2019 Criterion Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-19, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: 2019 Criterion Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Nobody's gonna go for the swap anyway.
Well, worth the ask at least. I really feel like challenge participation overall has gone way down. Participation in threads is lower than previous years too.
Old 09-16-19, 08:50 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Yeah, the entire forum is becoming a ghost town. Politics is the only place with any real discussion.

I’m good with possible month swaps being done, but think that overall November is perfect for Comedy. With horror being the dominant Challenge by far, Comedy in November is a nice cool down from the scares of October. And with so many holiday films and shows being Comedy, it segues into December perfectly. In fact, with horror comedy being such a huge sub-genre, and the almost two week overlap with Holiday, it’d be hard to argue that November Comedy isn't the best two cross-Challenge possibilities of any month on the calendar.
Old 09-16-19, 10:58 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Well, folks, we're at the halfway point. How's it shaking out for everyone? What have you got left that you want to get to before the end of the challenge?
I'm on pace for my goal, but the stack of unwatched discs doesn't seem to be getting shorter... I do want to get to more commentaries, etc. so will concentrate on those this coming week.

Old 09-16-19, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How's everyone's challenge going so far? Found any new favorites, or learned anything new about an old one? For those doing the checklist or set personal goals, how's your progress?
I've revisited more previously watched stuff than anything. The coolest thing is my son has been watching them with me, seeing many of these films for the first time. So far his favorite first time watches were Breathless, Harold and Maude, and Raging Bull (laserdisc title, Blu-ray copy).

I still have the following to go through thoroughly this month:
  • The American Friend
  • The Lodger
  • My Own Private Idaho
  • Pygmalion
  • A Special Day
  • Young Mr. Lincoln
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Anyway, I'm about to revisit M. That'll end up being three movie viewings in all, since I'll also do the commentary and the English language version. It's one of four on my to-do list that will end up being three viewings.
I like that idea to watch M with the commentary track. I got the Blu-ray in the B&N summer haul but I haven't opened it yet.
Old 09-16-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, the entire forum is becoming a ghost town. Politics is the only place with any real discussion.

I’m good with possible month swaps being done, but think that overall November is perfect for Comedy. With horror being the dominant Challenge by far, Comedy in November is a nice cool down from the scares of October. And with so many holiday films and shows being Comedy, it segues into December perfectly. In fact, with horror comedy being such a huge sub-genre, and the almost two week overlap with Holiday, it’d be hard to argue that November Comedy isn't the best two cross-Challenge possibilities of any month on the calendar.
Worth noting is that there are quite a few in the Criterion Collection that are also Horror, which participants in this challenge already know from "warming up" for the Horror challenge. It is true that there aren't very man Holiday movies in the Collection, but I wonder if having two weeks to vacillate between Criterion and Holiday movies might not help stave off burnout from either. In any event, I was just brainstorming. I don't think I'll bother making the proposal elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Shack
I'm on pace for my goal, but the stack of unwatched discs doesn't seem to be getting shorter... I do want to get to more commentaries, etc. so will concentrate on those this coming week.
Good luck!

Originally Posted by popcorn
I've revisited more previously watched stuff than anything. The coolest thing is my son has been watching them with me, seeing many of these films for the first time. So far his favorite first time watches were Breathless, Harold and Maude, and Raging Bull (laserdisc title, Blu-ray copy).

I still have the following to go through thoroughly this month:
  • The American Friend
  • The Lodger
  • My Own Private Idaho
  • Pygmalion
  • A Special Day
  • Young Mr. Lincoln
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I like that idea to watch M with the commentary track. I got the Blu-ray in the B&N summer haul but I haven't opened it yet.
That's really cool that your son has been watching them with you!
Old 09-17-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's really cool that your son has been watching them with you!
Thanks! Tonight we're watching My Own Private Idaho, because he only knows Joaquin Phoenix. River died four year before he was even born.
Old 09-18-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I was in the mood for some horror, so I looked on YouTube, since I recalled Vampyre being on there. I’ve seen it before, so not a first time view. It is however a movie that I’ve always enjoyed. There is just something so atmospheric about the old horror movies.
Old 09-21-19, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've completed M and Brief Encounter in the last few days. I had seen both of them once apiece, several years ago, and they resonated with me enough that I snagged them during some of the Barnes & Noble sales since those viewings. I kept meaning to watch them for this challenge but never got around to either. I was again spellbound by each, though obviously for different reasons. It's easy to understand why they're still acclaimed. They're the kinds of movies that I think most of us find out about once we start exploring film beyond whatever movies that came out during our own lives to that point. Those kinds of movies can be easy to put on a watchlist but easily put off for another day. M is for the "ripped from the headlines" crime story fans, and Brief Encounter for those into doomed romances. If you're either of those types of viewers and haven't seen them, I would strongly encourage you to take advantage of the remainder of this month's challenge as an impetus for sitting down with them.

As for their respective Criterion releases, I think their commentary tracks are the best microcosm for contrast. M's features two German film scholars. They talk a lot about the symbols in the story and placing the film in its historical context. It's particularly fun because they periodically debate one another in an almost passive-aggressive way. For instance, one argued that M reflected the trauma of post-WWI Germany; the other emphasized how close it was to WWII. I wish they'd elaborated on their respective arguments more than they did, but it was thought provoking all the same. I could write an entire essay about the subject but, for the purposes of this thread, I'll just recommend listening to the track itself.

Brief Encounter, however, was an outright disappointment. Though it was recorded several years before Wikipedia came along, it has the feel of someone simply reciting various pages from it about the cast. Frustratingly little of Bruce Eder's remarks have anything to do with what's on the screen. I would have been more accepting if he had at least synthesized those bios somehow, but instead, he basically just goes from one actor's career to the next.

It's inaccurate to say every supplement is of the same quality as those commentaries, but fair to say they're mostly close. The English language version of M is horrid. The dubbing is comically bad, but it's more the editing that frustrated me. It feels intended for an impatient audience than an attentive one. Scenes still deliver most of the same information, but they're trimmed enough that they jump from one to the next rather than segue. It costs the film its tension, which seems impossible to do. Conversely, Brief Encounter does include an (almost) hour-long "Self Portrait" retrospective of David Lean's filmography through Ryan's Daughter. Lean's remarks about the films themselves are rote, but when he gets to talking about the actual work that goes into filmmaking, he's highly engaging. He doesn't just talk about directing and editing, the two things he did. He also surveys what each department does on a film, and what their actual work is. Because of the runtime, it's more of a Behind-the-Scenes 101 course, but Lean's enthusiasm and expertise compensate for the brevity.
Old 09-22-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was looking for my copy of Cat People ​​​​​​ to watch, but wasn’t able to easily locate it, so I decided to fall back on an old favorite, and watch some kaiju. I dug out Volume 1 of my Classic Media Godzilla collection and put in Gojira. While later Godzilla movies are typical 50s and 60s monster movies, the first Japanese version is a very good allegory for the atomic bomb.
Old 09-22-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I put in my Twilight Time copy of 1984, but my Blu-Ray player couldn't read it, so I watched my old MGM DVD instead. Really frustrated that I paid $15 for a dud disc. I guess I'll have to get the Criterion in November. The movie itself is a brilliant adaptation of a difficult novel , since so much of it is long political lecture from Emmanuel Goldstein's book. Director and writer Michael Radford only included technologies that existed in 1948 when Orwell's novel was published, so we see the nightmare world of Oceania just as Orwell imagined it. The performances are all excellent, Richard Burton is terrific as Inner Party member O'Brien is a sad reminder of the roles he could have performed if Liz Taylor and the bottle hadn't wrecked him.

The Devils is coming to The Criterion Channel next month!!!

Last edited by Gobear; 09-22-19 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-23-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Only one week left! I can still reach my goal, but it requires me to watch a disc in its entirety every day between now and then. I won't cover all of the checklist even if I do make it through. It'd be easy to just watch the movies and come back to the commentaries and supplements, but I like doing the deep dive. It feels like attending a symposium that starts with a screening of the movie followed by a series of panels. I dig that.
Old 09-26-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fail-Safe is being added to the collection.
Old 09-26-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I watched Charade, which has always been considered Hitchcock-lite, but that’s OK when the leads are so charming. And as is often the case, I’d heard the theme song years before I ever saw the movie.

The movie takes me back to the early days of DVD, when it was held up as a shining example of the Criterion treatment. At the time, the film was in the public domain, and there were many cheap versions available, but none with the quality of the Criterion (even though I don’t believe the disc was even anamorphically enhanced!).

It’s one of the movies that represents the Criterion label to me, along with Seven Samurai (my first Criterion purchase, and also one of the first four DVDs I ever bought) and The Third Man. Not necessarily because they’re the best movies or the best packages, but because they’re how I got to know the brand.

What other movies seem like the epitome of the Criterion Collection to people?
Old 09-27-19, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Salo, because I can't imagine any other outfit releasing it.
Old 09-27-19, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

The Seventh Seal is my pick. The Criterion Collection introduced me to Ingmar Bergman, and they are the primary distributors of his movies in the U.S.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty much done with the challenge unless I can fit in one more movie tonight or on Monday evening. I'm going out-of-town this weekend to visit friends and see a production of Macbeth. I've had a very satisfying month and managed to get through a lot of things!
Old 09-27-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree about The Seventh Seal, and would also like to add The Virgin Spring ​​​​​​. I’ve never seen them myself, but from what I know of Ingmar Bergman, his movies always seemed like the perfect Criterion movies.

Last night, I felt like a movie, so decided to put in Halloween. I figured, if I was going to watch a movie, that I may as well get credit for it. Plus it has always been a favorite, ever since I was young.
Old 09-27-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched Charade, which has always been considered Hitchcock-lite, but that’s OK when the leads are so charming. And as is often the case, I’d heard the theme song years before I ever saw the movie.

The movie takes me back to the early days of DVD, when it was held up as a shining example of the Criterion treatment. At the time, the film was in the public domain, and there were many cheap versions available, but none with the quality of the Criterion (even though I don’t believe the disc was even anamorphically enhanced!).

It’s one of the movies that represents the Criterion label to me, along with Seven Samurai (my first Criterion purchase, and also one of the first four DVDs I ever bought) and The Third Man. Not necessarily because they’re the best movies or the best packages, but because they’re how I got to know the brand.

I first heard of Criterion when my friend bought their release of The Royal Tenenbaums, still one of his favorites today. I didn't ask anything about what Criterion was at the time, though, and I don't know that he would have known then, anyway. Then The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou came out. It looked fun and I wanted to see it, but didn't get out to catch it during its brief theatrical run. By this point, I was splurging on movies regularly, including blind buys. I found a used Criterion DVD of Life Aquatic for sale at Gamestop and snagged it. That was when I started to find out what Criterion was.

For me, Criterion is first and foremost those essential foreign/art house films. Belle de Jour, M, Rashomon, The Seventh Seal, are the ones that first come to my mind. They're emblematic of the kinds of movies I'd heard of, but had no idea how to actually see in those pre-Netflix days. Finding out there was a disc distributor that had brought together those and so many other films of their ilk made them immediately accessible to me. Of course, I was also greatly intimidated by the Criterion brand and didn't actually begin exploring it until I gave in and dabbled with this DVD Talk challenge in 2010. I worried I wasn't bright enough to understand the movies, and the supplements would make me feel even worse. Most commentary tracks I had seen listed on discs featured the director, maybe joined by an actor or two; Criterion's featured "film historian"s and "film scholar"s! I'm forever grateful to DVD Talk for getting me to finally explore such films.

Last edited by Travis McClain; 09-27-19 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-27-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In the last few days, I've completed The Spy Who Came In From the Cold and Wild Strawberries. Not exactly the most upbeat duo I could have gone with, but I picked them in part because they seemed to be kind of light on bonus content. Spy has a few listed supplements and only a scene-select commentary. The joke was on me, though, 'cause most of those supplements were long enough that I ended up spending three hours on them! They were thankfully, overall, of high quality. What stood out to me most about Spy was just how absolutely gorgeous it is on Blu-ray. I was mesmerized by the textures of clothes and even the wood paneling of a doorway in one shot.

The Wild Strawberries presentation isn't quite as revelatory on a visual level, but it's certainly as rich as I'd hoped. The behind-the-scenes footage was well worth watching if only because some of it is in color!

Both movies are still just as engaging as I remembered them being, and I was glad to revisit them.
Old 09-27-19, 11:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Best viewing of the month for me has been the Wim Wenders documentary Pina. I probably wrote whenever I first watched it (last year?) but it’s amazing. I’ve never been at all interested in dance, and didn’t expect much from this film. To be honest, I only bought it to have a 3D film in my Criterion collection and let me check that box on my monthly checklist each September. But this film is powerfully moving, and I enjoyed even more this year.
Old 09-28-19, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I found a used copy of Chasing Amy for a buck recently and took a chance on it, really just figuring it might plug a hole in my checklist somewhere. I'd never seen it, and have only seen a little of the View Askewniverse. I don't know how I might have responded to it at the time of its release, but it's certainly an interesting one to see for the first time in 2019, as someone who was in his late teens at the time the movie was originally made and released. It's a mixed bag. Kevin Smith's narrative point is probably just as relevant now as then, but the execution of making that point is... frequently hard to watch in large part because the whole thing is supposed to be a teaching lesson for the Ben Affleck character that the Jason Lee character doesn't learn and is taught at the expense of the Joey Lauren Adams character. It feels like a laudable storytelling objective but in the hands of the entirely wrong storyteller. It's frustrating.

And yet, I have to also acknowledge that whether anyone cares to admit it or not, Smith's depiction of how young adult Gen X'ers viewed the world and talked about it at that time is highly accurate. The most perfect illustration of this is when Affleck tells Lee he should knock off the casual homophobic slurs. Rather than agree, Lee turns it around: Affleck is the bad guy, for being Adams's PC police enforcer. I'm not wrong for doing something wrong; you're wrong for holding me accountable for doing something wrong. It would be going too far to suggest that Chasing Amy is some kind of historically significant work of cinema capturing the zeitgeist of a social era, but it is relevant at least insofar as it shows that those Gen X'ers today who insist on continuing to act as the Jason Lee character did were told 20+ years ago to knock it off.

On an unrelated note: Smith points out that Affleck had taken the time to come in to record the commentary track while filming Armageddon. I almost want to stop my challenge here, just because I started with the Criterion Armageddon DVD and this would be a fun bookend. However, I have enough time left that I think I can get through at least one more disc in its entirety, maybe two.
Old 09-29-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I broke out my new copy of Swing Time on BD. I’m mostly digital these days but couldn’t resist this one. Years (probably 10) ago during the heyday of BD, WB guru George Feltenstein said all the Astaire-Rogers films were ready for BD, then nothing actually came out till now.

Film looked good, but I haven’t compared it to DVD or to the digital HD version. I watched a supplement, a 40-minute film-specific making-of that I remember from the 10-DVD set years back.

Swing Time has always been my favorite A-R, even though I admit Top Hat is a better film. I really like the Kern-Fields score and how dance and songs are integrated. I also have fond memories because when Astaire died, I hadn’t seen any of his films (maybe That’s Entertainment clips) so I taped my local station’s tribute broadcast of Swing Time that night and was hooked. Interestingly they cut out the blackface sequence so I didn’t see it till years later, and it still feels unexpected when I see it. Also back in the day, I set out to watch all 10 Astaire-Rogers, but it was tough to find catalog films—Blockbuster didn’t carry more than a few of them—but I eventually found them all.
Old 09-29-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It seemed appropriate, during this last weekend of the regular baseball season, to revisit Bull Durham. There aren't many baseball movies that are actually good movies, so it's understandable that Criterion should enshrine one. I think I've seen it half a dozen times over the years, not including with commentary tracks. I've never been in love with the final act, after Nuke's call-up. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I feel a drop off in energy. Regardless, I still love the movie itself.

The Criterion presentation is, I'm afraid, disappointing. The only thing new is an 18 minute one-on-one with Ron Shelton in which he largely repeats things he said in the previously recorded materials. This sense of Criterion phoning it in extends to the packaging. The booklet features a reprint of a 1989 New Yorker essay by Roger Angell rather than anything newly commissioned. Even the insert under the clear plastic of the case is just a solid generic red. This is not to say that those preexisting materials aren't worthwhile; the commentary tracks and the essay all are. But it's hard to point to any part of this release and say that Bull Durham truly got the Criterion treatment.
Old 09-30-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is the first year that I've completed the checklist even though I didn't see everything I wanted to watch this month.
Old 09-30-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gobear
This is the first year that I've completed the checklist even though I didn't see everything I wanted to watch this month.
Congratulations Gobear. I didn’t even attempt the checklist. I enjoyed what movies I did watch though.
Old 09-30-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hit a significant milestone with the Before trilogy, which I bought on BD a few years ago when the pre-order was misprinted. I’d only seen the first, and that was years ago, so it was really satisfying to watch all three in a row. I was riveted in the development of the characters.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.