Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Even when we have more than one film listed or implied for a theme or subset, only one movie is needed for completion. That's how it has been in the past.

Trevor is always looking for a way to get at least one free pass for a theme day.

I just assume keep things the same. While I agree that completing the themes requires a lot of commitment and is a big challenge, I also think that's the point, but I'll go with the consensus.
Old 09-15-17, 01:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by clckworang
Even when we have more than one film listed or implied for a theme or subset, only one movie is needed for completion. That's how it has been in the past.

Trevor is always looking for a way to get at least one free pass for a theme day.

I just assume keep things the same. While I agree that completing the themes requires a lot of commitment and is a big challenge, I also think that's the point, but I'll go with the consensus.
I'm talking about the subset list, not themes.

And I'm the king of theme compliance, all my views 100% theme compliant many years! The "free passes" are for others to encourage them to participate, and not to give up because they miss a day or two. More participation, more discussion.
Old 09-15-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yes, but I meant wildcard as in watching both of those would give you an extra check if you missed other subsets.
Forgive me, it's Friday morning and it's been a looong week.
Old 09-15-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm talking about the subset list, not themes.

And I'm the king of theme compliance, all my views 100% theme compliant many years! The "free passes" are for others to encourage them to participate, and not to give up because they miss a day or two. More participation, more discussion.
Well, you made reference to if someone misses a day, which isn't relevant for daily subset films, and another mention about if someone a theme or daily subset. It seemed to me you might be pushing for a golden wildcard or something.

And I never said you weren't 100% theme compliant, just that at least the last couple of challenges you've been pushing for ways for people to not have to watch all themes or subset films and still get credit for it. Is that not correct?
Old 09-15-17, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And just a quick addition to my other post. I always find it amusing how much you've pushed for allowing that leniency considering you always go overboard completing everything anyway.
Old 09-15-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

...I imagine some people miss a couple themes, or can't find or refuse to watch a couple subset films, so they give up on the rest and decrease our postings and discussion.
I suppose if people were to comment that they are not participating in subset films because of just one movie they had to rewatch or could somehow not digest this might be a valid point. My own thought is that subsets 'aren't broke so don't fix them.'

If there is some logic that the subset format itself is a barrier to participation there might be some ways to streamline it (weekly not daily films; or 'watch at least 20 subset films') but I'm not a fan of subset change.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-15-17 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-15-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

For what it's worth, the reason I don't do the subsets is I don't want to feel obligated to watch a certain movie. I'm perfectly happy to do at least one theme movie a day, however. I like the freedom of watching what I want to watch, even under the themes.
Old 09-15-17, 03:48 PM

Well, you made reference to if someone misses a day, which isn't relevant for daily subset films, and another mention about if someone a theme or daily subset. It seemed to me you might be pushing for a golden wildcard or something.

And I never said you weren't 100% theme compliant, just that at least the last couple of challenges you've been pushing for ways for people to not have to watch all themes or subset films and still get credit for it. Is that not correct?
Sorry; yes, the subset and themes discussion sorta merges in all these posts.

And yes, that sort of flexibility is something I've been advocating.

While I'll probably always do all 33 (maybe 34 now?) subset films on the actual day, thus completing the optional theme list as well, it looks like those two optional lists aren't used by the majority of participants. So ideas to encourage participation in those are what we're brainstorming here. My ideas/opinions might be wrong, but I'm expressing them because I think they'll increase participation, not that they'll help me personally (other than more participation helping us all!).

On themes, I can easily imagine many people not having the time to watch anything on some days. Life can get crazy, and even finding 15 minutes to find a qualifying short to satisfy a theme might be difficult for someone working a 24 shift or having a family crisis. Giving them two or three wildcard options, that still require watching something, might encourage them to not give up the theme list chase, but to stay active in the themes. The more people watching similar movies on each day gives more chances at discussion.

Similarly on subsets, some people might have slow internet speeds, difficulty finding the films, moral reasons for not using alyxstarr's links, or just hate some choices; so having two or three wildcards would let them still feel like they completed the list, and keep them watching most of the choices, and hopefully commenting in the threads.

The people who want less leniency can still watch all 33, never deviate from themes, complete all y of y on checklists instead of x of y, can watch only full length films and no TV or shorts, or whatever they want to make their Challenge more "pure". But building in some variance and leniency should encourage more participation and conversation, which is really the only true goal, right?
And just a quick addition to my other post. I always find it amusing how much you've pushed for allowing that leniency considering you always go overboard completing everything anyway.
I'm a conundrum wrapped in a mystery, buried in an enigma, and shrouded in secrecy!
Old 09-15-17, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with many of the things Trevor says regarding theme nights. I understand how life can get in the way and how difficult it can be to fit in just one entry on some days, but that's the whole reason why I wouldn't want it changed.

It's a big challenge to get in one entry a day, not to mention ensuring you get at least one entry to match the day's theme. It's the only optional item in the challenge that requires you to watch at least one thing each day. The checklist and subset films can all be completed in as few days as you want. You can sprint through them if you choose. The theme days are the marathon. You need to pace yourself and plan ahead. You need to be very committed, and despite all that, you may not make it to the finish line. But it's still fun and exciting to take on that challenge and see all those who were able to reach the end.
Old 09-15-17, 08:18 PM

I agree with many of the things Trevor says regarding theme nights. I understand how life can get in the way and how difficult it can be to fit in just one entry on some days, but that's the whole reason why I wouldn't want it changed.

It's a big challenge to get in one entry a day, not to mention ensuring you get at least one entry to match the day's theme. It's the only optional item in the challenge that requires you to watch at least one thing each day. The checklist and subset films can all be completed in as few days as you want. You can sprint through them if you choose. The theme days are the marathon. You need to pace yourself and plan ahead. You need to be very committed, and despite all that, you may not make it to the finish line. But it's still fun and exciting to take on that challenge and see all those who were able to reach the end.
Great point clckworang, and part of me completely agrees. But I still think we're not losing anything by slightly loosening it. It doesn't hurt anyone or anything to allow a "cheat day" or two; but it does help anyone who takes advantage of it. The people who do as you say above and work hard to make sure they never miss a day have that sense of accomplishment, and if they care about such things, they know their accomplishment is slightly better than the people who do it "with an asterisk". But if we allow someone with a crazy day or a sick child or some other event making them miss a day still be able to "complete" the theme list, we are gaining a month of mutual participation. Sure, maybe most people who miss a day wouldn't care and would just continue completing the themes and subset as they can, but given the nature of this hobby and Challenges in general, I bet there are a lot of all-or-nothing people. I know of at least one, me! But yeah, good discussion here, just giving Chad some factors to consider before his always wise decisions.
Old 09-16-17, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Added Harry Dean Stanton to the 'Recently Deceased Actor or Director' entry.

The potential wild card additions are on the agenda. Just wanna put getting the lists completed as first priority at the moment.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Another horror legend (Basil Gogos) gone.

Watch a movie that he drew?
Added suggestion to post #9.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I vote for not making things more complicated since I'll be knee-deep in pumpkin ale all month.
Added to post 11.
Old 09-16-17, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

And here's those aforementioned subsets in no particular order. Mull them over as I plug them into a table, which is near completion. Same goes for themes.

Crossover Winners:
Cronos (1993) - Criterion
Arachnophobia (1990) - Comedy
  1. One Dark Night (1982) - Splatter/Gore (Chad)
  2. The Screaming Skull (1958) - Skull & Bones (rbrown498)
  3. C.H.U.D. (1984) - Slime/Goo/Toxic Waste (shellebelle)
  4. Bad Moon (1996) - Werewolves (Darkgod)
  5. Under the Shadow (2016) - Supernatural (pacaway)
  6. Messiah of Evil (1973) - Small Town Horrors (DaveyJoe)
  7. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) - Unlucky Charms (tarfrimmer)
  8. Raw (2016) - Day of the Woman (jacob_b)
  9. Train to Busan (2016) - Zombies (arw6040)
  10. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) - R.I.P. Tobe Hooper (Dick Laurent)
  11. Hobgoblins (1988) - IMDB Lowest Rated (WillieMLF)
  12. The Initiation (1984) - Parties (SethDLH)
  13. Dolls (1987) - It Was A Dark & Stormy Night... (TheBigDave)
  14. +1 (2013) - Evil Twins & Doppelgangers (Undeadcow)
  15. Tales of Halloween (2015) - Horror Anthologies (Mondo Kane)
  16. Alucarda (1977) - Mexico (alyxstarr)
  17. Ganja & Hess (1973) - Vampires (Shack)
  18. Mad Monster Party? (1967) - Animation (clckworang)
  19. The Void (2016) - Nightmares & Dreamscapes (Gobear)
  20. Amer (2009) - Slashers/Giallos/Serial Killers (ororama)
  21. Seeding of a Ghost [Zhong gui] (1983) - Pregnancy (numbercrunch)
  22. Pin (1988) - Friends (mallratcal)
  23. Yongary, Monster from the Deep (1967)
    Highway to Hell (1992) - Chronological Horror Years Faceoff (nezumi)
  24. Bubba Ho-Tep (2002) - Mummies (Trevor)
  25. The Crazies (1973) - R.I.P. George A. Romero (PCBreakdown)
  26. Candyman (1992) - Urban Legends (hbsvb)
  27. Day of the Dead (1985) - 1980s Video Companies Spotlight: Media Home Entertainment (The Man with the Golden Doujinshi)
  28. Martyrs (2008) - RIP Fango/Video Watchdog (Bladz)
  29. The Fog (1980) - The Synth of Fear (Darth Maher)
  30. Witchtrap (1989) - Devil's Night (SterlingBen)
  31. Ghostwatch (1992) - Halloween (cwileyy)

Last edited by Chad; 09-16-17 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-16-17, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good to see the list posted - and bad. There are quite a few on my to-buy list, and I'm afraid I may not be able to resist making those purchases.
Old 09-16-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

That looks like an awesome lineup for the month!
Old 09-16-17, 12:18 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Good to see the list posted - and bad. There are quite a few on my to-buy list, and I'm afraid I may not be able to resist making those purchases.

just checked the list against what i have. I am only missing nine of the titles!
Old 09-16-17, 12:18 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

That's the best subset list I've seen in the 7 years I've participated in the challenge. Looking forward to October.
Old 09-16-17, 02:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, that subset list is awesome!
Old 09-16-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
just checked the list against what i have. I am only missing nine of the titles!
I only own nine of the titles!

Titles that have been on my buy/consideration list:

One Dark Night
CHUD
Messiah of Evil
Train to Busan
The Initiation
Dolls
The Void
Highway to Hell
Bubba Ho-Tep
Handyman
Witchtrap

Good mix of titles this year. I'm glad I held off placing another Code Red order because I think I might be allocating more funds toward subset titles instead.
Old 09-16-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Agreed that this has to be the best subset list yet....I just hope my blind-pick for Tales/Halloween doesn't mess things up So glad that a few more people will get exposed to PIN!
Old 09-16-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For the mummy theme, I own the original and new Mummy movies, and through MaxGo, I have access to the Brendan Fraser trilogy. I do own Bad Moon though, so might watch that movie.
Old 09-16-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Excited to see the subset list, and such a winning one!
14 more days...
Old 09-16-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just bought Mad Monster Party, on Google Play, since I needed a movie for the animated theme.
Old 09-16-17, 04:11 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Here's a preliminary streaming list:

Cronos (1993) - Criterion
Filmstruck - https://watch.filmstruck.com/detail/1300002726

One Dark Night (1982) - Splatter/Gore (Chad)
Amazon Prime - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJCNXF6

The Screaming Skull (1958) - Skull & Bones (rbrown498)
Amazon Prime - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JIXX5Q

C.H.U.D. (1984) - Slime/Goo/Toxic Waste (shellebelle)
Shudder - https://www.shudder.com/watch/c-h-u-d/2325597/1

Bad Moon (1996) - Werewolves (Darkgod)
Shout Factory TV - http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/bad-mo...650d14b501d973

Under the Shadow (2016) - Supernatural (pacaway)
Netflix - https://www.netflix.com/title/80096786

Messiah of Evil (1973) - Small Town Horrors (DaveyJoe)
Amazon Prime - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010XOVSI

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) - Unlucky Charms (tarfrimmer)
Starz - https://www.amazon.com/Friday-13th-P.../dp/B001DCZ4HI

Raw (2016) - Day of the Woman (jacob_b)
Available for Rental/Purchase at Amazon, Vudu, iTunes

Train to Busan (2016) - Zombies (arw6040)
Netflix - https://www.netflix.com/title/80117824

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) - R.I.P. Tobe Hooper (Dick Laurent)
Starz - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Y8RKBY

Hobgoblins (1988) - IMDB Lowest Rated (WillieMLF)
Amazon Prime - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OVNQ83K

The Initiation (1984) - Parties (SethDLH)

Dolls (1987) - It Was A Dark & Stormy Night... (TheBigDave)
Available for Rental/Purchase at Vudu

+1 (2013) - Evil Twins & Doppelgangers (Undeadcow)
Shudder - https://www.shudder.com/watch/plus-one/2898264/1

Tales of Halloween (2015) - Horror Anthologies (Mondo Kane)
Netflix - https://www.netflix.com/title/80076239

Alucarda (1977) - Mexico (alyxstarr)
Not Available

Ganja & Hess (1973) - Vampires (Shack)
Brown Sugar (Amazon add-on) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007UMKJS4

Mad Monster Party? (1967) - Animation (clckworang)

The Void (2016) - Nightmares & Dreamscapes (Gobear)
Netflix - https://www.netflix.com/title/80172701

Amer (2009) - Slashers/Giallos/Serial Killers (ororama)
Not Available

Seeding of a Ghost [Zhong gui] (1983) - Pregnancy (numbercrunch)
Not Available

Pin (1988) - Friends (mallratcal)
Not Available

Yongary, Monster from the Deep (1967)
Available for Rental/Purchase at Amazon

Highway to Hell (1992) - Chronological Horror Years Faceoff (nezumi)
Not Available

Bubba Ho-Tep (2002) - Mummies (Trevor)
Available for Rental/Purchase at iTunes

The Crazies (1973) - R.I.P. George A. Romero (PCBreakdown)
Available for Rental/Purchase at Vudu

Candyman (1992) - Urban Legends (hbsvb)
Starz - https://www.amazon.com/Candyman-Virg...dp/B001AQEIB0/

Day of the Dead (1985) - 1980s Video Companies Spotlight: Media Home Entertainment (The Man with the Golden Doujinshi)
Shudder - https://www.shudder.com/watch/day-of-the-dead/2325533/1

Martyrs (2008) - RIP Fango/Video Watchdog (Bladz)

The Fog (1980) - The Synth of Fear (Darth Maher)
Available for Rental/Purchase at Amazon, Vudu

Witchtrap (1989) - Devil's Night (SterlingBen)
Not Available

Ghostwatch (1992) - Halloween (cwileyy)
Shudder - https://www.shudder.com/watch/ghostwatch/3090117/1

Arachnophobia (1990) - Comedy
Old 09-16-17, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with what others have said before me, one of the best subset lists overall I've seen since joining this challenge. A lot of the titles were already on my to be watched list so that's awesome. Also here is another Basil Gogos list that is more extensive: http://churchofhalloween.com/basil-gogos/ for the checklist.
Old 09-16-17, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm on the fence, but I might buy Yongary. I don't know what I own for 1967, but I love giant monster movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.