Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 10th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 10th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The 10th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
RE: Jonny Quest

Just this week I noticed that there's a shot of Race firing his rifle at the mummy in "The Curse of Anubis" which is repeated with a different background in a later episode (and I think it was flipped for the reuse - don't recall just which episode off hand). That was the first time I noticed that reuse of a shot! And I've seen this series dozens of times over the years, watching it every time it aired during first run and almost every Saturday it aired until it was removed from the schedule. The stories and production are so good that I've never really looked for, or paid attention to, stuff like that.

I'm almost done with the first disc and this scene of the two fighter jets was reused twice so far, in "Arctic Splashdown" and "The Robot Spy" episodes I think.
Old 08-07-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I have watched My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, Kiki's Delivery Service and Grave of the Fireflies.

I think I might have watched Spirited Away as I remember how the movie starts but for the life of me, can't remember the ending. That's why I consider it unwatched. I also started Princess Mononoke but I know for sure that I just gave up and didn't finish it for sure. People always consider the above two as Miyazaki's greatest films but I just didn't care for it at the time. I might need to watch it during this challenge and see if I like it.

P.S. I don't think I'll ever rewatch Grave again and I'm pretty sure I just bought it to complete my collection.
Took me a couple tries to watch Spirited Away all the way through, but it did grow on me. Kiki is a good one. I've only watched Princess Mononoke once, but I remember liking it. Wasn't the best but enjoyable for me. The newer ones seem to be more what I enjoy watching, though other than Pom Poko I haven't disliked any.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I’ve only ever seen Grave Of The Fireflies once. Got it from the library one time. I can honestly say that I never want to watch it again. Not that it is a bad movie, but it is the only movie that ever made me cry. I never want to go through that again.
Grave of the Fireflies is excellent but horrifically sad! I have watched it once and that was enough for me. I own the majority of Studio Ghibli's films, but not that one. I doubt I will. That being said...everyone should see it once. Kind of like Schindler's List.

RE: Jonny Quest

The episodes are on the BR in air date order. These originally aired on Friday nights at 7:30 pm Eastern on ABC and moved to Thursdays at 7:30 pm Eastern December 31st that year. With a week between episodes it's unlikely we'd have noticed something like that. When it moved to Saturday mornings they still aired a single episode per week.

Just this week I noticed that there's a shot of Race firing his rifle at the mummy in "The Curse of Anubis" which is repeated with a different background in a later episode (and I think it was flipped for the reuse - don't recall just which episode off hand). That was the first time I noticed that reuse of a shot! And I've seen this series dozens of times over the years, watching it every time it aired during first run and almost every Saturday it aired until it was removed from the schedule. The stories and production are so good that I've never really looked for, or paid attention to, stuff like that.
I got the impression they were shown out of order. The one introducing Hadji is like 4 or 5 into the first season! When I watched it as a kid or even as an adult, they were mostly 1 or 2 at a time, not all at once so it was harder to notice reused scenes, but now that I'm binging them, it's a lot easier to see! The rock scene that caught my eye changed the background too, but Race was in the same position and the rock was exactly the same and just caught my eye since I had seen it before within the last 30 minutes! Watching one episode once in a while really does make it harder to spot. I also doubt that when this was made, they'd ever imagine someone watching these all at once whenever they wanted to!
Old 08-07-19, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
The rock scene that caught my eye changed the background too, but Race was in the same position and the rock was exactly the same and just caught my eye since I had seen it before within the last 30 minutes! Watching one episode once in a while really does make it harder to spot. I also doubt that when this was made, they'd ever imagine someone watching these all at once whenever they wanted to!
I'm pretty sure the Race rock throwing scene has been parodied more than once, though I'm hard pressed to name anything off the top of my head.
Old 08-07-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I got the impression they were shown out of order. The one introducing Hadji is like 4 or 5 into the first season! When I watched it as a kid or even as an adult, they were mostly 1 or 2 at a time, not all at once so it was harder to notice reused scenes, but now that I'm binging them, it's a lot easier to see! The rock scene that caught my eye changed the background too, but Race was in the same position and the rock was exactly the same and just caught my eye since I had seen it before within the last 30 minutes! Watching one episode once in a while really does make it harder to spot. I also doubt that when this was made, they'd ever imagine someone watching these all at once whenever they wanted to!
That one introducing Hadji is oddly placed. I've never looked up production order so...

Heck, most shows back then were pretty much assumed to be "Watch it this week or never again." Most producers didn't even seem to have syndication possibilities in mind. It (TV) was all seen as pretty much disposable entertainment.
Old 08-09-19, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a head's up: Disney Movie Rewards is having a points reduction/sale on many of their DVDs and BRs. Quite a bit of animation is in there. I picked up Bambi II (I know, I know, it's going to be bad, but I collect Disney and have been slowly filling in those awful DTV sequels. You'd be surprised how many I've found at garage sales!), Toy Story That Time Forgot and the Walt Disney Short Films Collection. Both Toy Story and WD Short Films are BR combo packs with the DC. Toy Story is only DVD, but it's just a short anyway, so I don't mind that much. There's a good chance I'll get these before the end of the challenge as there's a distribution center in my state, but we'll see...
Old 08-10-19, 04:07 AM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

If you have access to Hoopla, they have some Anime movies available for free streaming. They have a Roku app for watching on your TV.

https://www.hoopladigital.com/genre/364905924

They recently added:

Okko's Inn
Penguin Highway
Perfect Blue
Maquia
Lu Over The Wall
Castle of Cagliostro
In This Corner of the World
Liz and the Blue Bird
Fireworks
Old 08-10-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished a first time veiwing of Disney's The Jungle Book (2016). I really like the original and wasn't sure how I'd feel about this live action/cgi mash up. I was surprised that I really enjoyed it although I prefer the music from the original. It's pretty intense in several spots so I don't know how well it would work for small kids but at 7/8 you're gold. Part of me wishes I'd waited to watch it with my grandkids - especially the 8yo. I think she'd really enjoy it.

I also watched some Looney Tunes, finally opening that BR Platinum Collection V1 I picked up a few years back. My oldest grandson came in while I was watching them and said "I didn't know you liked Looney Tunes, Pa!" Guess he really *doesn't* listen... He sat down and watched several with me. That was more enjoyable as he was almost constantly laughing which made me smile. He loved the gag in "Buccaneer Bunny" (1948) where Bugs says he's jumping out of the crow's nest and yells for for Yosemite Sam to catch him. Bugs drops an anvil instead of jumping and, of course, Sam catches it which causes the boat to immediately sink to the bottom. Sam looks puzzled/confused, takes a step to the railing and tosses the anvil overboard which causes the ship to immediately pop back to the surface. Great stuff!
Old 08-10-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
If you have access to Hoopla, they have some Anime movies available for free streaming. They have a Roku app for watching on your TV.

They recently added:

Okko's Inn
Penguin Highway
Perfect Blue
Maquia
Lu Over The Wall
Castle of Cagliostro
In This Corner of the World
Liz and the Blue Bird
Fireworks
I've heard good things about Penguin Highway (2018). Perfect Blue (1997) is a classic thriller/horror movie. Castle of Cagliostro (1979) is full of boundless charms. Lu Over The Wall (2017) is supposed to be goofy fun. Maquia (2018) - a fantasy tearjerker. Not sure about the rest, but if they're anything like the ones I've mentioned, they should be good watches.

If I remember correctly, you only get two or three movie checkouts a month on Hoopla, so choose wisely.
Old 08-10-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I broke down and also watched The Secret Life of Pets (2016). I picked up that one thinking the grandkids might like it but they've never asked for it. It's a pretty straight forward buddy pic with animals with the requisite pop culture references and music. It was about what I expected after seeing a few promos when it was in theaters. I didn't much care for it.
Old 08-10-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Coyoteblue,

Finished watching Thunderbolt Fantasy: The Sword of Life and Death. I’m pretty sure you were the one that suggested the show in last year Challenge. I’ll probably watch S2 during this month too.
Old 08-10-19, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Coyoteblue,

Finished watching Thunderbolt Fantasy: The Sword of Life and Death. I’m pretty sure you were the one that suggested the show in last year Challenge. I’ll probably watch S2 during this month too.
There will be a season three, but we probably won't see it until December maybe.
Old 08-10-19, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Between my mom’s birthday being today, and my niece getting married today, it was a busy day for our family today. All I wanted to do when we got home was sleep. So I didn’t get much viewing in today. It was after 11 when I finally woke up and got some viewings in.
Old 08-11-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

I'll have to check this out!

I just finished a first time veiwing of Disney's The Jungle Book (2016). I really like the original and wasn't sure how I'd feel about this live action/cgi mash up. I was surprised that I really enjoyed it although I prefer the music from the original. It's pretty intense in several spots so I don't know how well it would work for small kids but at 7/8 you're gold. Part of me wishes I'd waited to watch it with my grandkids - especially the 8yo. I think she'd really enjoy it.
I wasn't blown away by this one. The visuals were great but eh. I'm kind of wishing that if Disney had to redo these classics, that they'd redo them with a twist. They are publishing "Twisted Tales" books where they take the original story and then either add a twist to the ending and going from there or just redoing the story. They are a lot more interesting than just a remake. Aladdin's remake kind of did this but the book's story was 100 times better. Since they own the book concept, not sure why they aren't taking advantage and doing something interesting with the movie as well!

I broke down and also watched The Secret Life of Pets (2016). I picked up that one thinking the grandkids might like it but they've never asked for it. It's a pretty straight forward buddy pic with animals with the requisite pop culture references and music. It was about what I expected after seeing a few promos when it was in theaters. I didn't much care for it.
I found this one pretty boring too. Nothing exciting. Doubt I'll go out of my way to see the sequel either.
Old 08-12-19, 07:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Have a busy rest of the month planned, and probably won’t watch any TV at all, so banged out my checklist already. Wish I had time to watch more, as Animation is probably my favorite “genre”.

Enjoyed almost everything I watched, some quick comments follow. Continued my slow crawl thru Rick and Morty, the second best show on television. Amazon’s attempt at Rocky and Bullwinkle comes close to the frenetic original. Son of Zorn is something I want to watch more of when I find it for free. The latest Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode was fun. Only three episodes into Attack on Titan and happy for more. Home on the Range was middling Disney. The newish Mickey Mouse shorts are brilliant and hilarious. Sherlock Gnomes put me to sleep. Clash-A-Rama! is much better than i expected. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was great. Netflix’s new Ultraman is intriguing. Finally watched my first Rocko’s Modern Life and liked it. Teen Titans Go! and the Justice League Action shorts always bring a smile.
Old 08-12-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Have a busy rest of the month planned, and probably won’t watch any TV at all, so banged out my checklist already. Wish I had time to watch more, as Animation is probably my favorite “genre”.

Enjoyed almost everything I watched, some quick comments follow. Continued my slow crawl thru Rick and Morty, the second best show on television. Amazon’s attempt at Rocky and Bullwinkle comes close to the frenetic original. Son of Zorn is something I want to watch more of when I find it for free. The latest Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode was fun. Only three episodes into Attack on Titan and happy for more. Home on the Range was middling Disney. The newish Mickey Mouse shorts are brilliant and hilarious. Sherlock Gnomes put me to sleep. Clash-A-Rama! is much better than i expected. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was great. Netflix’s new Ultraman is intriguing. Finally watched my first Rocko’s Modern Life and liked it. Teen Titans Go! and the Justice League Action shorts always bring a smile.
I absolutely detest the Amazon version of Rocky and Bullwinkle. It's nothing like the original. I showed it to my 12 yo granddaughter, a huge R&B fan, and she said "This is supposed to be Moose and Squirrel?? Yuck!" It reminds me of modern cartoons full of ADHD action and mean-spirited "friendships."
Old 08-12-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, you got quite a bit of watching in such a short time! I think I need to try to fit in that Spider-Man movie. I keep hearing good things about it.

I finished Jonny Quest last night. Really enjoyed watching all the episodes. No new ones which I was kind of hoping, but there were a couple of ones I have only seen once or twice. I enjoyed the newer versions when they aired, but this one is still my favorite of them. Now, I just need to figure out what to watch next! I'm busy today and tomorrow, but after that, I get a 3 week break where I hope to get some good watches in.

Old 08-12-19, 03:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I absolutely detest the Amazon version of Rocky and Bullwinkle. It's nothing like the original. I showed it to my 12 yo granddaughter, a huge R&B fan, and she said "This is supposed to be Moose and Squirrel?? Yuck!" It reminds me of modern cartoons full of ADHD action and mean-spirited "friendships."
Hmmm, I love the original, but it’s been awhile. Miss the other shows mixed in, and only saw the first two short episodes, but it seemed like it had a similar energy and humor. If I ever watch more, I’ll approach it with fear and apprehension, hoping to not cement another rare show that we disagree on!
Wow, you got quite a bit of watching in such a short time! I think I need to try to fit in that Spider-Man movie. I keep hearing good things about it.
Most of my ~40 watches this month were 5-22 minutes in length, so not too much actually. Hoping to make time to squeeze in some more from my free month of Showtime, and my first ever viewing of Song of the South though! But first, buy a new car, and catch up on my reading backlog.
Old 08-13-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I watched The Lego Ninjago Movie as it was on Netflix. I have seen a few episodes here and there as my godsons loved the series. So I was familiar with the show. It was okay and I'm glad that I have cut down on my purchasing of physical media as years past, I would have probably bought the Blu-ray and regret it afterwards.
They really hammer down the theme of the absentee father and it gets annoying after the first 30 minutes.

Also watched Ralph Breaks the Internet and I liked it. I still think that the first one is better but there are some great scenes in this movie involving Disney Princesses that made me chuckle.

I should have known better than to watch the Enter the Anime documentary on Netflix. Let's just call it for what it is, an Informecial for Netflix exclusive anime shows. Netflix is all in with their push on Anime but they need to handle it better as their whole subtitle debacle on "Neon Genesis Evangelion" brought a bad light on their acquisition of the show.
Old 08-14-19, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmmm, I love the original, but it’s been awhile. Miss the other shows mixed in, and only saw the first two short episodes, but it seemed like it had a similar energy and humor. If I ever watch more, I’ll approach it with fear and apprehension, hoping to not cement another rare show that we disagree on!
Most of my ~40 watches this month were 5-22 minutes in length, so not too much actually. Hoping to make time to squeeze in some more from my free month of Showtime, and my first ever viewing of Song of the South though! But first, buy a new car, and catch up on my reading backlog.
Hey, we don't judge on time here! You'll have to share what you think of Song of the South. I've watched it once and it may be time for a re-watch. I've debated about showing it to my nieces because I know I'm the only way they'd likely be able to see it. I def. need the rewatch myself first though. I do remember thinking that compared to movies like Gone With the Wind, that Disney was overreacting by banning the film rather than admitting that while the movie is indicative of the time it was made and saying that they've learned to do better or hold it as an example of what not to do. By ignoring it, I feel like they're ignoring their history. They are not a perfect company and by pretending they never made Song, they're trying to whitewash their film making history.

I watched The Lego Ninjago Movie as it was on Netflix. I have seen a few episodes here and there as my godsons loved the series. So I was familiar with the show. It was okay and I'm glad that I have cut down on my purchasing of physical media as years past, I would have probably bought the Blu-ray and regret it afterwards.
They really hammer down the theme of the absentee father and it gets annoying after the first 30 minutes..
I have to admit, I am not a Lego movie fan. I've only watched a couple of them, but they just don't do a lot for me. I'm a big fan of Lego kits and I almost feel like I should like the movies, but they just don't click for me.

Old 08-14-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, we don't judge on time here! You'll have to share what you think of Song of the South. I've watched it once and it may be time for a re-watch. I've debated about showing it to my nieces because I know I'm the only way they'd likely be able to see it. I def. need the rewatch myself first though. I do remember thinking that compared to movies like Gone With the Wind, that Disney was overreacting by banning the film rather than admitting that while the movie is indicative of the time it was made and saying that they've learned to do better or hold it as an example of what not to do. By ignoring it, I feel like they're ignoring their history. They are not a perfect company and by pretending they never made Song, they're trying to whitewash their film making history.
I've not seen Song of the South since I was a kid. I can't even tell you where it was I saw it but that it was enjoyable. Disney overreacts to everything. But then I've recently watched Amos 'n Andy for the first time since its original airings and found it quite good and funny. I just don't see what's wrong with that one at all. Replace the actors with an all white cast, don't change anything else and it'd be the same show - just as funny, just as good. In many ways it reminds me of The Honeymooners with better production and more diverse stories. As you said, Gone with the Wind is "worse" but it, too, is a mirror of its time, like it or not.
I have to admit, I am not a Lego movie fan. I've only watched a couple of them, but they just don't do a lot for me. I'm a big fan of Lego kits and I almost feel like I should like the movies, but they just don't click for me.
I like *some* of those. I do not like The Lego Movie because of the ending. Saw it in the theater and that ending completely took me out of the film and fun. The Batman Lego Movie is quite good as are a few of the others (I have a Jurassic one and a Scooby Doo one unwatched) but they're best viewed in scattered doses.
Old 08-15-19, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I’ve been busy lately, so haven’t had much time for watching. I’m planning to spend more time on this Challenge the rest of the month however. I still have a lot that I can watch. Whether it be documentaries, movies or cartoon series, I have a lot to choose from. I just finished another documentary series about dinosaurs called Planet Dinosaur ​​​​​​. It was quite similar to Walking With Dinosaurs in that the entire episodes were focused on showing how they lived.
Old 08-16-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget! Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus (2019) started streaming on Netflix today. And if you haven't seen it, Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling (2019) has been streaming on Netflix since last weekend.
Old 08-16-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last night I was in the mood for a kaiju film, so while browsing my discs I came across my Rebirth Of Mothra trilogy. I was reminded of a time where a friend of mine would rp life on Monster Island, so I decided to watch the first movie. Earlier in the day I finished disc 2 of Transformers Headmasters. I wonder if Headmasters kept some US Characters so that fans of the first series wouldn’t feel so lost. I know in the later series those characters disappear. For instance, Galvatron is still leader of the Decepticons in Headmasters, and at the beginning, Optimus Prime and later Rodimus Prime led the Autobots.
Old 08-17-19, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My middle granddaughter (8yo) and I watched about half of Shaun the Sheep - S2 yesterday. Those are quite fun and often quite clever.
Old 08-17-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched Mary and the Witch's Flower tonight and really enjoyed it. While not from the Studio Ghibli, it is of the same quality. I believe the director was one of the lead animators for Ghibli at one point, but could be remembering wrong. If you like Kiki's Delivery Service, I think you'd enjoy this one too, though the stories are quite different save the magical connection.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.