TV on DVD* The Tenth Season Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV on DVD* The Tenth Season Discussion Thread

Old 12-31-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: TV on DVD* The Tenth Season Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
Was debating upgrading the DVD set. I might have to do it now.

I've been watching Gargoyles on Disney+. It's definitely up there as one of my favorite animated series. As a Star Trek TNG fan I love hearing Marina Sirtis and Jonathan Frakes on the show.
Brent Spiner and Michael Dorn were also in Gargoyles.
Old 12-31-19, 03:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Debating making a big goal for January and binging something big off of my unwatched save-the-best-for-last shelf. Sopranos is probably the longest in runtime, and perhaps too much for one month, so maybe Breaking Bad or The Wire
Old 12-31-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Debating making a big goal for January and binging something big off of my unwatched save-the-best-for-last shelf.
That is my mentality far too often as well. The recent bump of The Wire thread reminded me I haven't pulled it off the shelf yet. And I posted in that very thread in 2016 that I intended to get to it.
Old 12-31-19, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
That is my mentality far too often as well. The recent bump of The Wire thread reminded me I haven't pulled it off the shelf yet. And I posted in that very thread in 2016 that I intended to get to it.
Ok. There are 60 episodes. 31 days in January. That’s less than 2 episodes a day. I’ll go for it if you will.
Old 12-31-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok. There are 60 episodes. 31 days in January. That’s less than 2 episodes a day. I’ll go for it if you will.
I'm in!
Old 12-31-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Debating making a big goal for January and binging something big off of my unwatched save-the-best-for-last shelf. Sopranos is probably the longest in runtime, and perhaps too much for one month, so maybe Breaking Bad or The Wire
Those are all on my list as well, along with Deadwood etc. I did watch one season of True Blood in October, but didn’t even get as far as I’d gotten originally. Also watched one season of Rome for that challenge.
Old 01-01-20, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I put Tremors: A Cold Day In Hell (2018) on my list. It's basically a made-for-TV movie and those count. It debuted on Netfllix the same day it was released on Blu-ray/DVD. And I did watch the DVD.
Old 01-01-20, 11:25 AM

I'm in!
Sweet! Now where the heck did I store that boxset......

Edit to add: Darn, it’s the old DVD boxset. Still unopened of course. And Best Buy exclusive of course. I’ll just watch it on HBO.

Last edited by Trevor; 01-01-20 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-01-20, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A few months ago, while browsing the Apple Store, I came across the digital release of the Complete Series of Voltron. I’ve been watching a few episodes here and there since then. I really enjoy the show, and am coming up on the introduction of Lotor in the next episode. He was always my favorite character on the show. The complete series also includes The Vehicle force. The only thing that the digital version doesn’t have is the Fleet Of Doom movie, which is no biggie, as I have a copy of that. I also recently found my copy of the Macross saga of Robotech ​​​​​​, and have given some thought to watching some of that. The only series of Robotech I don’t own is Southern Cross, since I also have Shadow Chronicles and the Invid saga.
Old 01-02-20, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Finally sat down and streamed my way through The Mandalorian. It reminded me a lot of Firefly in places, but without much effort at humor. I was pleased to find the last two episodes as engaging and as satisfying as they were, because there for awhile I had my doubts whether I'd ever really click with it. The first two episodes feel like watching someone else play a video game. Chapter 4 has our titular protagonist help some farmers defend themselves against marauders, which is fine, but it feels awfully familiar and devoid of anything new. Chapter 5 is set on Tatooine, which I could frankly do without ever seeing again. Chapter 6 is basically Suicide Squad on a prison ship.

By the end, though, I'll readily admit that I'd become interested in the key characters, maybe even invested in them. I have some continuity questions, though, such as why the Ugnaught played by Nick Nolte says he'd been sold into indentured servitude to the Empire for "three human lifetimes". The Empire was only around for about a quarter century. I also struggle with the idea that in such a short time after being around "for over a thousand generations" that the Jedi became some kind of obscure urban myth within that brief period. I could be more accepting if the characters were younger, but "Mando" was rescued by Mandalorians from Super Battle Droids, placing him at an old enough age I don't buy that he'd never even heard of Jedi or the Force.

Still, I was ultimately pleased with this first season and I'm looking forward to the second. Not as much as I'm looking forward to the Obi-Wan Kenobi series, mind you, but he's always been my favorite Star Wars character.
Old 01-02-20, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Gone back "old school" with Hart to Hart S4. It's enjoyable enough but suffers from a kind of sameness. It's also one of those where you wonder just why a "self-made millionaire" and his wife get involved in solving all these murder and theft cases with no police anywhere to be seen. A few this season have had someone from Interpol or another foreign agency be involved where the Hart's think he's one of the criminals. In spite of that it's generally fun with lots of action. I frequently feel like the people writing the scripts didn't have a clue how to handle "Max" as he's typically relegated to "Max... where'd you leave the car?" type stuff. The one episode so far this season that actually focuses on him was not very good, suffering from an overworked theme (Max "wins" a million in a fake cereal slogan contest - mainly the cereal slogan contest bit with a really lame winning slogan).

I also watched S1 of Benson, a recent purchase. It holds up well enough but, like other sitcoms of its era, suffers from lesser acting abilities of the kids involved and the occasional oddball script. My opinion of the show when it originally aired is the first season was best as the character pretty much kept the persona developed in SOAP. I have the 2nd season so may watch it this month to see if what I recall as the drop off in just about everything is accurate.
Old 01-02-20, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Once Benson was holding office as first the Budget Director and later as Lt. Governor, the show just didn’t seem the same.
Old 01-02-20, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really enjoy Disney +. Lately, I’ve been watching Hostile Planet ​​​​​​, and tonight I finished the show by watching the last two episodes. There is so much choice of what to watch on there.
Old 01-03-20, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I noticed watching The Mentalist S1 that the actors playing Maxwell Sheffield and his older daughter from "The Nanny" appeared in different episodes.
Old 01-03-20, 10:19 AM

I'm in!
I’m keeping pace on 2 per day so far, you? Really enjoying it, but not getting the best series of all-time vibe yet.
Old 01-03-20, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Those are all on my list as well, along with Deadwood etc. I did watch one season of True Blood in October, but didn’t even get as far as I’d gotten originally. Also watched one season of Rome for that challenge.
I *really* like Deadwood. It's an excellent series and one I'd like to revisit (I've watched it 3 times so far). I'm stopped by all the unopened stuff I have that I "need" to watch. Since I use this challenge for that it pretty much rules out rewatching old favorites.

I do need to get the movie. I saw it once right after it was released and feel it's a good fit with the series. Too short, but good.
The following users liked this post:
davidh777 (01-04-20)
Old 01-04-20, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m keeping pace on 2 per day so far, you? Really enjoying it, but not getting the best series of all-time vibe yet.
I'm behind, but I expected to be. Found my DVD set (still sealed) and cracked it open. Watched the first episode and found it interesting. I had read in a few places that it started slow so I'm excited to see it pick up steam.

I have a day off on Monday and the kids are back in school, so looking forward to burning through quite a bit then.

Edited to add: Posting this motivated me to catch another episode this morning.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 01-04-20 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-04-20, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished S4 of Hart to Hart and picked up where I'd left off with S5 of Andromeda. That one's OK but I'm really not enjoying the later seasons as much as the first two or three. Trying to decide the next half-hour series to plug in.

I'm also looking at finally watching my "40th Anniversary" edition of The Prisoner. I picked that one up before it went OOP. It's one of those series where I've seen an odd episode or two over the years but never have sat down and watched it from the beginning. All those random episodes were just weird and difficult to figure out just what was going on. And from what I've read that's about par for that one even if you start from the first episode. Still, it's an iconic series with spy/SF type goings on so is, generally, right up my alley. That set is quite expensive these days so I'm looking at just streaming it on Amazon (free with Prime) to see if I enjoy it enough to keep the set.
Old 01-04-20, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I’ve seen scenes from The Prisoner but never the whole thing, and I really don’t have an excuse for it, as it’s a digestible length and qualifies for multiple challenges. I just have to commit to it.
Old 01-04-20, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm also looking at finally watching my "40th Anniversary" edition of The Prisoner. I picked that one up before it went OOP. It's one of those series where I've seen an odd episode or two over the years but never have sat down and watched it from the beginning. All those random episodes were just weird and difficult to figure out just what was going on. And from what I've read that's about par for that one even if you start from the first episode. Still, it's an iconic series with spy/SF type goings on so is, generally, right up my alley. That set is quite expensive these days so I'm looking at just streaming it on Amazon (free with Prime) to see if I enjoy it enough to keep the set.
I’ve seen scenes from The Prisoner but never the whole thing, and I really don’t have an excuse for it, as it’s a digestible length and qualifies for multiple challenges. I just have to commit to it.
I believe that Blu-ray set is going for a lot of money since it went OOP and I have it just sitting there, unopened and unwatched. I need to rectify that but it won't be in this Challenge. Similar to David, I also seen scenes from this show (The number, the Bubble that chases after you) but never seen this show in its entirety.
Old 01-04-20, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just streamed the Netflix original comedy special John Mulaney & the Sack Lunch Bunch. I liked the idea of this special more than I necessarily liked the special itself, though it was enjoyable overall. I'd like to see them go at this again. Maybe next time they could leave out a joke about a crew member going missing because he has schizophrenia. As a mental healthcare advocate, that one made me wince.
Old 01-04-20, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just streamed Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear's "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons" on Hulu. There's something demoralizing about how much of the dialogue about race and gender has remained active all these years. As for the performances, Woody Harrelson kept me from settling into the All in the Family half. He may have intended to channel Carroll O'Connor, but it came off as a caricature instead that made me cringe every time he opened his mouth. That should still happen, but because of what Archie says, not how Harrelson says it. It's a shame, because Harrelson has been such an otherwise reliably solid actor and I think if he'd instead just played Archie Bunker instead of playing Carroll O'Connor playing Archie Bunker, he could have been fantastic. Jamie Foxx was similarly ramped up in his All in the Family segment as George Jefferson, going overboard with Sherman Hemsley mannerisms, but once things shifted to The Jeffersons half, Foxx settled in and made it work. Everyone else was fantastic, but by far the most satisfying moment of the hour was when Louise opened to door to reveal the arrival of Marla Gibbs as Florence.
Old 01-05-20, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Followed up with Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear's "Good Times" and "All in the Family". I had a stronger preference for this one than the first, chiefly because of the selected stories. In Good Times, we watch the Evans family divided at election time, and in All in the Family, Christmas guests include Archie's friend whose son was killed in Vietnam and Michael's friend, who fled to Canada to dodge the draft. I'm still not a fan of Harrelson's Archie, but the story was strong enough to supersede that. Jay Pharaoh stumbled in a similar way, playing Jimmy Walker playing J.J. more than playing J.J. Oddly, it occurs to me that Marisa Tomei was just as guilty of aping Jean Stapleton but for whatever reason, I'm more accepting of that. I dunno why that is, except maybe it's just that Marisa Tomei is so charming she can do no wrong? In any event, I do hope they continue with these. I've enjoyed the two specials/four episodes so far.
Trevor (01-05-20)
Old 01-05-20, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Just streamed the Netflix original comedy special John Mulaney & the Sack Lunch Bunch. I liked the idea of this special more than I necessarily liked the special itself, though it was enjoyable overall. I'd like to see them go at this again. Maybe next time they could leave out a joke about a crew member going missing because he has schizophrenia. As a mental healthcare advocate, that one made me wince.
I happened to rewatch Mulaney’s Kid Gorgeous at Radio City Music Hall. Lots of good bits in that one.
Old 01-05-20, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I happened to rewatch Mulaney’s Kid Gorgeous at Radio City Music Hall. Lots of good bits in that one.
Oh, I really enjoyed Kid Gorgeous! I still don't think of Mulaney by name when listing favorite comics off the top of my head, but he really has become one of them. I see a comedic lineage to Norm MacDonald and Jerry Seinfeld in certain tendencies of his, whether it's with the way he tells a story or in the kinds of entirely unexpected bits of minutiae he spotlights for a bit. I don't recall if he shared this bit in the Kid Gorgeous special, but this is my favorite of his material that I know:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Mw7Gryt-rcc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
davidh777 (01-05-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.