Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-18, 06:43 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I've been trying to decide/remember what three zombie movies are favorites of mine. Dawn of the Dead is one but I feel like using it would be 'cheating.' The ones that immediately come to mind other than the classics are:

[Rec] 2
Dead Within
What We Become
I haven't seen What We Become. Need to watch that one. I really liked Cargo (2017) if you haven't caught it.
Old 10-21-18, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Trying to tick off the different language option this year with languages I've never seen a film from before. It lead me to discover Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil (2017)...it's in basque and just a creepy, gothic tale from basque folklore.
Old 10-21-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Has anybody here seen Darkest Minds (2018)? The gf wants to check it out tonight with her kids. IMDB lists Thriller/Sci-fi. Think it counts?
Old 10-21-18, 11:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Has anybody here seen Darkest Minds (2018)? The gf wants to check it out tonight with her kids. IMDB lists Thriller/Sci-fi. Think it counts?
Fwiw, it’s got a “supernatural thriller” tag at allmovie; that tag is always close enough for me. Let us know if it’s any good.
Old 10-21-18, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'll break the current tie. I'd heard so much about this one that when I found it on Amazon Prime streaming I added it to my queue and watched it a few days ago. It was simply awful. Had it not been for the challenge I'd have not finished it. I gave it 3/10 and felt I was being a bit generous.
Back to a tie because that movie is a classic, sir. I even have the opening song in my running mix.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0PvfLP66V0U?start=15" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-21-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Breaking the tie again. It's always been a favorite of mine.
Old 10-21-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
And breaking THAT tie--it's a moronic movie that, unfortunately, ending up setting the tone for all future Troma films.
Old 10-21-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
And breaking THAT tie--it's a moronic movie that, unfortunately, ending up setting the tone for all future Troma films.
All I can say it that I sure hope the government doesn't ship nuclear waste in this manner....
Old 10-21-18, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

For those that watched Apostle, I have a minor question:
Spoiler:
what was the deal with that freaky Silent Hill looking monster that popped up? Psycho minion of the cult or was it a supernatural creation of the "goddess"?

By the way, I enjoyed the movie. It probably ran a bit long, but it was a well-made movie that built up well and ultimately delivered IMO. A nice addition to the sub-genre of isolated villages with evil cults (and their dark god). One little twist this movie did to that formula was:
Spoiler:
that the "god" seemed like it may have been a benign "Mother Earth" sort, but was just exploited (and imprisoned) by the cult leaders. And I thought it was nifty ending with the main hero putting the "god" out of her misery and ultimately getting the powers of life and renewal she had to keep the island alive.
Old 10-21-18, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

One final reminder for trivia question #2 before posting #3 tonight, which might be a little later than usual...

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Chad

Sunday Night Trivia Question #2

It's back with a vengeance and even easier the second time around. On October 1, 2018 we celebrated the 50th anniversary release date of "Night of the Living Dead", and it gave birth to the modern zombie film.

Name 3 of your favorite modern (post NOTLD) zombie films.

That's it. There are no right or wrong answers. Randomly drawn.

You're playing for the very well-stacked HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #2:

Spoiler:

- Bram Stoker's Shadowbuilder
- Psychos In Love
- A Woman's Torment
- Orgy of the Dead
- The Corpse Grinders
- Prey
- Blood Hook
- Malatesta's Carnival of Blood
- What Have They Done To Your Daughters?
- Scalpel
- The Gore Gore Girls
- The Gruesome Twosome
- Two Thousand Maniacs!
- The Hammer Horror Series
- The Green Inferno: The Director's Cut
- Frankenhooker
- Wicked, Wicked
- Pure Terror
- Psycho Complete 4-Movie Collection
- Blumhouse 8 Movie Horror Collection

Courtesy of...

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

Contest is open until next Sunday's trivia question begins.

Good luck.

Old 10-21-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gobear
If you liked Bloodthirsty Bastards in previous challenges, you'll like The Night Watchmen on Shudder. It's about a quartet of fumbling night watchmen in a newspaper building who have to fight off a wave of vampires created by vampire clowns. It's rude, it's gory, it's funny, it's really dumb, and a lot of fun. I enjoyed it a lot.
You mean Bloodsucking Bastards?

Speaking of Bloodthirsty, I'm about to start the third film in the Toho trilogy. Really digging the way they mix atmospheric Italian Gothic horror with the cool demeanor the studio was known for back then, and with a bit of a Hammer feel to it. Extremely creepy vampire in The Vampire Doll, too.
Old 10-21-18, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Another person who went to go see the new Halloween last night. I really enjoyed it and definitely would recommend it. It was interesting to see Laurie Strode all grown up. I thought the direction they went with the story made a lot of sense. There were also many nods to the original, as you would expect since it's a continuation, but I even thought one of the killings might have been a nod to Zombie's take on the story (specifically one of the killings seemed straight from his Halloween II). The theater was packed. I wonder how it will end up doing this weekend and if it will have legs. Word of mouth seems strong.

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Originally Posted by Trevor
Fwiw, it’s got a “supernatural thriller” tag at allmovie; that tag is always close enough for me. Let us know if it’s any good.
I went along with a couple who are friends of mine when they took their 12-year-old daughter to see it last month. I didn't find it to be horror at all. It was more like a YA X-Men with a few other familiar tropes thrown in. Weird that it would have a supernatural tag. It never struck me as such.

I didn't care for it, but the girl who went (the target audience) really liked it and my friends enjoyed it more than I did. I guess your mileage my vary.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
If we're keeping count, I like Toxic Avenger. I introduced it to a friend of mine this year. It always feels a little dicey when you introduce someone to a Troma film. Reactions can vary, to say the least. She laughed a lot and ended up really enjoying it.
Old 10-21-18, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And the winner of the second trivia question is...

EdTheRipper

Congratulations! You're now the owner of the HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #2:

Spoiler:

Courtesy of...

The top three answers given were:
  1. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
  2. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
  3. The Return of the Living Dead (1985)

Honorable mention: 28 Days Later (2002)

Old 10-21-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

In my quest to complete the checklist, I've watched a couple of things typically outside of my usual viewing: Terror Firmer (my first Troma movie) and City of the Living Dead (my first Fulci). Last year, I read Lloyd Kaufman's book, and this Terror Firmer is the flick a friend lent me since it's "based" on the book. While I found parts of both really effective, I cannot say that I loved either or am eager to watch more of either filmography. However, I'm always open to recommendations. So are there any other Troma or Fulci films that I should see?

Edit: As I was typing this, the winner was announced so congrats to you!
Old 10-21-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sunday Night Trivia Question: The Third Chapter + Bonus Giveaway

Twenty five years ago this Thursday (10/25/1993) we lost the horror icon Vincent Price.

Name 3 of your favorite Vincent Price films.

That's it. There are no right or wrong answers. Randomly drawn.

You're playing for the very well-stacked HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #3:

Spoiler:

- 5 Years - 5 Films: Horror and Exploitation
- Blood Beat
- Lucifer's Women
- Grave Robbers
- Terror
- Blood Theatre
- The Witch Who Came From the Sea
- Malatesta's Carnival of Blood
- Horrors of Malformed Men
- The Baby
- House
- House II
- Season of the Witch
- The Hammer Horror Series
- The Green Inferno: The Director's Cut
- Frankenhooker
- Wicked, Wicked
- Pure Terror 50 Movies
- Psycho Complete 4-Movie Collection
- Blumhouse 8 Movie Horror Collection

Courtesy of...

The Bonus Giveaway

As we approach Frankenstein Friday (10/26), a celebration for the 200th anniversary of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein novel will be the main focus.

Name 3 of your favorite Frankenstein film adaptations.

Again, there are no right or wrong answers. Randomly drawn.

You're playing for the item of your choice from one of our remaining four sponsors - Celluloid Terror, Synapse Films, Cult Epics or Vinegar Syndrome!

Courtesy of...

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

Contest is open until next Sunday's trivia question begins.

Good luck.

Old 10-21-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

So it that one entry for both contests or two separate entries?
Old 10-21-18, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Either's fine. It just means no multiple entries for any individual giveaway.
Old 10-21-18, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Congratulations, Ed.
Old 10-22-18, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Congrats ed

Day 16

Day 17
Old 10-22-18, 12:22 AM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

This week's $3.99 Arrow sale at iTunes:

The Black Cat
Blood Rage
Brain Damage
Deep Red
Donnie Darko
Evil Ed
Lake of Dracula
The Mutilator
Re-Animator
Scalpel
Old 10-22-18, 01:54 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations Ed!

Wow, I can't believe I haven't chimed in since before the start of the challenge... things have been crazy and it wasn't until this week that I was able to watch a bit more (I still have very low numbers...). Next week should be much better, so long as I don't have to go on a last-minute business trip, so keeping my fingers crossed that I can stay home and watch more movies!

Wow, didn't expect the banner to be that tough. Sorry, wasn't intentional.
I loved the banner this year! This was definitely a tough one, and for the first time, I found less titles this year than last. But I had a blast looking through this banner, and it's a highlight every year!

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I got Basket Case on DVD but wasn't sure if it was worth playing or not. Might have to take a dive into it now.
I love Basket Case. Did you end up watching it? I got the new Arrow BD, and have to check that out - I've only heard good things about the new restoration.

Originally Posted by jholmes
The cannibal films are always a mixed bag for me. I liked the story set-up and the 70's vibe on Cannibal Ferox. It actually had good characters, and it's interesting to see the use of real indigenous people in the cast. I always like seeing an asshole get his comeuppance. But I dislike all the animal killing for shock value in these films. (Yes, I know it happens in nature. Yes, I am a vegetarian.) It's easier for me to take man-on-man violence in these cannibal films, maybe because I know it's fake. The ending was nicely ironic. (You know NOTHING, Jon Snow!)
I really liked Cannibal Ferox but had really mixed feelings about the ending:
Spoiler:
At first I hated it, because it just seemed so pointless. So much time is spent on this guy looking for his friends, and it all leads to literally nothing. I mean, maybe if the people saw him, but he didn't see them? But there's nothing and it just left me scratching my head. Soon, I found it kind of perfect in its ineptitude.

Also, I 100% agree about the animal killings... I'm usually opposed to watching the cut version of any film, but anytime animals are actually killed, I'll opt for the version of the film that cuts it out (If its available).

What were they thinking with Sleepaway Camp 3?
I was also pretty disappointed by this. I love Sleepaway Camp, and was really surprised by how much I enjoyed Sleepaway Camp 2. I watched Sleepaway Camp 3 right after and couldn't believe how off it felt. This was more surprising considering that 2 and 3 were shot back-to-back (or so I've heard). I wonder what went wrong?
That being said, I still enjoy it, but I definitely don't watch it as much as 1 and 2.

Did anyone watch Return to Sleepaway Camp?

Damn... looking forward to checking new Halloween out; and Suspiria remake.
I really wish Suspiria was coming out in October, but looks like it's only NY/LA and everywhere else in November...

Originally Posted by Trevor
Watching a Shudder exclusive right now called Terrified. It’s living up to its name. Pausing until daylight, ‘night all!
Terrified, available on Shudder, is a pretty great horror film with a lot going on and some bizarre eye candy. I'm glad this was mentioned because it's a standout.
Edit: Not to be confused with Terrifier, which I did not like as much.
With the praise from Chad, Trevor and Undeadcow, Terrified has moved to the top of my queue.

That does indeed suck. Normally I'm not that obsessed with them, but I had them all up until now and, you know ...completest syndrome.
Gothic is the only Vestron title I don't have so far, and I was also planning to buy from DD... may have to consider other options to get that slip as I'm in the same boat regarding being a completist...

I also saw the new Halloween movie over the weekend, and have to echo the sentiment - go see it!

Last edited by cwileyy; 10-22-18 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-22-18, 02:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Also - Universal Classic Monsters 30-Film Collection blu-ray is $69.99 on Amazon right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Classic-Monsters-Complete-Collection/dp/B07DKY35N5/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1540192525&sr=8-3&keywords=universal+classic+monsters+complete+30-film+collection https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Classic-Monsters-Complete-Collection/dp/B07DKY35N5/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1540192525&sr=8-3&keywords=universal+classic+monsters+complete+30-film+collection
Old 10-22-18, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Super excited to have won that prize pack! I kind of hit a bit of a wall this past week with watching things, so this boosts my energy level back up quite a bit. I'm on vacation this week, so I am hoping to squeeze in as many movies as humanly possible.

Thanks to everyone for the words of congratulations.
Old 10-22-18, 06:27 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by cwileyy
Also - Universal Classic Monsters 30-Film Collection blu-ray is $69.99 on Amazon right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cla...ilm+collection
I wonder if the price plummeted due to the revenge of the creature issues? I had heard they are going to reissue the set after it is fixed.
Old 10-22-18, 07:20 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by cwileyy

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cla...ilm+collection
THANK YOU! I've been waiting for this to re-release. $69.99 is a fantastic price. Snagged it!

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I wonder if the price plummeted due to the revenge of the creature issues? I had heard they are going to reissue the set after it is fixed.
It was completely unavailable on Amazon until just now. I tried to pick it up a few weeks ago, even with this issue. And it just wasn't available except through 3rd parties until crazy mark-ups. Now that it's back on Amazon, I hope this is the new re-issue. But either way, it's a great price. And I heard if you had that issue you could get replacement discs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.