Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 17: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 07-10-21, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Checklist Construction is complete.

Theme Suggestions are on post 6.

Take the poll on post 12.

Subset volunteers needed: 0

IMDB advanced title search

Horror Films by year starting 1895

Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 17: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-21, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 17: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

I’m waiting for the chat thread to start I know we’ve got to be close. I’ve already bought my pumpkin beer to save for October.
The following users liked this post:
Undeadcow (08-31-21)
Old 08-30-21, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 17: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

I always start in September. Too much going on in October.
Old 08-31-21, 01:10 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I intend to watch some early during the new Art-House challenge. I'm hoping that the chat thread will start soon and that it will pull in one more subset volunteer. If everyone got their picks in we could get started on the checklist quicker and have more time to pull togather our watch list. I would love to not have to scramble the last week to get my watch list togather not to mention finding the subset films.
Old 08-31-21, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I also plan to start in September.
Old 08-31-21, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I"m planning on doing the Eclipse horror set, and and The Twilight Zone during September as a work up to October. I'm eagerly awaiting the solidification of the theme sets so I can start pulling titles and coming up with a game plan that I will not follow....
Old 08-31-21, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I'll work on my subset picks tonight and hopefully have them ready by tomorrow, sorry for the delay!
orlmac (08-31-21)
Old 08-31-21, 11:47 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I'll work on my subset picks tonight and hopefully have them ready by tomorrow, sorry for the delay!
It's all good, I can imagine it takes a while to work up the picks. I've never tried to do it with so many themes to choose from. I have a ton of respect for those that have agreed to do the subset picks.
Undeadcow (08-31-21)
Old 08-31-21, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
It's all good, I can imagine it takes a while to work up the picks. I've never tried to do it with so many themes to choose from. I have a ton of respect for those that have agreed to do the subset picks.
Orlmac; you are the chosen one who can end this - it's important you step forward and claim your rightful place. The group can help you with any struggles and Chad will probably give you a narrowed down list. Only you can free us [from needing just one final blasted subset volunteer and ending the subset planning hiatus].
Originally Posted by Chad
  • 1 subset volunteer needed!
Old 08-31-21, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I haven't really been following this thread, and I'm not planning on watching all the subset films this year - but that didn't stop me from picking a film last year either - if you still need a volunteer, let me know.

This isn't exactly on topic, but I was watching the A/V Geeks lunchtime streaming show on YouTube today, when this oddball flick called Forrester v. Forrester (1973) comes on, and I see a familiar face.

The movie isn't in IMDb (not many of them are), but IMDb does tell me that Angus Scrimm used his real name, Lawrence Rory Guy, before he was in Phantasm (1979).
The following 2 users liked this post by Dimension X:
rbrown498 (08-31-21), Trevor (09-09-21)
Old 08-31-21, 04:31 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

5 films should be the cutoff.
Old 08-31-21, 04:53 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Speaking of finding familiar faces in unexpected places:

A little over two or so years ago, I was looking at the Ebay listings and saw an item for sale with this heading:

16mm - TITAN 5 - "I HATE the moon...I want to SCREAM at it!!!" - Space Age Angst

I was intrigued, so I clicked to read more about the film. Luckily, the film seller went into great detail about the film, and it sounded entertaining. So I bought it for $10.79, shipped. It turned out to be a half-hour religious film that looked like it was designed to be shown in churches. The print had, naturally, turned pretty red, but besides that, it was in great shape. The plot concerns a Christian astronaut-in-training who moves his family to receive further training from an atheist former astronaut who had washed out of training. There's the usual battle of the beliefs, including choice lines such as "Whoever wins the space race will have better hardware, not better prayers."

Unfortunately, most of the main credits for the film were missing; only the tail end remains, with the title onscreen for about a second, followed by producer and director credits. The end credits only repeat the title and say that it's a production of Concordia Films in St. Louis with a copyright date of 1966. From what little I've been able to find on the Internet, Concordia Films was the film production arm of the Lutheran church.

That's all that I've been able to find out about the film via the Internet. However, there are a couple of people involved with the film that make it interesting for horror fans. First of all, it was directed by William F. Claxton. If the name's not instantly familiar, it's because he spent most of his career directing television episodes. He did make some features, however, including some westerns, ROCKABILLY BABY, and most familiar to those on this board, NIGHT OF THE LEPUS.

The second person involved with "Titan 5" is why I posted this here: the atheist astronaut character is played by...Robert Quarry--Count Yorga himself.

Again, there are no credits on my print confirming that it is indeed Robert Quarry. However, the face and the voice unmistakably belong to him. I took a few shots with my phone while I was running the film to give you proof (I apologize for the quality of the photos):

Last edited by rbrown498; 08-31-21 at 05:38 PM.
Dimension X (08-31-21)
Old 08-31-21, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speaking of unconfirmed familiar faces...

This non-speaking extra playing a "typical customer" in the McDonald's training film, Six Steps to Success (1970), looks like Buck Flower to me.

I don't know. For comparison, here he is in his first two film roles listed on IMDb (Cousin Jed Rises Again and Norma, also from 1970):

Last edited by Dimension X; 08-31-21 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Switched movie titles
Old 08-31-21, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The discussion thread is up.

Tried something new this year. I simplified the first post to combat the November 2019 damage. It worked! You can still view the old school extremely wonky original post in post #3.

Last edited by Chad; 08-31-21 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-31-21, 11:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I’m obviously down to be a subset volunteer if needed.
Old 09-01-21, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

What does the last subset volunteer need to do? Just pick one film for one of the nights or list a bunch of films to pick from for every subset?

Sorry to be ignorant after having participated in the past but I usually only go so far as posting a list and participating in minimal discussions in the last several years. I know some things may have changed drastically.
Old 09-01-21, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I haven't really been following this thread, and I'm not planning on watching all the subset films this year - but that didn't stop me from picking a film last year either - if you still need a volunteer, let me know.
Originally Posted by Trevor
I’m obviously down to be a subset volunteer if needed.
1 spot. 2 volunteers. Welcome to the Terrordome! But seriously, I'll be happy to give up my spot if you both want one. It's really no problem at all, just let me know as soon as you can.
Old 09-01-21, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
What does the last subset volunteer need to do? Just pick one film for one of the nights or list a bunch of films to pick from for every subset?

Sorry to be ignorant after having participated in the past but I usually only go so far as posting a list and participating in minimal discussions in the last several years. I know some things may have changed drastically.
In the past the last few remaining were assigned (or chose) a specific theme. This year's a little different by allowing everyone to pick as many or as few as they want. Many of the picks this year are interchangeable with several themes attached, and quite a few volunteers have already given picks for every theme anyway, so that allows for some major flexibility. I know it sounds like a sloppy approach, but it's been successful so far.
Old 09-01-21, 08:50 PM

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

In the past the last few remaining were assigned (or chose) a specific theme. This year's a little different by allowing everyone to pick as many or as few as they want. Many of the picks this year are interchangeable with several themes attached, and quite a few volunteers have already given picks for every theme anyway, so that allows for some major flexibility. I know it sounds like a sloppy approach, but it's been successful so far.
I guess I'm easily confused, because I thought I would just be assigned a theme night, and I would pick an appropriate film to match...
Old 09-02-21, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1 spot. 2 volunteers. Welcome to the Terrordome! But seriously, I'll be happy to give up my spot if you both want one. It's really no problem at all, just let me know as soon as you can.
Since I won't be watching all the subset films, and Trevor probably will, I'll bow out.
Old 09-02-21, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Here are my subset picks, I tried to go with categories that have had fewer suggestions:

Elvira's Movie Macabre 30th Anniversary - The Devil's Wedding Night

1980's Video Companies Spotlight - Tower of Evil

Giallo - The Corruption of Chris Miller

Anthology - Screams of a Winter Night

Ultimate Guide to Strange Cinema - Daughters of Darkness

Asian - Woman Chasing the Butterfly of Death
Old 09-02-21, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom Jr
I guess I'm easily confused, because I thought I would just be assigned a theme night, and I would pick an appropriate film to match...
Just throw out a few and you're good.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Since I won't be watching all the subset films, and Trevor probably will, I'll bow out.
Alright, with Trevor that makes 31. Big thanks to everyone for volunteering.

Old 09-02-21, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few more offerings than we usual have. If I missed anything let me know.

Crossover Group Voting

INDIE/ARTHOUSE
Baby Blood (1990)
A Bay of Blood (1971)
Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010)
Burnt Offerings (1976)
Coma (1978)
Eraserhead (1977)
Good Manners (As Boas Maneiras) (2017)
The Haunting (1963)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
King Kong (1933)
Kuroneko (1968)
Manhunter (1986)
Martin (1977)
Roadgames (1981)
The Stuff (1985)
Vampyr (1932)

Other [INSERT TITLE HERE]

COMEDY
The Babysitter (2017)
The Burbs (1989)
Freaky (2020)
Ghostbusters (1984)
Little Monsters (2019)
Ready or Not (2019)
Slaxx (2021)
Wacko (1982)
Werewolves Within (2021)
Other [INSERT TITLE HERE]

Old 09-03-21, 05:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

This was actually kind of a painful choice. For both…

Crossover Group Voting

INDIE/ARTHOUSE
The Haunting (1963)

COMEDY
Ghostbusters (1984)
Old 09-03-21, 08:29 AM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Crossover Group Voting

INDIE/ARTHOUSE
Kuroneko (1968)

COMEDY
Freaky (2020)
Old 09-03-21, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Arthouse
road games

Comedy
Slaxx

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.