05-03-01, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by conkie

I was starting to bother me as well. [/B]
Really?
Old 05-03-01, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Lurker1999
This <i>is</i> supposed to be a relatively family-oriented site, <b>Lurker1999</b>.

- David Stein
Old 05-04-01, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by sfsdfd
This <i>is</i> supposed to be a relatively family-oriented site, <b>Lurker1999</b>.

- David Stein
How do you figure that?
Old 05-04-01, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by veloce
How do you figure that?
This has been discussed before, and I thought it was common knowledge. Admittedly, I can't find mention of it in either the user agreement or any of <b>gkleinman</b>'s recent posts.

Mods, can you tell me whether I'm remembering correctly or I've just completely lost my mind? Thanks.

The reasons given in the past for why this is a family-oriented site are 1) there's no age restriction in the signup form and Geoff is loath to put a "You must be over 18 to enter this site" warning up anywhere, and 2) Geoff doesn't want it adult-oriented (and neither do many of its members.)

The effects of the policy are noted in the clear prohibition on profanity and posting of nude photos, both of which <i>are</i>, of course, in the user agreement.

- David Stein
Old 05-04-01, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by veloce
Originally posted by sfsdfd

- David Stein
How do you figure that?
As I understand it, this site is not 'family oriented' per se, but it is designed to be appropriate for all audiences. As such, there are certain limitations we put in place to moderate the language. The strictest limits apply to thread titles because they are right out there in front of everyone. Use of language is looser within threads, but not all that much.
Old 05-04-01, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

The age thing is one reason, but there was always the policy of keeping the forums presentable, specially to those in work places or around family. In other words, we do not want the user to be embarrassed because they have a browser open to DVDtalk.

If the forum is littered with a lot of profanity and such in the thread titles, the forum appears a lot less presentable. Regardless of morals or whatever, Geoff has indicated he does not want the appearance of his forums to suffer to that extent.

In the past, our moderating standards were that all swear words were against forum rules. We have relaxed that standard. Obviously there are some words that are censored by the software, and sometimes people type all kinds of odd sh!t to work around them. In most cases, that is not a big deal....I think we all recognize that most people are getting used to these kinds of words...and they are losing impact as far as offensiveness IMO. Moderators will still use our judgement though if the content is out there or littered with cursing.

The policy is that we do not allow swear words in subject titles. We also do not allow those same words in altered or censored form in thread titles. For example, do not type M*th*rF***** in a thread title.

The question raised by this thread is WTF representative of a swear word? I guess technically it is, though it could be used in different ways, we all know what it means. Is it morphing into it's own word instead of an acronym? Maybe.

Is it really offensive? Perhaps to some. Frankly, I never thought it was to me...and until reading this post, did not consider it in the same league..for whatever reason.
Old 05-08-01, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by scott27
Originally posted by renaldow
What do you suggest for a suitable replacement, grampa?
Since you asked, as an example, in this thread: WTF? Fugitive @ Amazon, I would have said something like "Question about Fugitive @ Amazon" or "Amazon raising prices of already placed orders for Fugitgive SE?!?" rather than using WTF.

Another example: WTF........What is the Price of Rocky SE???. That poster could have easily left the WTF off and simply titled his post "What is the Price of Rocky SE???".

I just did a search of all forums, and found 61 threads (not counting this one) with WTF in the subject. One of the threads that came up was titled simply "WTF?!?". Granted that was an Other post, but still. I don't think it belongs in any thread titles.

(BTW: the 2 examples I posted were both posted today, and the "WTF?!?" thread was posted about 3 weeks ago. It seems the problem has been getting bigger lately.)
i didn't realize people here supported suppressing freedom of expression!
Old 05-08-01, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by GretzkyScores!!!

i didn't realize people here supported suppressing freedom of expression!
We don't. we support a set of rules to maximize the experience for the most users at this private site. I encourage you to say whatever you wish in a public area. I support your freedom and would fight to protect it.
Old 05-08-01, 04:29 PM
Banned

i understand. It is also good that we question our rules and boundries. It is hard dealing with this subject since slippery slopes are right around every turn.
Old 05-08-01, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is hard dealing with this subject since slippery slopes are right around every turn.
The "slippery slope" is always a weak argument. Usually a clear line of demarcation exists; here it's between "serious cursing" (going by TV rules, maybe.) Even where a line doesn't exist, you can leave some things up to judgment without running the risk of going to extremes.

If we censor "WTF" today, it's not likely we'll be censoring "oh my g**dness" and "g*sh" won't be censored tomorrow.

- David Stein

[Edited by randyc on 05-08-01 at 03:03 PM]
Old 05-08-01, 05:11 PM
Banned

i didn't mean that that outlawing "wtf" is a slippery slope, but that when censuring what poeple are allowed to say you should realize that this might come up in the future again with a more dramatic request.
Old 05-08-01, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

i didn't mean that that outlawing "wtf" is a slippery slope, but that when censuring what poeple are allowed to say you should realize that this might come up in the future again with a more dramatic request.
Such as?
Old 05-08-01, 08:11 PM
Banned

my statement was rhetorical if i sit here and and spout off more items it will just bring up a whole new can of worms.
Old 05-08-01, 08:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

David, I'm not so sure that the slope isn't slippery. Remember Benjamen Buttocks?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.