DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2019 Criterion Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 08-13-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: 2019 Criterion Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Travis McClain View Post
Hey! I have major depressive disorder, too! *fist bump* Our paths have been similar, actually. When I participated in my first Criterion Challenge, I figured I'd scope out some Bergman since I'd heard his name in those circles. My first was Smiles of a Summer Night. I didn't fall in love with it, but I definitely recognized that this was a storyteller who could reach me. I was right! And I have often suspected that it's my depressed noggin that Bergman reaches.
We should form a MDD club! Our meetings will definitely be fun! It's interesting how my mental issues inform the what kinds of movies resonate with me. There's something about the bleakness of movies like Persona and The Passion of Anna that feels oddly comfortable to me. My brain can often be a bleak place, and it's nice to see a movie that correlates.

I love Smiles of a Summer Night and suggested to a friend that she start there when I gave her some of my Bergman DVDs. I think it's a good way to ease into Bergman's style before tackling his weightier films.
Old 08-13-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mrcellophane View Post
We should form a MDD club! Our meetings will definitely be fun! It's interesting how my mental issues inform the what kinds of movies resonate with me. There's something about the bleakness of movies like Persona and The Passion of Anna that feels oddly comfortable to me. My brain can often be a bleak place, and it's nice to see a movie that correlates.

I love Smiles of a Summer Night and suggested to a friend that she start there when I gave her some of my Bergman DVDs. I think it's a good way to ease into Bergman's style before tackling his weightier films.
I can appreciate referring someone to start with Smiles of a Summer Night. It's certainly one of the lighter ones. I think my Bergman started kit would be:

Smiles of a Summer Night
Summer Interlude -or- Summer with Monika, depending on what I know about the person's taste
Wild Strawberries
Sawdust and Tinsel

I feel like Sawdust is the perfect microcosm of Bergman's storytelling. I think it does take a movie or two to acclimate to him, but once that's done, Sawdust seems to me like a strong barometer for whether that person is going to find much beyond that point to explore with enthusiasm. I would emphasize, of course, that it is recognized more as a second, rather than first tier Bergman film, so they understood that this is not the peak (though for many Wild Strawberries is).

(On a side note, speaking of meetings for MDD, a few years ago, I got involved with my local chapter of the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance, and it has made a world of difference in my management of my mental health. I would highly encourage anyone with such concerns to look into finding your nearest chapter.)
Old 08-13-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have been working on the esthetic of my list and how to display it for this upcoming challenge. I think I'm done but I'll love to hear some of your comments/suggestions about it.

I think I'm going to subscribe to the Criterion Channel for a year. I have been thinking about it since they went live and this challenge will be incentive enough to get it.
Old 08-14-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have officially signed up for the Criterion Channel and ready for the Criterion Challenge.

I may have to start watching some of it early as I noticed that Swing Time will be leaving the channel by the end of August.
Old 08-18-19, 07:31 AM

I don't watch a lot of movies during this challenge but I did notice that when I put in Criterion in keywords my library has 901 choices. Obviously these aren't all Criterion releases but it looks like I have a solid beginning point for free.
Old 08-18-19, 07:34 AM

Dr. Strange, The Man Who Knew too Much, Judex and Straw Dogs are early contenders.
Old 08-18-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orlmac View Post
Dr. Strange, The Man Who Knew too Much, Judex and Straw Dogs are early contenders.
Dr. Strange?
Old 08-18-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
Dr. Strange?
Dr. Strangelove, perhaps? Somehow I don't see Disney giving permission for someone else to make money off of Marvel!
Old 08-18-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
Dr. Strangelove, perhaps? Somehow I don't see Disney giving permission for someone else to make money off of Marvel!
Okay that sounds more like it.

I already started watching Criterion movies even though the challenge doesn't start until the end of the month.

Since I subscribed to the channel, I have watched Swing Time, Dragon Inn and A Touch of Zen.
Old 08-21-19, 08:23 AM

Thanks for catching that and making it Dr. Strangelove LJG. I was so immersed in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge last month I guess I just shortened the name. Of course, I'll be watching Fantastic Mr. Fox to start things off. A little Guillermo del toro is possible also. At least I'll be watching any comments he has on any of the movies I watch.