Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

question about spotting bootleg blu-ray's??

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-20, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me if Warner Brothers ever uses these kind of blu-ray cases? i bought this on ebay a few days ago and it's suppose to be brand new never opened but i noticed today when i was checking the tracking, that it didn't look like the standard blu-ray case that has the words Blu-ray at the top. The top looks really thin compared to what most store bought blu-ray's look like. almost reminded me of a cheap replacement case. I've had sellers try to re-wrap blu-rays before and claim they are new but i just wanted to check. maybe warner brothers uses these as promo give aways or some things like that? i might just be jumping to conclusions.

Last edited by dukiejosh54; 12-08-20 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-08-20, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts
Re: question about spotting bootleg blu-ray's??

I can't tell from the pic. Is that the size of a standard Amaray Blu-ray case? Studios have been cutting corners on cases the past few years. BTW, no one is bootlegging Viva Las Vegas. The Chinese bootlegging operations for BD go after higher value box sets, Disney, and newer blockbuster franchises like Harry Potter.
The following users liked this post:
dukiejosh54 (12-08-20)
Old 12-08-20, 09:40 PM

It came out in 2007 so i'm not sure it would of recently been manufactured. Here is a side by side pic of the one i bought and what other sellers are selling on ebay.

Last edited by dukiejosh54; 12-08-20 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-08-20, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

It's probably a legitimate copy. From the photo it looks like the trap sheet cover has slid-up in the case covering the top edge where the Blu-ray logo is.

Is it new? The studios have cut-back so much now that it's hard to tell. Many factory sealed discs now are shrink-wrapped (as opposed to folded over-wrap) and do not have any security sticker strip that runs across the top edge which identifies the title.

Any re-seller with a shrink-wrapper can make a disc look no different than a factory-sealed copy. If everything is in like-new condition, I wouldn't worry too much about it being "new".
dukiejosh54 (12-08-20)
Old 12-08-20, 10:05 PM

yes it's suppose to be new, I never thought about the the sheet cover being shifted up covering the top of the case. That is a big possibility! This movie sells pretty cheap so i thought it would be odd for someone to take the time to bootleg the film. The case just threw me off and my first thought was someone was trying to sell a fake copy. As long as it has the real blu-ray disc inside i'll be happy.
Old 12-08-20, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

If it's any consolation the disc you have is probably factory-sealed because any re-seller who would sell it as new would probably take the time to make sure the trap sheet was straight. The disc you have looks like something that probably went through an automated system which is sometimes imperfect.
Old 12-09-20, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Yeah, the picture is kind of blurry -- so I can't really tell -- but it does look like it's probably a regular blu-ray case, but the art wasn't put in properly and it's covering up the top of the case.
Old 12-10-20, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

It’s from a box set. I’ve seen some of these show up resealed and sold individually.
dukiejosh54 (12-12-20)
Old 12-10-20, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It’s from a box set. I’ve seen some of these show up resealed and sold individually.
That is my guess as well.
Old 12-12-20, 03:55 PM

oh wow okay, that makes some sense, He should of just listed it as like new and from the set. I probably still would of bought. I just hate the shadiness trying to re-seal it as new.
Old 12-16-20, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dukiejosh54
oh wow okay, that makes some sense, He should of just listed it as like new and from the set. I probably still would of bought. I just hate the shadiness trying to re-seal it as new.
Have you actually confirmed with the seller that the disc was indeed part of a boxset?
Old 12-17-20, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

That's the only way these thinpaks have been available- I've seen some of them broken up at Big Lots, and I got the second Harry Potter from Warner that way after sending in a rotted HD-DVD, which I didn't really appreciate.