Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

    Hide Wikipost
Old 09-23-17, 01:27 PM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Chad
http://www.imdb.com/search/title - IMDB advanced title search
horror films by year starting 1895 - wiki breakdown by decade then year

Print Wikipost

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-17, 06:06 PM   #476
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 568
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

I'll take Vampires if it's still out there.
__________________
Horror Challenges:
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005
Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenges: 2014 2013 2012 2011
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 08:44 PM   #477
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 10,502
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi View Post
I'll get some choices by tomorrow at the latest.
Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack View Post
I'll take Vampires if it's still out there.
That one may have been taken by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi. Just in case it wouldn't be a bad idea to give alternate suggestions from at least one of the other three:
  • 1980s Video Companies: Media Home Entertainment
  • 1967 Vs. 1992
  • R.I.P. Tobe Hooper
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 11:01 PM   #478
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 389
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Might be a bit late but The Pit would be a good suggestion for the Friends subset, and it had a Blu ray release in the past year.
__________________
DVDProfiler DVDAF
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 10:21 AM   #479
Senior Member
 
WillieMLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Not Every Man Really Lives
Posts: 527
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

May want to add Martin Landau (19282017) to the checklist.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 10:38 AM   #480
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,881
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Sounds good.



That one may have been taken by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi. Just in case it wouldn't be a bad idea to give alternate suggestions from at least one of the other three:
  • 1980s Video Companies: Media Home Entertainment
  • 1967 Vs. 1992
  • R.I.P. Tobe Hooper
I'll claim 1980s Video Companies: Media Home Entertainment but also see about alts for the others.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 04:05 PM   #481
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,881
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Here's some picks

1980s Video Companies: Media Home Entertainment
- Sleepaway Camp
- Invaders From Mars (1986)
- Day of the Dead
- Basket Case
- I Drink Your Blood

R.I.P. Tobe Hooper
- Invaders From Mars (1986)

This is a really good site for checking distributor releases http://vhscollector.com/distributor-..._selective=All
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 06:27 PM   #482
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 10,502
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Alright, here's what is left:
  • 1967 Vs. 1992
  • R.I.P. Tobe Hooper

Vampires is reserved for Shack.

And we're still in need of 1 volunteer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieMLF View Post
May want to add Martin Landau (19282017) to the checklist.
Don't know what happened there, but added it back to post 9. Apparently it was either accidentally deleted or didn't make the transition over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi View Post
This is a really good site for checking distributor releases http://vhscollector.com/distributor-..._selective=All
I'll add that as a link. Much easier to navigate.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 08:03 PM   #483
Senior Member
 
numbercrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: new orleans
Posts: 361
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

i have a suggestion for 1967 vs 1992

jess franco's succubus (1967)
Maniac Cop III for 1992
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 09:26 AM   #484
Senior Member
 
WillieMLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Not Every Man Really Lives
Posts: 527
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Alright, here's what is left:
  • 1967 Vs. 1992
  • R.I.P. Tobe Hooper
Are you looking for group suggestions on these?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 10:15 AM   #485
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 568
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Here are two Vampire suggestions, off the top of my head (both available on Netflix streaming):
Byzantium (2012) - which I have seen
Night Watch (2004) - which I have yet to see

Neither has been used before, and they're a little different from most traditional vampire fare.

I can look for more, particularly if you're looking for older selections.
__________________
Horror Challenges:
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005
Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenges: 2014 2013 2012 2011
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 06:55 PM   #486
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 10,502
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieMLF View Post
Are you looking for group suggestions on these?
No, the only group voting left is for the Criterion and comedy crossovers. Those are intended for the remaining volunteers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack View Post
Here are two Vampire suggestions, off the top of my head (both available on Netflix streaming):
Byzantium (2012) - which I have seen
Night Watch (2004) - which I have yet to see

Neither has been used before, and they're a little different from most traditional vampire fare.

I can look for more, particularly if you're looking for older selections.
Well, there's nothing for the 30s or 40s currently, and it's a little light on the 50s and 60s side. That said, pick what you wanna pick. We've skipped decades before.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 08:56 PM   #487
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lost Highway
Posts: 1,086
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

As usual I'm late to the party... So I'll take Tobe Hooper. Are we making a list of movies to choose from to be voted on?
__________________
October Horror Movie Challenge 2017 - 2016 - 2015 - 2014 - 2013 - 2012 - 2011 - 2010 - 2009 - 2008
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 09:03 PM   #488
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 10,502
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent View Post
As usual I'm late to the party... So I'll take Tobe Hooper. Are we making a list of movies to choose from to be voted on?
No, just check post #3 to see what's already been used and give your preferred picks for Tobe Hooper flicks. That's it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 11:34 PM   #489
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lost Highway
Posts: 1,086
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
No, just check post #3 to see what's already been used and give your preferred picks for Tobe Hooper flicks. That's it.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) - Compliments the fact we watched the first one for a previous challenge
Eaten Alive - Haven't seen it but there's been quite a few copies for sale at Ollie's
The Mangler - Another unwatched for me

I haven't checked yet on streaming availability but will do soon.
__________________
October Horror Movie Challenge 2017 - 2016 - 2015 - 2014 - 2013 - 2012 - 2011 - 2010 - 2009 - 2008
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 06:24 PM   #490
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 10,502
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent View Post
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) - Compliments the fact we watched the first one for a previous challenge
Eaten Alive - Haven't seen it but there's been quite a few copies for sale at Ollie's
The Mangler - Another unwatched for me

I haven't checked yet on streaming availability but will do soon.
Got 'em. You're on the list.

And then there was one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 10:57 PM   #491
Senior Member
 
nezumi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 313
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
Chronological Horror Years Faceoff - 1967 (Gold) Vs. 1992 (Silver)
Yongary, Monster from the Deep (1967) Vs. Highway to Hell (1992)

... Or do the movies have to be thematically similar?
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 12:37 AM   #492
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 10,502
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezumi View Post
Yongary, Monster from the Deep (1967) Vs. Highway to Hell (1992)

... Or do the movies have to be thematically similar?
No. Normally only one film is actually used for this one, but I've always liked the idea of using two. Maybe we should give it a trial run this year and see how it works out? We've done it before with the Drive-In Double Feature theme.

Anyway, that's 31 volunteers, and we're actually ahead of schedule! I'll reveal the final product soon.

In the meantime, if you have any checklist suggestions now's a good time to share them. I'll be starting that soon too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 02:50 AM   #493
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,554
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Another horror legend (Basil Gogos) gone.

Watch a movie that he drew?
__________________
F-nado
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 06:27 AM   #494
Senior Member
 
pacaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 921
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
No. Normally only one film is actually used for this one, but I've always liked the idea of using two. Maybe we should give it a trial run this year and see how it works out? We've done it before with the Drive-In Double Feature theme.
Try and put it on a weekend then?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 08:55 AM   #495
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,874
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacaway View Post
Try and put it on a weekend then?
Or make both films the official subset pick, but you only have to watch one to complete the check? Maybe a wildcard for a different missed day if you watch both?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 11:33 AM   #496
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,881
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Maybe a wildcard for a different missed day if you watch both?
I thought subset could be watched any day. It's the theme nights that are daily.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 12:39 PM   #497
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,874
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi View Post
I thought subset could be watched any day. It's the theme nights that are daily.
Yes, but I meant wildcard as in watching both of those would give you an extra check if you missed other subsets.

31 days, 32 films if 1967/1992 is two films, only need to watch 31

This is outside of other possible wild cards of Criterion and Comedy if Chad decides on those.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 12:58 PM   #498
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,154
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Personally I don't like the idea of subset wild cards since there is already a good amount of flexibility of when subset films can be watched. There's already not a great amount of discussion in some of the subset threads; I assume the point is to encourage people to watch and discuss some of the same films and giving an 'opt out' alternative for completion could only weaken participation from those few completist who are active in the subset discussion threads further.

I don't have a solution but it'd be nice to find ways to encourage subset participation more, kind of a bummer some of the graveyard threads. Examples: Young Frankenstein has 5 posts, Bride of Frankenstein has 6 posts, Bio-zombie has 5 posts, 3 posts on Tucker & Dale v Evil, etc etc.

We have discussed the possibility of resurrecting a prior subset film as an option to increase discussion building on some of the previous thoughts [Tucker and Dale, for example, is a popular film I'd have expected more discussion on].
__________________
Horror Challenge: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 | Criterion Challenge: 2012, 2011, 2010
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 01:17 PM   #499
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,686
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

I vote for not making things more complicated since I'll be knee-deep in pumpkin ale all month.
__________________
PSN: DaveyJoeG|Steam: DaveyJoe

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 01:29 PM   #500
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,874
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
Personally I don't like the idea of subset wild cards since there is already a good amount of flexibility of when subset films can be watched. There's already not a great amount of discussion in some of the subset threads; I assume the point is to encourage people to watch and discuss some of the same films and giving an 'opt out' alternative for completion could only weaken participation from those few completist who are active in the subset discussion threads further.

I don't have a solution but it'd be nice to find ways to encourage subset participation more, kind of a bummer some of the graveyard threads. Examples: Young Frankenstein has 5 posts, Bride of Frankenstein has 6 posts, Bio-zombie has 5 posts, 3 posts on Tucker & Dale v Evil, etc etc.

We have discussed the possibility of resurrecting a prior subset film as an option to increase discussion building on some of the previous thoughts [Tucker and Dale, for example, is a popular film I'd have expected more discussion on].
Agree with your desire to encourage participation in the threads, but my two ideas would do nothing to discourage it. If anything, they'd increase participation. They'd give people a couple options to still "complete" that checklist, thus encouraging them to continue. Now, I imagine some people miss a couple themes, or can't find or refuse to watch a couple subset films, so they give up on the rest and decrease our postings and discussion.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0