Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

12th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 08:34 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: 12th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

I have been watching the last two "seasons" of X-Files and they've been pretty good so far. Much better than seasons 8 and 9 (I have blocked out season 9 totally). But last night I saw an episode from seasons 11, The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat, and it's one of the best episodes I've ever seen. It's a comedy one and very political, and I loved it. This one episode makes the entire revival worth it for me.
Old 07-19-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Yesterday was the best... and worst...

I watched the Olive Signature Edition BR of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956), one of my all-time favorite SF movies. They did a superb job on this one. It looks and sounds better than I've ever seen. I have a BR upgrade of the later 70s remake in the wings. I like it too but not quite as much as the original. I also enjoy the 80s version. But I never want to see the 2007 film again if I can help it...

Then one of the worst movies of the 50s - From Hell It Came (1957) - and a BR no less! See a man turned into a walking tree stump! Watch in awe as it lumbers along with its victims, unable to be stopped! As they said in the movie: "And to hell it can go!" Bad and cheesy. Just needs a horror host to make it perfect.
Old 07-19-19, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Then one of the worst movies of the 50s - From Hell It Came (1957) - and a BR no less! See a man turned into a walking tree stump! Watch in awe as it lumbers along with its victims, unable to be stopped! As they said in the movie: "And to hell it can go!" Bad and cheesy. Just needs a horror host to make it perfect.
Awesome!

Old 07-19-19, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Just turned on:

Old 07-20-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched Starship Troopers: Invasion (2012) and Allegiant (2016) last night. Neither were particularly good.

I didn't realize "...Invasion" was animated until it started or may have held it for the end of the challenge. I've seen all of the movies in this franchise, live action, CGI, and animated. The Animated ones tend to be the best but none are close to the book from which the franchise gets its name. They generally take the "bugs," character names, and some terminology but leave behind the time dilation and social aspects of the novel - and those issues are a major portion of the book. Oh well... at least they tend to have good visuals and deliver on the cheese/action aspects.

Allegiant was a truly weak ending to a middlin' franchise. Much of it was quite laughable with huge lapses in logic.

I followed those by starting Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda on BR. I'd watched S1 on DVD some time back and really liked it but the rest of the seasons were OOP and it looked like the best option was a region free BR set from Amazon UK. Of course as soon as it comes in the series gets a re-release on DVD in a complete series set. No matter... the BR was the same price as the new DVD set so there's that. I'm a few episodes in and it's still enjoyable.
Old 07-20-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

​​​​​I hope I still get a chance to see Captain Marvel tomorrow night. Bad weather hitting Wisconsin the past couple days, and tonight’s movie has already been canceled on account of the weather. Still have Planes: Fire And Rescue on Tuesday if tomorrow falls through however.
Old 07-20-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I watched Love, Death, & Robots over the last couple of days and really enjoyed it. It was like the tv equivalent of a really good multi-author sci-fi/horror anthology book. Lots of different styles and story types. And if I didn't care for one story it wasn't long until the next one. So much of tv storytelling these days is filled with bloat ... stretch out a short story idea to a movie and stretch out a novel's idea to a season (or multiple seasons). It was very refreshing to have ideas condensed to 10-15 minutes (even if it left you wanting more from the ones you liked). I knew about David Fincher's involvement, but I didn't realize how many of the episodes were based on short stories by authors I was familiar with (like Peter Hamilton, John Scalzi, Joe Lansdale, Alastair Reynolds). Considering all of the great stories out there (and how well-done the animation was) I'm definitely excited at the prospects of a second season.
Old 07-20-19, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
​​​​​I hope I still get a chance to see Captain Marvel tomorrow night. Bad weather hitting Wisconsin the past couple days, and tonight’s movie has already been canceled on account of the weather. Still have Planes: Fire And Rescue on Tuesday if tomorrow falls through however.
Hope you survived! I know there was one in Appleton area a few hours ago, so I hoped it passed! We got hit last night, have a bit of a tornado warning party in our basement with the neighbors, but other than some trees down, no damage.

Back home now so I hope to ramp up the watching again. Only saw one last week. Going to put in The Invisible Man here in a minute. Have to admit that it's a first time watch for me. The set I rented is the Legacy Collection, so there are at least 2 or 3 other movies too, so I'll likely watch those as well.
Old 07-20-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LJG765
Hope you survived! I know there was one in Appleton area a few hours ago, so I hoped it passed! We got hit last night, have a bit of a tornado warning party in our basement with the neighbors, but other than some trees down, no damage.
We've been blessed with absolutely no warnings this year. Spring brings as many as 1 per week many years. My daughter lives across the street from me so if things get bad she and the kids come over and hang out in the basement. At least now they have to rely on my computer for "news" as my TV is no longer connected to anything but a game system and BR player so there's no having to watch live weather people and their typically alarmist reports.

Back home now so I hope to ramp up the watching again. Only saw one last week. Going to put in The Invisible Man here in a minute. Have to admit that it's a first time watch for me. The set I rented is the Legacy Collection, so there are at least 2 or 3 other movies too, so I'll likely watch those as well.
The Invisible Man is absolutely the best movie in that collection. It's a classic. You'll be amazed at the quality of the visual effects.

It's worth watching the other movies but, IMHO, they're mostly forgettable and are not true sequels. The best of that lot is The Invisible Man Returns which, in spite of the name, has nothing to do with the first movie. It stars Vincent Price who does the voice of The Invisible Man at the end of Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein.

If you got the SS disc version of The Legacy Collection it'll include Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man. It's a pretty good installment in the "A&C Meet" series of horror/comedy movies.
Old 07-20-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Today brought another odd mix of stuff. I started with a few more episodes of Andromeda and followed them with a first time viewing of Space Battleship Yamato (2010). I'm not a fan of anime at all and really purchased this one due to reviews and some trailers which showed the incredible visuals. Visually it's excellent and frequently over-the-top with what's on the screen. Script wise it's a bit of a standard story. Guy who seems to be a slackard is really a former fighter pilot and squadron leader who rejoins to go on a special mission with a special ship that's been constructed in secret to get a device they hope will save the planet. The Earth has been under attack from aliens and is radioactive with people being forced to live underground to escape the radiation. It's a rather standard, cliche',' redemption story. It's acted well, looks very good, and generally works well enough. I'd hoped to like it better.

The Exterminators of the Year 3000 (1983) was next. It's a rather standard "Mad Max" ripoff movie. This time it's a battle for water. A small community knows where there's a secret cache and a group of renegades wants it. Typical chases and battles ensue. There's a kid... with a cybernetic arm... Some of the actors and costumes look like they were lifted directly from a "Mad Max" movie. It's enjoyable enough but doesn't really offer anything new.
Old 07-20-19, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We've been blessed with absolutely no warnings this year. Spring brings as many as 1 per week many years. My daughter lives across the street from me so if things get bad she and the kids come over and hang out in the basement. At least now they have to rely on my computer for "news" as my TV is no longer connected to anything but a game system and BR player so there's no having to watch live weather people and their typically alarmist reports.
We didn't have TV news in the basement either and upstairs is satellite, so that was out either way. We made due with our cells, but were starting to get bad reception too. We usually bring a little weather radio but forgot it this year. I would have to disagree about alarmist reports though...2 tornadoes went through to the east of us and we had really bad winds that could have easily turned on us. I wonder if more people listened to the warnings and actually took shelter, if they would tone down the alarms.

The Invisible Man is absolutely the best movie in that collection. It's a classic. You'll be amazed at the quality of the visual effects.

It's worth watching the other movies but, IMHO, they're mostly forgettable and are not true sequels. The best of that lot is The Invisible Man Returns which, in spite of the name, has nothing to do with the first movie. It stars Vincent Price who does the voice of The Invisible Man at the end of Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein.

If you got the SS disc version of The Legacy Collection it'll include Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man. It's a pretty good installment in the "A&C Meet" series of horror/comedy movies.
I did enjoy The Invisible Man. Was a nice watch. Enjoyed the bicycle going and the log going in. Was prepared for some wire sightings, but didn't spot any. I was impressed with that! Unfortunately, the set I have does not have the A&C movie. I do own the Frankenstein set that has the one you mentioned and had hoped it was on this one, but it has: The Invisible Man Returns, The Invisible Woman, Invisible Agent and The Invisible Man's Revenge. It does make sense they had to get a different actor since they did make it hard for the original one to reprise his role. I'll see how good/bad these "sequels" are before I decide to watch the rest, I guess. But I like to finish a series when I can.

Spoiler:
Okay, I'm confused. They killed off the Invisible Man/Griffin, but now he's in jail and alive? I think I missed something!

Edit 2: Still not sure why the new Invisible Man was called Griffin at the jail scene, but it's his brother.

Last edited by LJG765; 07-20-19 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-20-19, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did enjoy The Invisible Man. Was a nice watch. Enjoyed the bicycle going and the log going in. Was prepared for some wire sightings, but didn't spot any. I was impressed with that! Unfortunately, the set I have does not have the A&C movie. I do own the Frankenstein set that has the one you mentioned and had hoped it was on this one, but it has: The Invisible Man Returns, The Invisible Woman, Invisible Agent and The Invisible Man's Revenge. It does make sense they had to get a different actor since they did make it hard for the original one to reprise his role. I'll see how good/bad these "sequels" are before I decide to watch the rest, I guess. But I like to finish a series when I can.
I wouldn't call any of them "bad" - just rather forgettable. Bland if you will. Nothing really stands out. In spite of that they're mostly enjoyable with The Invisible Woman more of a comedy and has several well known actors in roles. I'd put it as my #3 with Returns being #2.
Spoiler:
Okay, I'm confused. They killed off the Invisible Man/Griffin, but now he's in jail and alive? I think I missed something!

Edit 2: Still not sure why the new Invisible Man was called Griffin at the jail scene, but it's his brother.
IIRC, that's the only time it'll make any attempt to make it a sequel to the first movie and it's tenuous at best. Griffin is their last name. The "Invisible Man" in the first movie is Dr. Jack Griffin (but they call him John here).
Spoiler:

His brother is Dr. Frank Griffin, but he's not "the invisible man" but the scientist who injects Sir Geoffrey Radcliffe (Vincent Price) with the formula turning *him* invisible to get him out of the jail cell.

I didn't mention about the first movie that it was Claude Rains' first American film appearance. The producers had wanted Boris Karloff for the role but he withdrew after Carl Laemmle Jr. attempted one too many times to reduce his contracted salary. James Whale, the director, wanted, and got, Rains. I think Rains is better in the role than Karloff would have been.
Old 07-20-19, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't call any of them "bad" - just rather forgettable. Bland if you will. Nothing really stands out. In spite of that they're mostly enjoyable with The Invisible Woman more of a comedy and has several well known actors in roles. I'd put it as my #3 with Returns being #2.

IIRC, that's the only time it'll make any attempt to make it a sequel to the first movie and it's tenuous at best. Griffin is their last name. The "Invisible Man" in the first movie is Dr. Jack Griffin (but they call him John here).
Spoiler:

His brother is Dr. Frank Griffin, but he's not "the invisible man" but the scientist who injects Sir Geoffrey Radcliffe (Vincent Price) with the formula turning *him* invisible to get him out of the jail cell.
I eventually figured out who was what. I must have missed something right in the beginning. I'm almost finished with Invisible Woman and the original is pretty good, but I'm actually kind of enjoying the silliness of Woman. That bent shot gun! The butler is a bit annoying, just too over-the-top, but it's definitely made me laugh a few times.
Old 07-21-19, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I got into Green Bay tonight with some fits and starts LJG. Chicago OHare was shut down for hours as the storms moved through. That helped me out though, as my flight out of Chicago was delayed too
Old 07-21-19, 07:40 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

working my way through the four film set of Indiana Jones. I forgot just how much fun Raiders of the Lost Ark is.
Old 07-21-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I got into Green Bay tonight with some fits and starts LJG. Chicago OHare was shut down for hours as the storms moved through. That helped me out though, as my flight out of Chicago was delayed too
Glad you made it and the flights worked out!
Old 07-21-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I eventually figured out who was what. I must have missed something right in the beginning. I'm almost finished with Invisible Woman and the original is pretty good, but I'm actually kind of enjoying the silliness of Woman. That bent shot gun! The butler is a bit annoying, just too over-the-top, but it's definitely made me laugh a few times.
It's been over a year since I last watched Returns but I don't think you missed anything. IIRC it's intentionally rather confusing to help make the connection to the first movie feel more plausible (the "brother" wasn't mentioned in the first at all...).

Woman is quite a bit of fun.

In spite of my comments about the supporting movies in this series being "rather forgettable" I'd still prefer to watch any of them over many SF movies made in the last 20 or so years (maybe even longer). But that also plays into my general preference for older, pre 1970 SF movies over post 1970 SF movies.
Old 07-21-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
working my way through the four film set of Indiana Jones. I forgot just how much fun Raiders of the Lost Ark is.
IMHO all 4 movies in that series are great fun.... I tend to forget just how annoying Kate Capshaw is in Temple of Doom. I get the impression Spielberg's direction to her for almost every scene was "scream and don't stop until I say cut." But I forgive it as the rest is just so much fun!
Old 07-21-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's been over a year since I last watched Returns but I don't think you missed anything. IIRC it's intentionally rather confusing to help make the connection to the first movie feel more plausible (the "brother" wasn't mentioned in the first at all...).

Woman is quite a bit of fun.

In spite of my comments about the supporting movies in this series being "rather forgettable" I'd still prefer to watch any of them over many SF movies made in the last 20 or so years (maybe even longer). But that also plays into my general preference for older, pre 1970 SF movies over post 1970 SF movies.
Good to know. I tend to multitask watching films, but I always focus on the first part so I know the setup for sure. Honestly, I've seen less effort tying movies together so at least they tried...

I mentioned earlier that I'm not a horror fan, but over the last 5-8 years of doing these challenges, I've discovered the older horror films (40s-60s) are ones I enjoy. I'm sure I'm generalizing, but more modern ones that I've watched are all about the jump scares, blood and gore. None of which I truly enjoy. But older ones are much more my speed. There is usually at least some plot. There are sometimes scares, but they are more designed to be mental then visually gross. So I totally agree with you about preferring these Invisible Man films over anything more modern!
Old 07-21-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My last viewing yesterday was Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978). While I enjoyed it I didn't feel the love for it this time as I have in the past. I wonder if that had anything to do with the close proximity of viewing to the original film. I *do* like the original better but this one is very, very good (IMHO one of the best remakes ever produced).

One of my favorite scenes in this remake is Kevin McCarthy's cameo running down the street, slamming into the car carrying Donald Sutherland and Brooke Adams, yelling "They're here already! You're next! You're next!" and running off.
Old 07-21-19, 07:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

how do we count short films or videos that are under TV 30 min. shows?
Old 07-21-19, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
how do we count short films or videos that are under TV 30 min. shows?
Everything is 1:1, no matter the length. Watch a 13 min. silent film? It counts as one watch. 23 min. TV show? One watch.

The exception is for sci-fi/fantasy radio/audio content which is described fully in the rules. That was there before I took up hosting the challenge, though, so I'm willing to change them for next year if people would like.
Old 07-21-19, 07:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Everything is 1:1, no matter the length. Watch a 13 min. silent film? It counts as one watch. 23 min. TV show? One watch.

The exception is for sci-fi/fantasy radio/audio content which is described fully in the rules. That was there before I took up hosting the challenge, though, so I'm willing to change them for next year if people would like.
oh thanks, I have a DVD audio only version of 'The War of the Worlds' I'm meaning to listen to at some point this coming week.
Old 07-21-19, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So I'm going to do a little cross promotion here...just posted the threads for next month's Animation Challenge. Year 10!

List thread here.

Discussion thread here.

Originally Posted by Giles
oh thanks, I have a DVD audio only version of 'The War of the Worlds' I'm meaning to listen to at some point this coming week.
You're welcome!
Old 07-21-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finished the last two films in the Invisible Man series. The first one was pretty farcical, Invisible Agent. It didn't know if it was a horror/mystery film or a comedy. Peter Lorre was in it very recognizably. It was, however, better than the next one, The Invisible Man's Revenge. This one made no sense. It was the worst of the five. Overall, it was watchable, but I doubt I'd ever want to watch it again where I would watch The Invisible Woman again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.